Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #179675 01/15/14 01:23 PM
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Hello! I am new here grin

My 3rd grade son took the ITBS and scored 97% math, 94% reading and 97% core composite. I had him take the SCAT because he was interested in some summer programs. I was really surprised that he only got 46% (434) in quantitative and 31% (422) in verbal (took the 5th grade test). He usually tests well. I don't know if maybe I should have him re-tested in a year or just call it a day. I did not reallt prepare him ..just told him to relax and do his best. Any other opinions/experiences with the SCAT?

LuluBell #179779 01/16/14 10:08 PM
    S
    S
    I had my daughter (5th grader) retake it because she only qualified for the summer camp with her verbal scores and she wanted a science camp (needed qualifying math score).

We homeschool so she isn't used to these kinds of tests and I think it just hurt her the first time around. I spent some time with her discussing basics of taking tests (like keep an eye on the clock, make sure you answer every question and guess if you don't know). When she retested a couple of months after the first session she brought her scores up around 15 percentile points on each of those two sections and more than qualified for the science camp she wanted.

I realize this is not a popular opinion around here but I don't see the harm in making sure they understand the ground rules before they go in. Possibly he just had an off day? The other thing is he is getting compared against fifth graders whereas ITBS is usually against his own grade.

Consider repeating the testing.

LuluBell #179780 01/16/14 10:31 PM
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by LuluBell
    My 3rd grade son took the ITBS and scored 97% math, 94% reading and 97% core composite. I had him take the SCAT because he was interested in some summer programs. I was really surprised that he only got 46% (434) in quantitative and 31% (422) in verbal (took the 5th grade test).

Welcome, LuluBell!

One question I have is about the level of the SCAT he took. The SCAT is set at a grade level roughly 1-3 years above the test's stated grade (see here). So I'm curious about why he took the 5th grade test if he's in 3rd grade. IMO, it might be better to have him retake the third grade test if he still wants to try a CTY summer program.

For what it's worth, the ITBS is an achievement test designed to assess learning. It's set at grade level.

Hope that helps.

LuluBell #180432 01/24/14 03:57 PM
    T
    T
    My daughter took the SCAT in 2nd grade, she scored a 445/92% Verbal and 447/90% Quant (Math). We did go over the format of the test, and very briefly the idea of analogies, as she hadn't really done that before. I printed out the practice questions for her to get a feel for the structure of the test. All told, she probably spent 30-45 minutes in "test-prep." The tests are normed for 2 grades above, so that is normal for the SCAT.

As a point of reference at the end of 3rd grade she took the ITBS for end of year 4th grade, because of a considered grade skip (above level testing), her score here were:

Reading: 95%
    Math: 99%
    Social Studies: 98%
    Science 99%
    Composite: 99%

No preparation for this, as she had taken the ITBS before.

We homeschool now and do use Hopkins online coursework, as well as Northwestern University's gifted online coursework. It is a God send

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets