Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    mom2007 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hello everyone,
    I need some advise on what should we do.

My son who is in the first grade showed no growth on his last MAP test. In the begging of the year his Math score was 204 points, which placed him in 99 student %tile, and Reading - 202 points with same 99 student %tile.

Few weeks ago they took second MAP test (half way through the school year) and he showed the same score in math and just 4 points growth in Reading section. His Teacher saying it is normal, and we should not worry. Really?!?!?

At the same time his behavior changing. He is talking at school to other kids, falling asleep during math center and not doing work that is given to him (he says that he is tired of doing same stuff over and over). the worst thing is that yesterday and today I received an email from teacher saying that he is mean to kids, and we as parents have to do something.
    Any suggestions on what should we do? How can we handle this situation?
    Thank in advance.

J
    J
    How frustrating! Are these MAP scores from NWEA assessments? First of all, from what my DS's (3rd grade) and DD's (1st grade) teachers have explained to us about NWEAs, when they are in the 99th percentile, it is harder to get points and the assessment isn't as accurate for your student. However, in our experience, the teacher has noticed what was covered in the test that wasn't known, then covered that information. We have been blessed to have responsive teachers who make sure our kids meet or exceed their individual yearly growth, not just the score range goals for their grade. I think DD's yearly growth goal is 17 in math and 15 in reading, with scores comparable to your son's. She has already met her math goal and is 3 points away from reading, only halfway through the year.

The behavior issues seem to reflect what the MAP scores say. Your son isn't being sufficiently challenged and growing, so he is keeping himself busy in other ways. If it was me, I would arrange a conference with the teacher and make a joint plan to differentiate instruction. I would be surprised if the behavior problems persisted after he gets engaged in learning, again.

N
    N
    Originally Posted by jwertz
    First of all, from what my DS's (3rd grade) and DD's (1st grade) teachers have explained to us about NWEAs, when they are in the 99th percentile, it is harder to get points and the assessment isn't as accurate for your student.

I'm not sure what they're telling you makes sense. The tests go to 300, so there is plenty of room to grow, and 99th percentile is only for that grade level -- the same number is a lower percentile for a higher grade. I can see what they *might* mean, in a way -- it's hard to gain points when they aren't actually teaching anything at the level he needs to be learning. But the assessment is perfectly capable of showing that growth, if they manage to make it.

What I mean, for the OP here, is that 204 in fall math is 99th percentile for 1st grade (197 is where 99th percentile starts), and 97th percentile for 2nd grade, and 83rd percentile for 3rd grade. He sits there looking good for the school's record, but gaining no ground -- in order to gain a year's growth starting from 204, he should be hitting about 213 to 216 by the same time next year. The purpose of NWEA is to show growth, and it should be a year's growth for a year's time, regardless of where they start.

And jwertz hits the nail on the head, there -- he's not learning anything, as demonstrated by their tests, and so obviously he has to be doing *something*, which in this case is sleeping, stirring up the other kids, and being bored.

It's a good idea to substitute "not being challenged" for "bored" in that statement when speaking to school people. Sometimes they don't like that, either.

--Edited because my figures were off the first time. Found the right chart.--

Last edited by Nautigal; 01/24/14 04:06 PM.
    Z
    Z
    And thus it begins. So the school is taking no responsibiliy for making sure he is growing and learning and also doesn't want to take reponsibility for classroom management. That you are here seems to imply that you know what he needs and what the problem is. The next question is how to get him the sort of education that he needs to be happy and challenged and grow and reach towards his potential. Some people test into gifted programs, private school, skip grades, home school, supplement at home, send harder work into school.

Last edited by Zen Scanner; 01/24/14 07:54 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations