Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #179502 01/14/14 07:16 AM
    Jtooit Offline OP
    OP Offline
    We are relocating in the next 6 to 18 months to Pennsylvania. My DH's job is located near Reading. DH is more than willing to drive a distance to work if need be. We looking for districts people have been happy with overall. Districts that have gifted programming would be a top priority for us. Both kids would qualify for any program cuts I have ever seen. In looking online, it's looking pretty bad from the our current schooling situation. I have my dd7 and DS 14 DYS. DS14 is likely to consider online schooling to finish HS mixed with some college classes. DD7 is the one we have a bigger concern with finding a good situation. She is a blender and only give what a teacher ask her for. She is currently in a challenging school that pushes her. I'm concerned about moving to a less challenging environment. In a weak school, she will look so far ahead they won't feel a need to keep her going. Any PA information would be appreciated. Even what are dual/enrollment or partial homeschool options for both kids. Hopefully some information that makes me look forward to the move smile TIA

Jtooit #179531 01/14/14 10:39 AM
    N
    N
    We are in southeastern PA. Most of the good schools - public and private - are located on the Main Line. Housing is pricey but there are some modest homes at a reasonable price. While your DH is willing to travel, these schools are probably about an hour from Reading. However, drive should be reasonably easy taking the Turnpike.

Here is a link to PA schools SAT scores.
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/porta..._system/20965/sat_and_act_scores/1339721

I am quite familiar with the district listed right above Reading. Reading SD SAT scores are abysmal, and you probably wouldn't want to live in Reading proper anyway.

Also, an article on good schools in southeastern PA. First school listed, Masterman, is probably out of the running as it is a selective school that starts in middle school. HS probably has half the number of kids that are in middle school - I think if you aren't in the mix in middle school, probably very tough to get in there. And it is in Philadelphia, so if you don't get in there, you are going to a cruddy public school.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/print-edition/2012/12/14/Top_grades.html?page=all

I don't know about partial homeschooling, but homeschoolers in PA are allowed to participate in the local school district's sports and other after school activities.

I really don't think that HG/PG kids are truly challenged at any school, but in the good districts, they will have some other HG/PG kids that they can relate to. Also, there are a ton of great colleges on the Main Line - kids who run out of course work (typically in math) often attend college courses. There are three four-year colleges within a mile of our district HS, so it isn't tough to do.

Jtooit #180064 01/20/14 03:31 PM
    I
    I
    I second the Mainline. Not that I am located there frown ... First of all, it's a lovely area - quite pretty. They have great summer camps up there at the colleges. I work up there currently and am sending my sons to some summer camps this summer at Villinova and Rosemont. And I 'hear' great things about Radnor SD. I know a guy who was fully homeschooled in the Radnor district (very wealthy family and he was homeschooled via private tutors) but he participated in all of the extracurriculars and sports at the school. It is a rather wealthy area.

Unionville-Chaddsford District is suppose to be good too. Again, no real personal experience except that DS does chess club there. I do have a friend whose daughter is there and last I heard her daughter was bored to tears but no g/t until 3rd. I am not sure how they ID gifted but she didn't say her daughter got in in third grade.

Jtooit #180068 01/20/14 05:20 PM
    Jtooit Offline OP
    OP Offline
    We have looked in the mainline area. I think it's outside of our reach for our needs unless we give up all the music lessons, camps, and enjoy eating Ramon noodles for every meal. smile We are looking into cyber school or Early college programs for DYS DS 14. He has enough credits to graduate quiet early. DD7 is another story. I am going to request her current school write up a GIEP. I think they will given they know her levels and the curriculum is advanced at her school. It was unnecessary in her current school to ask for one, but in a weak school it will be a must. We have been very spoiled in our current location. It has been a real bless for my oldest two. It will be an adjust for us in a new place.

I am wondering if the new district will accept another districts GIEP. She has WISC, WIAT, WJ, and IBST administered by the school district. It's not private testing. I am hoping to visit some districts in March to ask them some of these questions. I am not completely ruling out homeschool, but I would like to give public a try.

Jtooit #180070 01/20/14 05:52 PM
    The West Shore area is the only other place in anywhere nearby in Central PA that would possibly provide what you need.

I don't know anything about the Hershey schools.

The problem there would be the commute.

JonLaw #180071 01/20/14 06:15 PM
    Jtooit Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ugh! That's why we've been avoiding this relocation for years. We just can't avoid it anymore believe me we done everything to try.

We lived in Hershey almost 15 years ago. I was happy with the district but I didn't have the educational challenges I do now. My oldest was an undiagnosed dyslexic. They were good for him, but no gifted issues to deal with. The commute from Hershey or West Shore to his job looks about the same 60 plus miles. I'm really torn on that. We would like to see him every now and then. The very nature of his job makes the hours a bit crazy and him making it to school meetings or extra curriculars would be next never.

This stinks! Hmmm...well I'll keeping looking for the least bad options and be prepared to Homeschool DD. DS14 is really motivated to work hard for an early college opportunity. He seems to have a new fire under his bottom over the idea. I never considered him for public school in PA but I was hoping for something for her.

Jtooit #180072 01/20/14 06:30 PM

Lots of people seem to commute crazy distances to work in PA.

I would never want a 60 mile commute, personally.

The problem with Reading is that it just isn't one of those places that people generally want to live in PA.

Granted, it's better than Altoona.

Jtooit #180073 01/20/14 06:54 PM
    Jtooit Offline OP
    OP Offline
    We have no intention of living in Reading. Anyone know about the areas southwest or west towards Lancaster county?

Jtooit #180822 01/28/14 07:53 PM
    Jtooit Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for the suggests. I will definitely look into the areas you mentioned. I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible before I visit. I lived in central PA such a short time many years ago. I can't say I have a feel for it. My DH has commuted via airplane for 18 months and gets the general feeling of Reading. He is not impressed shall we say. Unfortunately, his coworkers have very different needs and don't really have helpful suggestions.

I pretty much know I am not going to replace my current situation but I'm hoping to get a school that will work with us and we can give it a try. Homeschooling is not off the table, but my DD really loves being around peers daily. She has complained this week as we our on our 3rd Snow day tomorrow.

All input is very appreciated!

Jtooit #180823 01/28/14 07:56 PM
    Jtooit Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for the suggests. I will definitely look into the areas you mentioned. I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible before I visit. I lived in central PA such a short time many years ago. I can't say I have a feel for it. My DH has commuted via airplane for 18 months and gets the general feeling of Reading. He is not impressed shall we say. Unfortunately, his coworkers have very different needs and don't really have helpful suggestions.

I pretty much know I am not going to replace my current situation but I'm hoping to get a school that will work with us and we can give it a try. Homeschooling is not off the table, but my DD really loves being around peers daily. She has complained this week as we our on our 3rd Snow day tomorrow.

All input is very appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...