Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    Leyla Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Hello,

Our school district (Bellevue School District in WA) is looking into introducing gifted education to K/1 grades. (They already have gifted program 2-12 in place.) K/1 program seems to be planned to happen in the regular classrooms and they are considering BOY assessment for the kids. I haven't heard it and couldn't locate any information on the internet. Thought experienced parents here might know about what it is.

thanks so much...

L
    L
    Beginning of year?

E
    E
    I think Lynn is right about the meaning of the acronym. May I ask where you heard it? I have a kindergartner in the Bellevue school district and I haven't heard about this. (Feel free to PM me if you don't want to reply publicly.)

L
    L
    I found it on the minutes of the Gifted Advisory Committee's February 15th, 2013 meeting (page four.) It's part of a discussion of the change to state law that now requires identifying and providing services to highly capable students in K-12.

L
    L
    Oops - they're dated 2/15/13 - but appear to be from 12/3/13.

L
    Leyla Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Hello again,

Thanks Lynn. Beginning of year assessment makes sense. Wonder what type of assessment the teachers are doing and how accurate classroom teachers can measure giftedness...

I read about the upcoming program in the meeting notes that PAGE sent last week (copying it below). If you look into meeting notes in the gifted site, they mention about BOY assessment there.
    "5) Providing Kindergarten and 1st grade gifted services is being evaluated for start in Fall 2014; students will be served in their neighborhood school. Further announcements Spring 2014; no action needed at this time."

Our older one went to Clyde Hill Elementary for K and 1st grade and now she is in gifted program in Cherry Crest. We are now looking for a school for younger one(K in fall). He scored very well in IQ test and applying to a few private schools for him. We were not very happy with quality of education in Clyde Hill for K/1, hence looking into private options for younger one. Will keep an eye on this upcoming program too though. Hope they have more information until spring so that we can make a decision on public school vs private school...

E
    E
    OK, those minutes are consistent with what was said at the parent meeting just before Thanksgiving (there will be gifted services provided within the Gen. Ed. classroom, but they don't know yet how kids will be identified). Thanks for pointing out that the new minutes are up. You might want to drop an email to the BSD gifted program to let them know that the posted minutes have the wrong date on them.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent