Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    My 4th grader recently asked that I teach/tutor her in history. She is disappointed that history isn't taught until middle school. She is particularly interested in Ancient Greece and Ancient Egypt.

We have some history books at home, but I was wondering if anyone has favorites. Lexile level is around 7th-8th grade, if that matters in choosing a text.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    I really like K12's Human Odyssey series (three volumes).

M
    M
    I love Usborne books for history:

http://www.usborne.com/catalogue/history.aspx?cat=1&area=H&subcat=

and DS9 is in love with the Horrible Histories books.

S
    S
    What state ... Private message me if you don't want to post it

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    We are in PA.

L
    laurel
    Unregistered
    laurel
    Unregistered
    L
    For a compelling and readable narrative overview, I'd recommend Story of the World (Vol. 1). It covers ancient history in a compelling way -- meant for elementary but I enjoy it, too. We liked the audio version.

Greek myth, greek plays, the Odyssey. You could start with an abbreviated version of the Odyssey and then move into a longer translation.

George O'Connor's graphic novel series about the Greek gods were a hit here (he took some liberties with the stories so don't read if you're a purist, but we enjoyed comparing versions and these are gripping). For example, Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess: http://www.amazon.com/Athena-Grey-Eyed-Olympians-George-OConnor/dp/1596434325/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Horrible Histories are hilarious (book and video versions).

Documentaries about archeology and history...

That's probably enough to start!

Not such a fan of ancient Egypt smile

C
    C
    History isn't taught till middle school?!? Presumably the schools would claim they teach history in an integrated way, combined with other subjects, not that they don't teach it at all?

My 2pworth is that though narrative is great, a gifted 4th grader is likely to be able to cope with more than just narrative - I'm very uncomfortable with the SotW approach because it (apparently) doesn't really do history beyond stories. The most interesting part of history is the evidence and its interpretation!

A general point, then, is that you might consider books written for UK schools, because history here is evidential from the start. For example, So you really want to learn History is supposed to be good, though it's English history. (Key Stage 3 begins at age 11, fwiw.)

Not a book, but have you considered the Great Courses? We all very much enjoyed Bob Brier's History of Ancient Egypt when DS was about that age. He also has shorter courses there on Egypt, and has written several books, though I haven't seen any of them.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. We do have some of the Horrible Histories, as well as the Usborne World History. We also have something called The History Book - cartoon style history since beginning of time until present - and I really like that one.

I ordered a used copy of Volume 1 of Human Odyssey, so we'll try that. I like the So You Really Want to Learn History. I might need to make a UK Amazon account (already have had a .fr account for years).

ColinsMum, the public schools don't really seem to teach history until 6th grade. DD9 was in a private French immersion school through 3rd grade, so she did get history there. Probably didn't get a lot of US History since the school was very European in teaching style and mainly used French textbooks. As my DD18 looked back on her K-12 years, she realized that she preferred the French school curriculum, at least for the elementary years.

P
    P
    We didn't get history until the equivalent of 10tb grade and then it was a great disappointment. There are heaps of books though. I would just get a stack from the library and see what gets most interest.

S
    S
    Here in k-5 it is more social studies...which is different than history.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM