Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 96 guests, and 60 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Irena #179118 01/09/14 07:02 PM
    B
    B
    The school that I was talking about earlier which told me they like to hold back kids and not let them progress too far with levels, told me that they assess in the fall and assess in Jan. or Feb. The principal was very proud of this new guided reading program they just started, like it is doing such a big service to kids. Assess a kid and then assess again 4 months later? Are they assuming a kid will stay at one level for FOUR WHOLE MONTHS? It would be better to drop the whole thing and let kids choose what they are comfortable reading rather than keep them at a level until they finally get around to assessing again.

Another district that I talked to said they had leveled reading, but they assess kids every two weeks or so. It's a different program, Read Well or something like that.

Irena #179258 01/11/14 02:45 PM
    M
    M
    One school I talked to actually said they deliberately keep kids down. After all the content of a Level Z book would be too "mature" for a second grade kid. I was speechless. Surely there are books out there that are the right level that are "appropriate" in content?

This is terrible. I think part of it is logistics -- maybe a class just can't support an advanced reader by having a reading group all to themselves (or a tiny percentage of the class) ? At my child's school, reading is tied to reading comprehension and writing (outlines/main ideas etc), so he gets dinged on writing (does the bare minimum) while he is actually very good at reading (reading + comprehension+ retelling)

Irena #179263 01/11/14 04:08 PM
    E
    E
    By the 3rd or 4th term of kindergarten, I started sending 'my own materials' for him (DS now 8) to read in class and with the teacher. For the first two terms, I think he got most of his materials from the year 2 classrooms, choosing for himself.

In terms of 'my own materials', they were books from the school library (I went and personally checked them out), public library, my home library (I have another son 3+ years older) and bookstores. At the end of the year, the teacher brought in a huge bag of books for him to borrow over the summer which belonged to her son (who was 5 years older than mine)! What a lovely teacher :-) I just started year 1 using this approach and have not looked back.

At times I have been frustrated with needing to do this myself. The private school, I am paying big money for should be meeting his needs but we all know that regularly doesn't happen. Rather than the spend my time advocating and arguing with them, I've found it much easier to just help my son myself.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM