Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    DS had the Woodcock Johnson Achievement as part of his IEP eval. Does your DS have an IEP? Can't remember. If so, when is he up for a re-evaluation? The school is supposed to do a comprehensive eval every 3 years (or more often if you request one). Comprehensive evals involve looking at cognitive ability and academic achievement.

Keep in mind the Woodcock Johnson Achievement involves fluency/writing on each section and those sections are timed. Even the reading fluency section involved writing. DS was slower in every section labeled "fluency" because he had to write. His broad math was still 155 though. I can't remember your DS's specific issues (ie whether he has a writing or speed issue) so not sure if this helps. I am doubtful that my DD would do well on an achievement test like the WJ because she is so slow.
    edited to add, I looked at the other posts in this thread again and it looks like he had it last year? Then you should know about the writing/timing aspect and whether it's an issue.

Yes, he had one this time last year at school at my insistence, actually. I naively thought we'd get the dysgraphia identified and I wanted him looked at for dyslexia. School psych said she didn't see dyslexia at all but could see evidence of dysgraphia - however, none of that ended up in her report... Apparently, schools do not use the word dysgraphia and simply g about pretending it does not exist... Anyway, that's why I know if I insist on testing again this year it won't go over well and I'll look like a crackpot. smile As they already did an entire re-eval last year. Plus as a result of that eval was when they tried to sneak away his accommodations. Because the eval triggered the entire iep process again; they took the opportunity to re-write the iep with very watered down writing accommodations. This, as many of you remember, triggered the big "war" I had with them, and I had to hire a lawyer. Ultimately, it worked out for us b/c DS ended up with even stronger more thorough accommodations than he had originally and I ended up losing like 8lbs smile but it was a knock-down drag-out battle during which I lost weight and a tremendous amount of sleep.

I did talk with the tester about his EDS and dysgraphia and accommodations he gets... She said she'll do as much orally as she can. She was a special-ed teacher and advises and evals homeschooled special-ed students so she seemed very good with that aspect.

B
    B
    Just make sure, whatever she does, the test ends up being valid in case DYS wants only a "valid" test done according to the directions. Not sure how IEPs/504's/accommodations fit into that. For example let's say DD gets a 504 for her ADHD/processing speed issue. Would she be able to take the WJ modified and have the scores count? Or Explore? She is completely unable to take timed tests, which is why she did so awful on the CogAT. The WISC was Ok except for the sections that were timed (although block design was Ok at a 16).

Sounds like you have had a really hard time of it! I wasn't around a year ago so didn't know. You might as well pay the cheap person and if it ends up being bogus or poorly done, you are not out much money. A special ed teacher at the school gave DS the WJ and I was skeptical that he would be competent but it was fine.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM