Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 304 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    KADmom #179942 01/18/14 09:19 PM
    B
    B
    In my school district they use the OLSAT. BUT there are 3 different ways to identify and one is my independent physiological testing. Perhaps since she has had the WISC IV done they could excuse her from the unnecessary test.

P
    P
    Not necessarily harmless. It can vastly underestimate the scores for HG+ kids and the school could use any diacrepency between the cogat and the wisc against you at a later date.

KADmom #179950 01/19/14 06:53 AM
    K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Agreeing with puffin here. If he doesn't do well on the CogAT, they could decide to un-identify him.

KADmom #179952 01/19/14 07:37 AM
    B
    B
    My DD's Cog AT composite was about 35 points lower than her WISC GAI. Most of the problem was that it is timed and she has no sense of time and processing speed issues.
    The district said they would take outside results like the WISC but I had to inquire about this. Otherwise they would have just given her the Cog AT again the next year.
    I also think there is a time limit on outside test results they will consider. They probably won't take anything that's older than the previous school year. So my DS took the WISC but they probably won't accept that when it's time for him to be eligible for g/t.

Kai #179953 01/19/14 07:57 AM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Kai
    Agreeing with puffin here. If he doesn't do well on the CogAT, they could decide to un-identify him.

Here again--you might want to read the rules. Every district is different. In our district it is hard to get identified and harder still to get services, but once a child is identified, they do not un-identify them later.

blackcat #179954 01/19/14 09:28 AM
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    My DD's Cog AT composite was about 35 points lower than her WISC GAI. Most of the problem was that it is timed and she has no sense of time and processing speed issues.
    The district said they would take outside results like the WISC but I had to inquire about this. Otherwise they would have just given her the Cog AT again the next year.
    I also think there is a time limit on outside test results they will consider. They probably won't take anything that's older than the previous school year. So my DS took the WISC but they probably won't accept that when it's time for him to be eligible for g/t.

The GAI can also be dicey in many places- the regulations on FSIQ vs GAI can be vague, and many administrators don't understand GAI. A full psychologist's report is often helpful, but I know people who have encountered roadblocks on this point.

KADmom #179955 01/19/14 09:40 AM
    L
    L
    I'd have to agree with PP, I don't think it is harmless. If your DC already has the WISC scores, I'd inquire first, before having them take the CogAT. If the CogAT comes back lower than needed, some districts with limited space, might use that to try to keep a child out of the program.

It also depends on how high of a CogAT score they are looking for - this varies greatly.

FWIW, DD's CogATs and Wechsler tests (she did NOT take the WISC, but the Wechsler test selected and administered by the school), were consistent, with her individual FSIQ being higher than her CogAT score. As you probably already know, though, this has NOT been the experience of everyone on this board. The CogAT seems to "miss" many children who score very high on a WISC.

All our best to you and your DS!

geofizz #179959 01/19/14 11:55 AM
    B
    B
    Yep, believe me, when I had the WISC done on DD I did so with great trepidation, not knowing it would help us. I knew she had processing speed issues before she even took it, so I asked the psych if she could report the GAI and explain in the report why the GAI was needed. Also, I turned in an article to the school with the report stating that the GAI is a better measure of giftedness than FSIQ. I think her FSIQ would have met their cut-off anyway. But with processing speed so low it would have been close. The CogAT and WISC also have different standard deviations so the district was saying that they wanted 139 on the CogAT. DD's FSIQ WISC was slightly lower but equivalent to around 139 on the CogAT if you consider the different percentiles. It's easier to get a 139 on the CogAT than it is to get a 139 on the WISC.

The CogAT supposedly tests nonverbal and verbal reasoning ability, same as the GAI of the WISC, so I'm not sure why a district would insist upon using data from working memory or processing speed. I think most districts simply don't know much about the tests they are administering OR about other intelligence tests. The district's g/t coordinator told me they'd have to look at the math section of DD's WISC to make sure it was above the 98th percentile cut-off they want, just like her math achievement test scores. But there is no math reasoning section on the WISC! Hello? Good luck with that folks.

At this point I'm so sick of even thinking about it, and if it turns out they are that clueless and can't see reason (which hopefully isn't the case but I don't know since I never get straight answers about anything), I don't want DD in their program anyway. Luckily we have other options for enrollment, which I know other people don't.

Originally Posted by geofizz

The GAI can also be dicey in many places- the regulations on FSIQ vs GAI can be vague, and many administrators don't understand GAI. A full psychologist's report is often helpful, but I know people who have encountered roadblocks on this point.

blackcat #179961 01/19/14 12:35 PM
    K
    Kai Offline
    K
    The CogAT supposedly tests nonverbal and verbal reasoning ability, same as the GAI of the WISC, so I'm not sure why a district would insist upon using data from working memory or processing speed.

The problem is that the CogAT really does place a premium on processing speed and working memory. To do well on the CogAT, you need to be *fast* and for some of the subtests, you need to be able to hold several things in mind if you are going to be quick. Frankly, I think the CogAT is more about processing speed and working memory than what it purports to test.

Kai #179962 01/19/14 01:12 PM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Kai
    The CogAT supposedly tests nonverbal and verbal reasoning ability, same as the GAI of the WISC, so I'm not sure why a district would insist upon using data from working memory or processing speed.

The problem is that the CogAT really does place a premium on processing speed and working memory. To do well on the CogAT, you need to be *fast* and for some of the subtests, you need to be able to hold several things in mind if you are going to be quick. Frankly, I think the CogAT is more about processing speed and working memory than what it purports to test.

Interesting. It probably catches the high achievers then and misses a lot of 2e kids. I would love to know how many of the younger kids finish it within the time limit. DD finished the verbal section and her score on that was at least somewhat close to the verbal WISC score. But the other two, which she didn't come close to finishing, were way off. Kids who are slow end up basically eliminated from consideration for g/t programs, esp. if the school has really high cut scores.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM