Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 401 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Hi all,

I recently learned about the Elements/Dimensions program in Bloomington, as well as Lighthouse School in Frindley. My husband and I are considering a move to the twin cities, and so are trying to find out more about these programs for our sons.

Both programs look fantastic on paper, but we'd love to hear some firsthand experience. If there is anyone out there who is (or has been) involved with either of these programs, I would love to talk to you, either publicly or privately.

Thanks!

Hi Cloudpear,

If you are seriously considering a move to the Twin Cities area, I would recommend joining the Minnesota Council for Gifted and Talented, and then you can join the email group and probably get the most feedback on this question. Here's a link to the site, and if you scroll to the bottom there is a link to a list of FT GT programs in MN. http://mcgt.net/gifted101

Although I don't have first-hand experience at either of those schools, my DS goes to a FT HG 2-5 elementary program that Dimensions designed itself after. In general, every subject is a year advanced, plus there is a faster pace so there is time for additional fun stuff. We have found it to be an excellent fit for our son, who has also skipped a grade.

The style of the Lighthouse is quite different, and when we looked into it, we felt that our son was not self-motivated enough for that type of program. It seemed like if you had a kid who was way out there in one or more subjects, and the kid was also fairly self-motivated, this would be a great place. The kids are not grouped by grade, but rather take classes based on interest and ability. I think there is a lot of online instruction as well, and the teachers are really more facilitators. Hopefully someone who has a kid there will respond.

Please note that the two schools you mention are on opposite ends of the suburb spectrum in the Twin Cities (Bloomington is South, Lighthouse in North). If you are checking out these schools, I would also recommend looking at programs in nearby districts (see list at the link above). And try to move somewhere more centrally located. That way, if one school doesn't work out, you could try another (if there is space).

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks for the thoughtful and thorough reply!

Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    If you are seriously considering a move to the Twin Cities area, I would recommend joining the Minnesota Council for Gifted and Talented, and then you can join the email group and probably get the most feedback on this question. Here's a link to the site, and if you scroll to the bottom there is a link to a list of FT GT programs in MN. http://mcgt.net/gifted101

Thanks for the suggestion.

Although I don't have first-hand experience at either of those schools, my DS goes to a FT HG 2-5 elementary program that Dimensions designed itself after. In general, every subject is a year advanced, plus there is a faster pace so there is time for additional fun stuff. We have found it to be an excellent fit for our son, who has also skipped a grade.

Yes, I noticed that not only are there these two 2-12 programs (Elements/Dimensions and Lighthouse), but also several late elementary school programs in the area. My concern with those programs is where the kids go after - at least one district I remember said something about the kids moving on to "honors" classes in middle school, which struck me as unlikely to be sufficient (but maybe I don't know what is meant by honors...?). May I ask what you plan to do after your son gets through 5th grade?

The style of the Lighthouse is quite different, and when we looked into it, we felt that our son was not self-motivated enough for that type of program. It seemed like if you had a kid who was way out there in one or more subjects, and the kid was also fairly self-motivated, this would be a great place. The kids are not grouped by grade, but rather take classes based on interest and ability. I think there is a lot of online instruction as well, and the teachers are really more facilitators. Hopefully someone who has a kid there will respond.

Good to know. Not entirely sure what to think on that count - our older son is unquestionably self-motivated, but if left to his own devices, might only read and create art about astronomy and street maps.

Please note that the two schools you mention are on opposite ends of the suburb spectrum in the Twin Cities (Bloomington is South, Lighthouse in North). If you are checking out these schools, I would also recommend looking at programs in nearby districts (see list at the link above). And try to move somewhere more centrally located. That way, if one school doesn't work out, you could try another (if there is space).

Yes, we had been thinking that very thing. Even the best schools don't work for every child, so we'd love to have options. Being centrally located would definitely help facilitate that.

Thanks again for the reply!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM