Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #179944 01/19/14 12:10 AM
    Y
    Yewumei Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    We just got my ds5 tested on WPPSI-IV. We are puzzled by a subtest called cancellation. He got 37% in this subtest. His other related scores are high. bug search 17 (99%) , block design 19 (beyond 99%), overall fsiq is 144. I emailed the psychologist but did not get response yet. I know people on this board are very knowledgeable. I am wondering if some one could provide some insights or hypothesis that I should pay attention to. Thanks in advance.

According to wikipedia:

Cancellation (supplemental)- children scan random and structured arrangements of pictures and marks specific target pictures within a limited amount of time.

This page - http://testingforkindergarten.com/u...rb-how-is-it-different-from-the-old-test has much more info:

With this subtest, a sample of which is shown from the test publisher’s brochure, children ages 4:0 to 7:7 are shown a series of related objects – in this case, items of clothing. They are then shown an organized (i.e. in rows) and later, an unorganized (i.e. “random”) page filled with items of clothing mixed with other child-friendly items like toys, animals, cars, etc. The child must use his ink dauber and stamp each item of clothing that he sees within a specified time. Some good activities to do with your child to build the skills required to do well on this visual-recognition/classification subtest are the “Spot it, Jr.” games, which can be found at Amazon.com. I would also recommend “Where’s Waldo” books, also available at Amazon.com. Another great item to build your child’s visual-spatial reasoning skills needed to perform this activity are the “I Spy” books. You can buy these at the pre-school level and let your child work her way up to trickier and more complex arrays of hidden items. Children love these books and they have no idea that they are building their non-verbal intelligence when they work with them. You can also get these books at Amazon.com.

Looks like he might have not understood the directions, or not been interested, if he did well on all the other subtests. I would imagine this subtest could be highly affected by vision challenges or fine motor control issues.

~amy
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by epoh
    Looks like he might have not understood the directions, or not been interested, if he did well on all the other subtests. I would imagine this subtest could be highly affected by vision challenges or fine motor control issues.

Ditto!

If you haven't received any feedback from the person who administered the test, I'd ask for their input - their observations during testing might give you a clue re whether or not it was an attention issue or possibly something fine-motor or vision related. You can also think through whether or not you've noticed any signs of potential issues with either fine motor control or vision, although for some of our 2e kids, those issues don't become apparent until they are a few years older and into a few years of elementary school. I'd also ask the tester what order the subtests were given in to see if cancellation was one of the last out of a long set of subtests or if it was right before lunch etc - times your ds might be tired, hungry or distracted.

In the meantime, if you don't see anything outside of this one test that is a concern re either fine motor or vision issues, I wouldn't worry about it too much at all at this point in time. It could be as simple as he was working slowly to be careful to not miss anything - cancellation is a timed test, and most of the other subtests are not timed.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Y
    Yewumei Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    According to wikipedia:

Cancellation (supplemental)- children scan random and structured arrangements of pictures and marks specific target pictures within a limited amount of time.

This page - http://testingforkindergarten.com/u...rb-how-is-it-different-from-the-old-test has much more info:

With this subtest, a sample of which is shown from the test publisher�s brochure, children ages 4:0 to 7:7 are shown a series of related objects � in this case, items of clothing. They are then shown an organized (i.e. in rows) and later, an unorganized (i.e. �random�) page filled with items of clothing mixed with other child-friendly items like toys, animals, cars, etc. The child must use his ink dauber and stamp each item of clothing that he sees within a specified time. Some good activities to do with your child to build the skills required to do well on this visual-recognition/classification subtest are the �Spot it, Jr.� games, which can be found at Amazon.com. I would also recommend �Where�s Waldo� books, also available at Amazon.com. Another great item to build your child�s visual-spatial reasoning skills needed to perform this activity are the �I Spy� books. You can buy these at the pre-school level and let your child work her way up to trickier and more complex arrays of hidden items. Children love these books and they have no idea that they are building their non-verbal intelligence when they work with them. You can also get these books at Amazon.com.

Thank you very much. I never thought it can be related to vision challenge. He is a little short sighted. He was on the curtoff for short-sightedness. Maybe I should check his vision again. Are there any other potential vision problems which may have an impact?

Y
    Yewumei Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    Originally Posted by polarbear

Ditto!

If you haven't received any feedback from the person who administered the test, I'd ask for their input - their observations during testing might give you a clue re whether or not it was an attention issue or possibly something fine-motor or vision related. You can also think through whether or not you've noticed any signs of potential issues with either fine motor control or vision, although for some of our 2e kids, those issues don't become apparent until they are a few years older and into a few years of elementary school. I'd also ask the tester what order the subtests were given in to see if cancellation was one of the last out of a long set of subtests or if it was right before lunch etc - times your ds might be tired, hungry or distracted.

In the meantime, if you don't see anything outside of this one test that is a concern re either fine motor or vision issues, I wouldn't worry about it too much at all at this point in time. It could be as simple as he was working slowly to be careful to not miss anything - cancellation is a timed test, and most of the other subtests are not timed.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Thank you, Polarbear. It is frustrating to wait for response. I will contact her again since it was a long weekend. I read a little about 2e, which typically will have some similar pattern. He could focus on interesting things for a long time such as one hour on Lego project but he is also very energetic/restless. I will keep research into 2e.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent