Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Here's a nice discussion of test prep on Hoagies Gifted, by Aimee Yermish: How to prepare for testing

E
    E
    Originally Posted by mdc
    Thank you all for your input. Let me first state that I am not a pushy parent (I'm a concerned and involved parent) and I find it rather unkind to use the word cribbing for my attempt to just familiarize my child with the question format, a format that is not part of the regular curriculum. There will be 1 year and 9 months in between the 2 tests. I agree with Cricket2 that my goal is to ascertain my child's needs and the right placement for my daughter, not to get a high enough score to reach a cut-point for a program! She is in the higher percentiles (that's what her NNAT test showed as well) and I would like to make sure that if she qualifies that she can at least participate in the part-time AAP program if not the full level 4 program. I like the suggestion of an individual test as well.

Yes, but I think the main point is that the test is standardized against thousands of other kids who also weren't familiar with the question format in any way, so a lack of preparedness on that point should not be a factor in a child's score.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by mdc
    Thank you all for your input. Let me first state that I am not a pushy parent (I'm a concerned and involved parent) and I find it rather unkind to use the word cribbing for my attempt to just familiarize my child with the question format, a format that is not part of the regular curriculum. There will be 1 year and 9 months in between the 2 tests.

Someone created on a list of CogAT preparation books on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Cognitive-Abilities-Test-Preparation-CogAT/lm/R1DE9PK4L9WKN8 . Some of the books have favorable reviews from parents who were not preparing their kids for the CogAT. I don't know if these books work, but I don't see much harm in trying. If a gifted program is not right for your child you can take her out.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    K
    K
    The standardized conditions for administering the CogAT are to have just as much preparation as the test publisher provides, which is quite a lot, actually. (A psychologist I know points out that the SAT is quite a good general mental ability test precisely because all test-takers have the same opportunity to find full-length practice tests before taking the SAT for keeps.) For a LOT more about the background of how the CogAT was designed, see the test author's faculty webpage, with many documents free from the downloading.

http://faculty.education.uiowa.edu/david-lohman/home

"Students have no shortcomings, they have only peculiarities." Israel Gelfand
    P
    P
    So really admission isn't by giftedness at all. It is simply who gets the highest marks in an admission test. In which case why not give them a test and call it a high achievers class rather than playing lip service to the notion of giftedness?

B
    B
    I was talking to some other parents in our gifted chapter who said they had their kids practice for the CogAT on the computer and their scores went up a lot the second time. These kids are in the gifted magnet. The district itself says it's an "ability" test not an IQ test. But then they call it a "gifted" program. They should just call it an "Honors" program for high achievers and leave it at that.
    If some people prep their kids and those are the kids who get in, I would do it as well if prepping raises scores. Luckily I didn't have to do that because the district said they'd take outside WISC scores.

M
    M
    My ds hated the OLSAT. I know different test. It would be like pulling teeth to have him prep for a second dose of that. He does not mind MAP testing, he says it is getting to take too long. He did not mind the EXPLORE either. He hated the OLSAT and it showed.

But—I would definetely make sure he knew the format. I don't know I would go further then the sample questions provided. I don't know, Maybe I would.

Last edited by mecreature; 01/17/14 02:04 PM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM