Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    H
    hnz1979 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Visited pediatrician today. He felt the unspecified ADHD diagnostic was correct, but the IQ scores were too low and werent even close. Dr is prescribing Quilivant.

My husband is very upset. I told him we are out of options, that there are no alternative schools and this is what happens to kids like ds when thrown into a class of 24 with one overworked teacher and unrealistic expectations coming down from the hierarchy.

If anything his behaviors are worse in his new classroom, but I can't bear switching him back to the other teacher who I associate with the witch in the Wizard of Oz.

This is a hard blow to take. I'm afraid all they will now see is ADHD and not the fact that he is brilliant. And I wonder what happens if he can't tolerate the meds? He already leans to the anxious side of things already. I guess I start the countdown until he graduates!

Do you feel ADHD is a diagnosis that is more apparent and understood or are the # of cases actually increasing like we see in the Autism Spectrum? Too many questions and not enough answers!

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    I am sorry your family is feeling unsure. Did your husband attend the appointment? Could you schedule a follow up for questions?

B
    B
    Is Quilivant a stimulant? I've never heard of it.

I think stimulants can cause anxiety, esp. if the dose is too high. But the worst thing that can happen is you try it, it does not help or you see bad side effects, you take him off, and are back to square one. You might even find that the meds settle him down and he is less anxious. You never know til you try it.

I'm not sure how much the school knows but if he's not on a 504 plan or IEP it's up to you how much you share with them. Most of DD's teachers know nothing about her ADHD and she does so well on meds they would have no reason to guess. I tell all the regular classroom teachers when she starts each new year so that they can keep me informed of how things are going and if there is anything strange happening that might be due to the meds, but not the others who only see her for a short period of time. I don't think anyone thinks anything of the ADHD, and the teacher last year thought she was doing great, and was uninterested in even talking about it.

hard to say if ADHD is on the rise or if it is simply diagnosed more. Kids with ADHD have higher levels of pesticides in their systems (on average) so there is probably a environmental component to it (maybe multiple unknown things), but also genetic. The older generations were probably the ones who got paddled a lot in class and labeled the troublemakers, but not diagnosed.

P
    P
    I don't remember it at school in the 1970's in NZ. But our classrooms were a lot less frenetic. Group work, bright colours and table instead of desks are fine for most kids but the individual,quiet working at your own desk was probably easier if you had ADHD or sensory issues. I think it was easier for me as I hate heaps of noise and group work.

S
    S
    We had one out of thirty in my 7th grade class with ADHD ...we all knew she had problems with hyperactivity and had no patience at all with her, I still feel bad for her. Who knows how many inattentive type were in my class? they aren't as obvious to other kids.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    I
    I
    Here is a great lecture on ADHD:

I have been watching Dr. Barkley's entire series on ADHD on youtube and it is very, very enlightening. I am trying to learn as much as I can b/c my son is being evaluated for it as well and I do think there is a very good chance he will be diagnosed with it. The most important things I have learned from this series are: (1) It is a very real and very debilitating disorder and, as a result, it is really important that it be treated; (2) while it is very serious and debilitiating, it is VERY manageable and treatable. I am no longer as afraid of DS trying the drugs to manage it once he is properly dx'ed; (3) From his series on adult ADHD I realize now my father and brother were/are very, very likely severely ADHD (and no it wasn't diagnosed back then but my father was beat A LOT in school and at home as a child as was my brother. My father is dead now but I believe my brother is still very severely adhd and it does affect his quality of life greatly particularly his interpersonal relationships; (4) 1 in 6 kids do grow out of it (he said research has shown that number could be as high as 1 in 3 but they are not sure yet) but it needs to be treated regardless.

I hope this helps you and your child smile These lectures have educated and helped me so much coming to terms with this. Now I am almost anxious that he be properly dx once and for all so we can start managing and treating this.

Also, I have learned enough from Dr. Barkley that we will probably start DS on non-stimulant meds b/c of his anxiety and tendency towards axiety tics. The stimulants are great for kids without anxiety, ocd and tic tendency but my kid has those so we probably will not go that route.

Good luck and hang in there. It really is a very, very manageable and treatable disorder - so much more so than any of the other disorders so if your going to have a disorder this is a good one to have b/c they have great meds and therapies.

Last edited by Irena; 12/26/13 04:42 PM.
    H
    hnz1979 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    I wouldn't say it's "easily treatable". My third cousin who is eight was put on a stimulant and they removed him from treatment because he lost 3 lbs the first week. Other children develop tics similar to Tourette's. The stimulants can cause children to have long term growth delays.

Our friends ds who graduated last year was on 3-4 meds and finally was home bound due to severe anxiety issues after a teacher made comments in class that he wasn't fit for the honors class because he could only do half the work of the other students. He developed such severe panic problems that it appeared he was having seizures, but they were panic attacks.

The only girl I know who had ADHD dropped out after being a social outcast. Our pastors ds had to be homeschooled after he started high school because he couldn't keep up with the homework and focus in school. He still has severe social issues!

While there may be individuals who are successful, most people have a very difficult time surviving school. It's a lifelong struggle and "easily treatable" means there are medications available to treat the issue, not that it cures the problems. Just my 2 cents.

I
    I
    I think if you watch the link I posted you'll have better information and have more hope. Instead of relying on anecdotes, educate yourself about the disorder and the treatments.

I
    I
    Oh and I don't think I ever said it was "easily treatable" rather I said it was "very treatable" and "very manageable"... And it is, particularly compared to the other disorders such as bipolar, anxiety, etc

My pg ds8 had a misdiagnosis of ADHD - which is a long story in itself. A couple of weeks ago I took him to the pediatrician's office for his annual and was talking about his current treatment, misdiagnosis, previous misguided advice, etc.

The pediatrician and I both said that the first line of treatment should be diet and then neurofeedback or other alternative routes before meds. I know others may disagree here with me, but if I had followed the advice of the former pediatrician (who is a colleague of the present one and in the same practice!) I would have put my son on meds, possibly done more damage than good, and never got to the root of the problem to begin with. The current pediatrician agreed with me.

I'm not saying that meds are not sometimes necessary or warranted with an ADHD diagnosis. I'm just saying that I'd get a second or third opinion before pursuing meds and/or exploring alternative treatments first before the meds.
    That's my 2 cents.

About a year and a half ago, I took my ds to a 2e expert on the ADHD diagnosis because I questioned it and the lower IQ scores with signs of him being pg. 2e expert asked if I had considered medication. I immediately asked her, "what about neurofeedback" - based on seeing it a discussion on it here on this board! Well, that was the end of our discussion on meds and then the start of our discussion of getting to the heart of the neurological/sensory/attentional issues with ds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM