Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    S
    S
    Ania,

I understand what you are saying. During our assessment Dr. Ruf mentioned a little about the "average" intelligence of teachers and that there can be hostility (open or subtle) towards gifted children from teachers. Especially those that don't understand it isn't a choice, it just is who they are and how they were born.

W
    OP Offline
    W
    I don't think statistics support that idea. Intelligence scores should be normally distributed among the "educator" population. Given that they have achieved a "higher" level of education, we'd expect them to be at least slightly above the mean...the curve would be a bit skewed.

Also, by saying they are of "lower ability" we are excusing off their deliberate inadequacy and laziness.

No. I think they are perfectly capable of understanding, but the "education culture" is not about helping the individual child learn and be at his highest potential. Rather it is about achieving the minimum necessary to continue getting that pay check and those summer holidays!!

blech...

breathing....breathing....deep deep breath!!!:^)

Willa Gayle
    I think that this is a terrific question. I have very strong ideas about this.

1) Any child who wants to "go up a level" for single subject acceleration should be allowed to...this costs the school nothing within the building, but can get expensive if the child needs to go off-campus. I don't have a firm stand on who should pay for transport, but would love to see groups of parents organize to handle it with insurance provided by the district.

2) Any parent who wants a grade skip or early enterance, and has the Iowa Acceleration Scale scores to back it up, should get one, no questions asked.

These are simple goals, clear and easy to accomplish. I think that if the child lead, the schools will follow.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    D
    D
    If I remember correctly from her book, �Losing Our Minds�, Dr. Ruf refers to the average teacher IQ as around 115-120. She mentioned that many of their own smart children just miss the cut-off for gifted programs. Since their kids are A students, and some gifted children are not, they might think that the whole �gifted� thing is a sham. Does that sound about right?

Of course, there are some teachers who well exceed that average!

I also agree with your point Willa. I took a few teaching courses in college. I was really turned off by the amount of time spent discussing how the strengthen the teachers union!

ldparents, take heed of Trinity's post above! You are in a position to make a difference as school board chair!

W
    OP Offline
    W
    The teacher's union is one reason I don't teach even though I have a master's in education (early childhood special).

Mite's third grade "gifted cluster" class has nearly all "bright" kids who are "good" students. Every paper on the wall is crisp, neat and precise (until you get to Mite's which is sloppy, illegible and smudged). The kids are neat and clean. The moms are hovering about "helping out". The teacher says "all my students are gifted". I think if she could she'd say, "except Mite". chuckle. When she said that, btw, I snarked back, "Ok! I'll call Kare11! There must be something in the water out here!" (in humor...everyone chuckled even her)

The kids are placed in the cluster because they "get" school and their parents "get" school, not because they have abilities and intensities they cannot control. Not one has been "identified" by any specific form evaluation EXCEPT for Mite.

I guess I'd say another "least public ed should do" is educate teachers to understand measurements, evaluations and giftedness and learning disability.

So far we have....

1) identify
    2) accelerate class or grade
    3) educate educators

What else?

Willa Gayle
    L
    L
    Hi all, I've been viewing these forums for some time now.
    Thankyou, you have inspired me to speak up about my daughter. Instead of just going to see teachers about possible different/extra schoolwork/homework for the past 5 YEARS, with a pleasent smile.....I've now plucked up the courage to ask for her to skip a class(grade). This time its serious!!!
    I have an appointment with headteacher next week, (possibly the most unapproachable woman on the planet), scary!!
    I've always suspected she is gifted (ok I know for a fact she is) but have not had any sort of testing, yet.
    Thankyou all again, couldn't have done it without you.

Wish me luck.....

A
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    A
    Post deleted by Mark Dlugosz

Hi Lisa from England,
    Good for you....I don't think IQ tests or achievment tests impress schools at all, kids who can do the work impress schools.

What's your local situation? Are you currently in England? Has you school done grade skips before?
    Have you read "A nation Decieved?" ((it's free))
    What do you have if the teacher says, "Really, she seems so grade-appropriate to me?"

Spill those beans, dear! We care and want to know all about it - codenames of course - Wishing you luck! You go girl!

Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    G
    G
    Welcome, Lisa. I wish you luck! And as Trinity said, please tell us more about your situation and your daughter. Then maybe we can offer some specific suggestions for your meeting.

GG

D
    D
    Good Luck Lisa!

Diana

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)