Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 292 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #180561 01/25/14 09:42 PM
    OP Offline
    DD11 was doing training for a girl scout cadette thing last week that will allow her to be a camp counselor assistant and part of the training was looking at characteristics of younger girls. I think the most profound thing she came away with was a new perspective on her younger sister (DD6). She tends to think of DD6 as a pain and a "little kid", but has little experience with other 5/6 year olds, so doesn't see the differences between her sister and other kids her age. After this training though she came away with the perspective that her sister, who is a daisy, has many more characteristics of a brownie or junior than she does of a daisy(Daisys are kindergarten and grade 1, brownies are grades 2 and 3 and juniors are grades 4 and 5). It was pretty shocking for her to find that most 5/6 year olds can't do what her sister can do or act like her sister can or even would react the way described in her training. What I thought was so cool was that she was seeing differences that DH and I have seen in both daughters, but it was her first experience as the outsider looking at her sister to see how very different she really is, and in turn, how different she must have been from others her age when she was young. She asked if it was as obvious to us as it had become to her about their differences. When I said yes, she thought about it for a while and said something along the lines of "ok, now I understand why I had such difficulty in elementary school."
    I was wondering if others have had their children go through a similar experience and if it changed their perspective on their younger sibling?

T
    T
    That is awesome for your older daughter! She sounds like a great girl.

I was not more emotionally mature, and neither is my daughter. I think I seriously lagged emotionally. I had a big vocabulary and could grasp abstract concepts, but, I did socially inappropriate things for my age and felt awkward and uncomfortable a lot. I now see some of this in my daughter and it breaks my heart. I can't tell if she is trying to dumb herself down to blend in with her peers, or, if like me, she lives so much inside her own head that she misses the nuances and subtleties of her peers.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent