Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #180568 01/26/14 06:26 AM
    G
    GHS Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Has anyone tried the EPGY math for Kindergarten? I am just curious to see if it is worth it. I am considering signing up DD this summer just to give us something fun to do together... but I want to make sure it actually is fun, worth the cost, ect. Does anyone know of where to get a sample lesson for K on EPGY?

Thanks!

P
    P
    There is very little "Kindergarten" material in EPGY because there is very little math taught in Kindergartens and the EPGY grade levels equate to the grade the topics are usually taught in schools -- they don't equate to the grade/age level the child should be completing that course. My son started EPGY in the middle of K when we pulled him out to homeschool. He completed all of EPGY Kindergarten in a single afternoon. But a benefit of using EPGY is that a child can continue working ahead at his or her own pace. I recall 1st grade took a few weeks and then second grade took a few months. Third grade also took a few months at which point we took a break to work on multiplication facts. So he completed through third grade in about 8 months.

EPGY used to have a few samples of lectures and a list of all the topics covered at each grade level, but I can no longer find them since they've updated their website. You could try emailing them and asking for a list.

P
    P
    I should add that DS would not call EPGY "fun" and it isn't designed with any bells and whistles to help engage the kids. But it does a great job at moving kids through the material at a reasonable pace.

R
    R
    DS did EPGY 5th/6th, PreAlgebra, Algebra and Intermediate Algebra. He also did them very quickly and liked the courses. We had a pretty negative experience with Geometry that seems to be a combination of some staffing issues and their Proof Environment.

We are now looking for a different Geometry course but plan to give EPGY another shot after that since that was the only really bad experience he had with EPGY.

M
    M
    rather look at Dreambox.com. It's a lot more fun and intuitive for kids. Dylan will be starting this mid way through this year I think. Right now he does SEMAS (japanese abacus) classes and loves that. We use a lot of the concepts at home in gardening, baking, shopping etc and he is loving figuring out on his abacus how many things we need.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    G
    GHS Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    thanks for that suggestion! That looks fun.

T
    T
    I can't imagine a five year old enjoying EPGY.

There are lots of fun math apps which are a lot more suitable for young children. I can't recommend any specifically, but Splash math is fun for slightly older kids. It seemed to me that K math is counting to 100 and addition and subtraction within 10.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by GHS
    thanks for that suggestion! That looks fun.

Dreambox is totally fun! smile try the free 2 week trial and take it from there smile

If you look on the homeschool coop site you will often find discounted subscriptions etc (if you are going to use homeschool co op I am going to ask that you let me know and I will send you a referral link as you get points that add up for free stuff! haha)

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    M
    M
    EPGY gets good around grade 2, and Dreambox falls apart around grade 2. K5 Learning is not a bad alternative for the K-2 years, but I would definitely recommend moving to EPGY after that.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by mykids
    Dreambox falls apart around grade 2.

Interesting. DD tested out of most of K and 1st during the first few days then when she hit some walls doing second grade work, it wasn't fun for her anymore. She found it too frustrating yet she got the concepts offscreen with manipulatives without any problems.

Since then, I've gotten her a 100 board, unifix cubes with trains, and a set of place value blocks, and fraction wooden blocks. She spends about an hour a day, a few times a week experimenting with patterns (multiplication, fractions, divisions, etc) and whatever else she's doing. I don't know if & when I should start more structured math instruction with her using a curriculum but for now, she seems to be having fun discovering on her own. I might add a few more Montessori style materials if budget allows. I also think she'd enjoy Hand-On-Equations but we'll wait until she is older. I really am trying not to be the tiger mom because I'm tempted to find out how far her math talent runs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM