Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 36 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 35 36
    B
    B

Here is a new article about the athletic programs at Berkeley.

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/...c-damage-expanding-independent-athletics
    A Doomed Marriage?
    January 8, 2014
    By Allie Grasgreen
    Inside Higher Education

When describing the approach that administrators at the University of California at Berkeley took to the university's sports program, John Cummins consistently uses a somewhat unexpected term: ambivalent.

Unexpected, says Cummins, a former associate chancellor at the university, because Berkeley, like all other big-time football programs in the major athletic conferences, is in a “spending race” on facilities, coaching salaries and conference-related travel in order to lure – or, as the paper puts it, “in the hopes of luring” – the best recruits.

Because the university continues to admit underprepared students because of their athletic prowess, he says, despite football boasting the lowest graduation rate (44 percent) of athletes of any Division I program this year, and despite athletes consistently graduating at lower rates (especially black athletes) than non-athletes do.

And because administrators have allowed the athletics department to move further and further outside the institution and operate simply as a business, he argues, no matter what deficits, internal conflicts, scandals and National Collegiate Athletic Association violations ensue.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by master of none
    How fitting. Seems very little interest in what the schools do with athletes.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa-athletes-reading-scores/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
    That article is titled "CNN analysis: Some college athletes play like adults, read like 5th-graders". There are college athletes who are literally at the first grade level:

http://chronicle.com/article/The-Education-of-Dasmine/132065/
    The Education of Dasmine Cathey
    by Brad Wolverton
    Chronicle of Higher Education
    June 2, 2012

He hid them in a shoebox under his bed. "My own little secret," he said.

Inside the box, he kept 10 thin paperbacks he was given as a child. For years he didn't touch them. But as he reached 19, they became a lifeline.

Each night after dinner, he closed his dorm-room door, reached under his bed, and opened the box. Resting his head against the blanket his grandmother had made him, he pulled out the books: "First Grade, Level 1, Ages 6-7."

Quietly, so none of his teammates would hear, he read aloud, moving his finger across the page.

Growing up, Dasmine Cathey hated everything about school—reading, writing, even the smell of books. To him, school was nothing but a needless burden. Once you learned about your ancestors and your heritage, he figured, what else did you need to know?

He still remembers the day a middle-school teacher asked him to read aloud in class. As he mumbled through, clearing his throat on words he didn't understand, he heard snickers around him. "How can you be so good at sports but so dumb in school?" a classmate asked.

His sixth-grade teacher suggested he enroll in a tutoring program to overcome his reading problems. Mr. Cathey's parents didn't have enough money, so an aunt helped cover the cost. He took classes for two or three months before dropping out. "You need the money more than me," he told his mother.

By high school he still hadn't read a single book. It took him hours to wade through a handful of pages, and by then he'd forgotten most of what he'd read. But outside of class, things were looking up. He was a finalist for Tennessee Lineman of the Year in football and played on a state-champion basketball team at Ridgeway High, in suburban Memphis. And so he got a pass. Few people seemed to care if he was learning.

B
    B

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa-athletes-reading-scores/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
    From the article:
    Robert Stacey, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Washington, said the conversation should be about the achievement gap -- the difference between the academic levels of the athletes and their nonathlete peers at the same university.

"We know how to close the achievement gap. It's just very expensive," he said. "A student who scored a 380 on his or her (SAT) critical reading is going to face tremendous challenges, won't be able to compete the first year with a student who has a 650 or 700. But with intensive tutoring -- and I'm not talking about cheating, I'm talking about tutoring -- by the time they get to be juniors, they're competing. But it's a very expensive process. It takes intensive work."
    No, intensive tutoring, except in unusual circumstances (such as a student who studied in another country and barely knew English), will not turn a student with 380 SAT verbal into one with a 650 or 700. And if a program to greatly increase scholastic aptitude did exist, it ought not to be limited to athletes.

W
    W
    On the SAT improvement, I heard from parents last year, that improved their kids math SAT scores significantly with tutoring. The kid got into Columbia.

I know internists that are finding it hard to get well paying jobs to pay off the medical school debt. And when you say, how many plumbers does a society need? You still build locally. That is still done here. Dental Hygiene still done here, radiology -- they are reading xrays in India and Israel. But the xray tech still has to take the xrays here. Talking about kids that are going to school for some degree but are not going to go to a professional level degree program that gets them a job.

A side comment on Bostonian's whole thing on Milton and Chaucer. Reading Malcolm Gladwell's David and Goliath. He writes about the whole impressionist movement wouldn't have existed if they did not shun the whole establishment and have their own gallery showing. They were not tradionalists. Modern art needed a break with the past in order to be the innovation that it became.

Though I am not sure what English language is becoming with texting and "what up?" It will be interesting what communication skills are in the next 20 years.

This is why every college football fan on this board should be cheering for the Stanford Cardinal: http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...-hindered-by-intelligence?nclick_check=1

Originally Posted by article
    Stanford does not lower its admissions standards for athletes, which means their pool of prospects is an estimated 10 to 15 percent of what almost everyone else is recruiting.

“We start with the transcript,” said recruiting coordinator Mike Sanford, who’s leaving the Cardinal after the Rose Bowl to become offensive coordinator at Boise State. “We will not watch film until we have a transcript, because we don’t want to waste our time.”

Every player on Stanford’s roster completed at least two advanced placement courses during their senior year of high school.

O
    O
    Just so long as everyone is aware, there is no such thing as "free" tuition, someone ends up paying for it, granted, that person might not be you or your family, however, it's likely that eventually you will if you graduate from college and secure a job that pays middle class level.

I'd just prefer if people use the phrase, "Free to me" or "Free to me for the time being."

Originally Posted by Bostonian

From the article:
    Robert Stacey, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Washington, said the conversation should be about the achievement gap -- the difference between the academic levels of the athletes and their nonathlete peers at the same university.

"We know how to close the achievement gap. It's just very expensive," he said. "A student who scored a 380 on his or her (SAT) critical reading is going to face tremendous challenges, won't be able to compete the first year with a student who has a 650 or 700. But with intensive tutoring -- and I'm not talking about cheating, I'm talking about tutoring -- by the time they get to be juniors, they're competing. But it's a very expensive process. It takes intensive work."
    No, intensive tutoring, except in unusual circumstances (such as a student who studied in another country and barely knew English), will not turn a student with 380 SAT verbal into one with a 650 or 700. And if a program to greatly increase scholastic aptitude did exist, it ought not to be limited to athletes.

Wow.

I just have to look at programs like these and wonder... and what would those resources have meant if they'd been applied elsewhere-- say, to economically disadvantaged but academically high-potential students? frown

You know, those who come in from low-income high schools-- lacking AP coursework, but possessed of otherwise good grades and test scores (albeit not stellar ones due to lack of experience/superscoring)?

Serious question-- how much WOULD it actually cost to reduce tuition by 30-50% at public colleges and universities? COULD it be done? If you raised standards-- say, that a floor for test scores would be something like a 27 ACT or an 1800 SAT, no exceptions-- could that reduce the number of attendees sufficiently to make government support of the institution adequate to the task? I don't really know the answer-- I'm curious.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    O
    O
    I don't think that the general public would stand for a floor for test scores as described, that's not politically correct in today's society and it's not viewed by the masses as "fair" There are always going to be special interest groups fighting anything where their special interest isn't proportionately represented even if their test scores are substantially lower than the established floor.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Old Dad
    I don't think that the general public would stand for a floor for test scores as described, that's not politically correct in today's society and it's not viewed by the masses as "fair" There are always going to be special interest groups fighting anything where their special interest isn't proportionately represented even if their test scores are substantially lower than the established floor.

I agree with this and Old Dad's other post. Making tuition free (provided other "fees" are not raised to compensate) makes college a windfall for those attending, and groups will fight over how that windfall is divided.

Since high school achievement is correlated with IQ, and since
    high-IQ children come from more affluent and educated families on average, it could be asked why those who have won the genetic lottery should be further favored by free high education.

(Two answers could be that
    (1) free college tuition but selective admissions encourage working hard in high school
    (2) free college tuition encourages the parents likely to have smart children to have more of them)

That's why I earlier proposed giving young adults a grant that could be used for higher education or to offset income and payroll taxes.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Dude
    This is why every college football fan on this board should be cheering for the Stanford Cardinal: http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...-hindered-by-intelligence?nclick_check=1

Originally Posted by article
    Stanford does not lower its admissions standards for athletes, which means their pool of prospects is an estimated 10 to 15 percent of what almost everyone else is recruiting.

“We start with the transcript,” said recruiting coordinator Mike Sanford, who’s leaving the Cardinal after the Rose Bowl to become offensive coordinator at Boise State. “We will not watch film until we have a transcript, because we don’t want to waste our time.”

Every player on Stanford’s roster completed at least two advanced placement courses during their senior year of high school.

The father of a friend of mine was QB on the Stanford football team. He went on to win the Nobel prize.

Page 8 of 36 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 35 36

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM