Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    OP Offline

Anyone have one of these for a university??

I am sure that someone here has done one of these.

The short version of why this is such an urgent request-- my DD's early-round honors decision has hit a snag involving a really significant and ill-timed error on the part of the regular admissions office at {local Uni}.

The upshot is that they let her know THIS MORNING that her application is "not complete" until they get a notice of early graduation from school (check-- counselor scrambled to get one this morning) and a "parent authorization" letter from us. The problem is that they aren't even sure what this latter needs to be or mention or anything. No standard sample or advice on the subject exists.

This is on the heels of them telling her (in writing) on NOv 5 that her application was "complete" incidentally, so yeah-- strings have been pulled. People whose first names are apparently "Dean Of" have been involved, needless to say. Because this is WAY out of the pay scale of the regular office staff at Honors or Admissions. Grrr.

The honors college WILL admit her, they remembered her application quite well (good news-- only ~20% of applicants this year will get one of those letters), but couldn't figure out what was up with the hold at Uni admissions (which, recall, we didn't know about because they had told DD both in writing AND by phone that she was "good to go" there... even KNOWING ABOUT HER AGE...)

Aughhhh.

Anyway-- a sample "parent authorization" letter for a university environment would be MUCH MUCH MUCH appreciated.

Thank you guys in advance.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    OP Offline
    Oh-- we need to get this to them by the end of the day today. Sooner is DEFINITELY better there, because the deans of two different agencies are involved, and it's the last day before the break... a lot of people will be leaving after lunch.

I
    I
    early-round honors decision
    It is my understanding that "early decision" obligates a student to that institution. This obligation includes the financial obligation. The financial obligation which a student is committing to is NOT contingent upon financial assistance, scholarships, etc. The early decision agreement is a contract to pay (in full, or without regard to a possible financial aid package).

Based on that understanding, the parental permission letter may be required as I believe minors cannot be held to enforcement of a legally signed contract. Something like that.

That's a quick response. Hopefully others will illuminate this further.

OP Offline
    I don't think so. I know for a fact that ED requires no obligation from her until May 15.

It's about operating in an "adult" environment, blah-blah-blah, something about understanding that a parent authorizes child to act as an emancipated minor, understands that the uni won't act in loco parentis, stuff like that.

I know WHAT it is for-- I've just never seen one live.

The only other person we know who has is out of cellular range at the moment....

eek

OP Offline
    Think that Davidson would know if I called them??

E
    E
    I think that it could not possibly hurt to ask Davidson, even though you're not a member.

I assume that you've done the obvious like googled "{college name} authorization letter"? I suspect that "emancipated minor" and "in loco parentis" would be good phrases to add to a search, since it sounds like they would be likely to be in the text of the letter.

Good luck!

I
    I
    I don't think so. I know for a fact that ED requires no obligation from her until May 15.
    Interesting. I may be wrong but I understood that to be "early action" (non-binding) as opposed to "early decision" (binding).

OP Offline
    Most places have their own specific form for this sort of thing-- but "most places" also means community colleges, too.

There's not a lot out there.

E
    E
    Ooh, I have another idea, if calling Davidson doesn't work. See if you can find an educational advocate that's in their office today and might be able to help you.

22B Offline
    Couldn't you simply ask them what they want?

Oh, wait!

------------------------------------------

How about

Dear ......

We have been requested to provide a "parent authorization". With this letter we hereby provide the requested "parent authorization".

Sincerely ............

------------------------------------------

That way you can quickly fulfil the request, without knowing more specifically what's being requested. You can worry about what you're authorizing later.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM