Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 278 guests, and 28 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    DS7 is in a gifted magnet program. Writing has always been a relative weakness, and I suspect dysgraphia but am just not sure. In class, his writing is really below that of his peers and barely on grade level. Handwriting is always illegible to unfamiliar readers and often illegible even to familiar readers. Lots of letter reversals, spelling is awful and mechanics too. You kind of have to pick one thing to focus on for him to do okay - it can be neat OR detailed and interesting OR have good mechanics - never all three.

The school tested him with the WJ3 and his scores were:

Letter-Word ID - 128 / Superior
    Reading Fluency - 126/Superior
    Passage Comprehension - 123/Superior
    Calculation - 128/Superior
    Math Fluency - 146/Very Sup.
    Applied Problems - 135/Very Sup.
    Spelling - 110 / Avg.
    Writing Fluency - 123/Superior
    Writing Samples - 126/Superior

Overall cluster scores were 126 for reading, 143 for math, and 121 for written language.

An OT observed him and wrote up that report - nothing remarkable. Adequate pencil grip, she did note that he appeared to need extra time for thinking and writing.

We have the review meeting to determine eligibility next week. DS told me he met with a man today for more tests, who I think is the school psychologist, but it had something to do with drawing and building with 4 and 9 blocks.

It does not appear that an ability test was administered, as no FSIQ was reported in the documents I was given. I don't know what to think. I'm an elem. teacher and familiar with LD, but just can't figure out if my own son has one or not, and I am not sure enough assessments were administered to dx him with one.

I'd appreciate any input you can offer.

B
    B
    I think there are 4 and 9 blocks on the block design portion of the WISC. "Drawing" could be the coding section. It could be he was given an abbreviated WISC or WISC-like test like the WASI.

My 6 year old also did very well with WJ achievement, being above 90th percentile even for Broad Writing, but they also did handwriting tests as well. I think there was a writing assessment called the Shore Handwriting Screen which showed them that DS forms most of his letters incorrectly (from the bottom up). He had one reversal but fixed it on his own. There was also a test (not sure what it was called) where she sampled the classroom and timed everyone writing. DS was actually above the mean. They could not qualify him for dysgraphia or "specific learning disability" based on his results but classified him as physically impaired because of his DCD diagnosis which we got privately. I don't think they can diagnose something like that on their own for a PI eligibility determination. They noted his awkward pencil grip, not holding the paper down with his hand, no spacing between words, etc. It is tricky when the achievement testing comes out Ok--then they have to use other assessments.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Update: I got the WISC results a few days later. FSIQ is 131 but GAI was 141 and was suggested as a better indicator of true ability due to a 21 point discrepancy in Perceptual Reasoning and Processing Speed scores.

We had the IEP mtg. to review results today and despite there not quite being enough of a discrepancy to qualify him, he was found to have an SLD in the area of writing based on all the anecdotal evidence combined with his scores.

A friend who is a special educator asked if he skips lines when he reads, which he does. But he comprehends, so I thought maybe he had taught himself to speed read. She suggested some sort of visual motor issue and recommended we contact a behavioral optometrist, and we have an appt. Dec. 26. The IEP team is very interested in the results.

Now I'm trying to figure out exactly what I want in the IEP. I really only thought he'd get a 504, so I was unprepared for what services I'd like. I think I'm going to seek Handwriting Without Tears cursive instruction, a research-based spelling program, and the OT already said she'll put him on consult.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations