Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 435 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #179347 01/12/14 09:37 PM
    J
    jazzy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I just had my child tested with a Ph.D. who said he would choose between the Wechsler and Reynolds Intellectual Assessment Scale,after speaking to the child.He picked the latter,saying it was a valid test to get into the gifted program if they had at least 130 score.They did and the results will be mailed to me.Now from what I am seeing online,that there's a possibility what he said about being valid is wrong.Anyone knowledgeable about this IQ test?

jazzy #179406 01/13/14 12:12 PM
    L
    L
    It really depends completely on what gifted program you are trying to get into. Also, not all schools or programs accept outside testing - many have their own.

That being said, I get the overall sense that the Wechsler tests are more widely accepted.

jazzy #179414 01/13/14 12:58 PM
    P
    P
    I am guessing that if the person who tested your child is familiar with your school district he knows what tests are generally accepted - each of the private providers we've worked with has been familiar with what will and won't work in our school district. You can most likely verify what he told you re test & score by looking for gifted program admission info on your school district website or by asking the gifted department in your school district.

I do think you'll see a lot of posts online suggesting the Wechsler is a more reliable or more widely-used ability test - but that doesn't mean it's the test your school district uses. It's been our experience that school districts choose screening tests for gifted programs based on length (shorter than typical private testing) and (most likely - this is a guess here!) - cost. The shorter screeners and group tests take less time on the part of school staff, and I'm guessing also cost less to purchase and train personnel to use. Please note, I don't know anything about the RIAS so I could be way off in my guesstimating smile

Best wishes,

polarbear

jazzy #179418 01/13/14 01:12 PM
    I see that you've posted elsewhere that your child scored a 141 on the RIAS. That should be plenty high enough to gain access to any gifted services available in your school district.

Whether the RIAS is accepted by the school district is, of course, up to them. If they have a formal process for identifying and serving the needs of the gifted, it's quite likely they use the RIAS themselves. Because it can be given in a relatively short time, the schools need fewer staff to administer it to the largest number of students.

It generally tracks well with the IQ numbers from other tests, with the following noted trends:

- Mean scores tend to be slightly higher than other tests.
    - Scores in the gifted cohort can be underestimated due to low discontinue thresholds.

jazzy #179428 01/13/14 01:52 PM
    T
    TNC Offline
    T
    From what I understand the RIAS is a valid test for gifted public programs in Florida, and seems to be used frequently. However, in order for the test to be used for gifted programs in Florida the child must be at least registered for Kindergarten prior to any assessment which my impact placement.

Otherwise I second what Dude said about the test tracking well.

Good luck!

jazzy #179458 01/13/14 06:17 PM
    A
    A
    My daughter had the RIAS and then the WISC-IV and the results were comparable, just slightly higher on the RIAS (consistent with what has already been said). She really enjoyed the RIAS.

I think it is fine for most things. It is shorter than the WISC-IV or SB-V, but the scores should be acceptable for most programs (although DYS doesn't accept it). My daughter did very well on the RIAS, so her psychologist recommended the WISC-IV for more information.

jazzy #179492 01/14/14 05:27 AM
    J
    jazzy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks for all your comments.After digging around a little I have seen other comments on the RIAS posted here.And from what's been said about gifted programs in Florida,she will at a minimal qualify the pullout programs,one day a week in gifted class.There's a full time public gifted school in Osprey,Fl called Pine View.I have never been there and all I know about it's, on the internet.So I may take a closer look at the neighborhoods, they require you to be a resident and have proof before accepting an applications.Anyone have any personal experience with the process there?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations