Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 333 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    Kai Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    My 11 year old son is currently in 8th grade at a private school. They have been very accommodating about acceleration (two whole grades skipped and additional acceleration in math). Even with all of the acceleration, it is still not enough (it seems as though acceleration increases demands on executive functioning without a concomitant increase in cognitive demand). He is frustrated and unhappy. Socially, things are mediocre. Prior to attending this school, we homeschooled. He is asking to be homeschooled again and wants to leave at the end of the semester in January. I would love to homeschool him again, so there is no issue there.

Is there a compelling reason to keep him there until the end of the year? Are there benefits to completing 8th grade at a brick and mortar school? Regardless of when we start homeschooling (in January or next fall), he will be doing high school level work, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Last edited by Kai; 12/20/13 09:29 AM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Kai
    He is asking to be homeschooled again and wants to leave at the end of the semester in January. I would love to homeschool him again, so there is no issue there.
    I would go with this. That you'd be tackling high school work is a bonus.

22B Offline
    What does the extra semester cost (or is the full year paid up already)?

F
    F
    One question would be if you wanted to attend a brick and mortar high school later would you need the verification of completion of 8th grade due his skips? If so could you arrange a partial homeschool schedule with the school so he would get the certificate at the end of the year?

K
    Kai Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    We already paid in full, but since I don't feel as though we're actually getting anything out of the deal, we're wasting money either way. Now I'm just trying to figure out if continuing is as much of a waste of time as it appears to be.

The thing about having completed 8th grade at a b&m school is the only compelling reason I can find to stay. Does anyone know if this is as important as it seems on the surface? If it makes a difference, he is adamant that he doesn't want to graduate early.

If he's adamant that he doesn't want to graduate early (does he mean "early" or "earlier" by the way?) then homeschooling may be literally your only option.

Putting the brakes on additional acceleration within a B&M environment, as you've discovered, may be quite difficult if that's about all they have left to offer in the way of differentiated content/instruction.

We have noted the same phenomenon, btw; DD14 was more than ready for college-level work at 10-12yo, but not for "college" at that age.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    K
    Kai Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    If he's adamant that he doesn't want to graduate early (does he mean "early" or "earlier" by the way?) then homeschooling may be literally your only option.

He doesn't want to graduate either early or earlier. If he were to stay at this school, my plan was to homeschool him for three subjects for the next two years (the school would give him high school credit for all courses taken including the homeschooled ones even though he would be registered as a middle schooler). It's complicated, but the upshot is that it would enable him to graduate with his age peers while still moving forward academically (at least in theory).

That the school is supportive of his two skips and the homeschooling/independent study piece is remarkable. I realize that it is highly unusual to find such flexibility.

I guess then the only question in my mind would be "what comes after that?" if he's allowed to move forward at his ideal pace.

I understand the desire to not have him enter college early, but just how far ahead do you project this putting him relative to agemates? In terms of the content/level of his mastery, I mean.

Because if it's too far, then college becomes problematic as he'll need to sit through course requirements that he has CLEAR mastery of, but can't "officially" produce documentation for, if you see what I mean. Sure, there is credit-by-exam, but it can still make things weird and discontinuous then.

For now, I can definitely see that being allowed to stay in sync with agemates would be good-- I just wonder if it doesn't trade that for longer term asynchrony in college.

I guess it depends on his interests/ability profile, and on whether you are expanding things vertically or horizontally in homeschooling topics.

smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    K
    Kai Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I think we can go sideways with high school material for a while. He could do dual enrollment at the local community college starting when he is 15. My older son is doing that right now and it's been a good experience. This particular CC has a strong math/science/engineering focus, so those courses are pretty good.

I think with a mix of homeschooling and dual enrollment, we could make it work.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations