Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    R
    R
    My DS10, soon to be DS11, took an Intro to Python programming course from AoPS this summer and it was run very similar to the Geometry course you describe. The course was pretty tough for him and I contacted a local university and found a tutor which turned out to really help (as I was of almost no use to him). He now often likes to find difficult math problems and write code to find the answers.

He is currently working with EPGY Geometry and is definitely being challenged. It has been a long time since I took Geometry and I do not remember being presented with some of the topics in such great depth. In the past year he has completed EPGY's 5-6, PreAlgebra, Algebra and Intermed Algebra. Geometry is the first course that has really challenged him but he seems to be rising to the challenge so far.

I think we may try the AOPS Counting and the Number Theory classes after he finishes Geometry. I was thinking of trying to just get the books and go through it without the online course but not sure how that might work.

Thanks for the info on AoPS Geometry.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by mecreature
    If you could get a kid to actively participate in the school and the community it would help them a lot I bet.

I have been looking at Introduction and intermediate to counting and probability for my ds 10. He is pretty stretched right now but maybe for some summer work. It is pretty cool stuff that could get a kid hooked if they hang in there but might be too much review.
    Does he do Alcumus, and if so, does he have a high level and all topics blue in the counting and probability there? That's the obvious thing to use as a guide. The intro c&p is reputed to be the easiest intro course, but it looks to me as though the intermediate requires a level of mathematical sophistication that makes it unsuitable as an immediate follow-on from the intro course. For example, it does induction half way through, something which (for reasons I've never fully understood!) many people find to be a conceptual roadblock.

We tried some ALEKS stuff and thought it was horrible. How did your son like it?
    It was useful for a few years, and he used to go in phases of liking it a lot for a while and then getting bored with it. Definitely only useful for routine problems, but doing the routine questions and working out what was going on from that beat being actually taught the material, for him. I doubt he'll use it again at this point, though.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    I
    I
    Thanks for the great review!

You mentioned that the class was all text based. Just wondering how well they can convey the geometrical ideas without drawings.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by iynait
    Thanks for the great review!

You mentioned that the class was all text based. Just wondering how well they can convey the geometrical ideas without drawings.
    Bad choice of words on my part - they did have diagrams, but no audio, video [in the classes - there are some video lessons I think, but they weren't assigned] etc.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Bad choice of words on my part - they did have diagrams, but no audio, video [in the classes - there are some video lessons I think, but they weren't assigned] etc.

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    If you could get a kid to actively participate in the school and the community it would help them a lot I bet.

I have been looking at Introduction and intermediate to counting and probability for my ds 10. He is pretty stretched right now but maybe for some summer work. It is pretty cool stuff that could get a kid hooked if they hang in there but might be too much review.
    Does he do Alcumus, and if so, does he have a high level and all topics blue in the counting and probability there? That's the obvious thing to use as a guide. The intro c&p is reputed to be the easiest intro course, but it looks to me as though the intermediate requires a level of mathematical sophistication that makes it unsuitable as an immediate follow-on from the intro course. For example, it does induction half way through, something which (for reasons I've never fully understood!) many people find to be a conceptual roadblock.

He did some Alcumus (not much) when he was doing the Pre-Algebra but none recently. I will have to check. His teacher at school has been trying to get the students to do the Alcumus and give him their info so he can check up on them.

Q
    Q
    Thanks for that in-depth review. I also would have expected it not to have been quite so challenging for your DS. On the other hand, I did find ALEKS (as least the pre-algebra) somewhat superficial and definitely way easier than the Pre-Algebra DS subsequently studied at school.

A
    A
    Thank you for posting! Incidentally, here is a recent WTM thread 'AoPS--self-study vs online class':

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/497646-aops-self-study-vs-online-class

Re: *Intermediate* Number Theory:
    Originally Posted by lewelma
    DS is spending about 12-14 hours per week (not counting the class) and is just squeezing into 'green.'

Re: relative difficulty of classes:
    Originally Posted by keesa
    intro. geometry: very hard
    algebra 2: fair
    algebra 1: fair
    number theory: very easy

Re: online class vs self-study:
    Originally Posted by quark
    Here are a list of things I would consider seriously before making a decision (might be different from class to class):

Student's comfort level with...

1. reading and working on problems at a very quick pace ahead of class (you will usually need to finish an entire chapter in a week) -- depends on the class because current class DS is taking doesn't have a textbook but algebra does

2. managing the AoPS class time (based on time zone, PT time is fine for us but ET time can be late for some) and homework schedule (no ordinary homework ... not predictable with regards to time needed for each question)

3. doing 1 and 2 WITH all other subject requirements, especially if kiddo is also doing other math or heavy reading/ writing/ thinking subjects -- so allow the first few weeks to be a sort of baby steps period to get used to the routine

4. chat format -- not video/ audio -- and sometimes kids already know each other and might carry out informal chat conversations so you will be left out -- not a problem for DS really but he sometimes wishes kids won't use the AoPS pre-class time to chat about things other than math (just his personality quirk)

5. not having answers featured if instructor doesn't choose them to appear on screen -- and also being fast with typing if being chosen is important to you

6. using discussion forums when stuck with a homework problem or other issues -- you have the option of a private message box to the instructor too

7. multitasking if a TA opens up a private "whisper box" to walk you through questions you might have during the class

8. not finishing all homework just because some of the questions are SUPER hard (this is new to DS but the problems are so hard that he is willing to let it go and take it as a learning experience, not a I-have-to-be-perfect experience)

9. typing homework answers out for longer response/ proof-style problems and not getting an immediate CORRECT/ INCORRECT response

10. ETA: the class's Socratic questioning format -- a big pro imho

11. Cost, of course (duh! lol)

ETA: also, from here:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/495394-number-theory-vs-counting-probability-in-aops

it looks like 'intro to number theory' < 'algebra 1' < 'intro to counting and probability'.

Last edited by arlen1; 12/19/13 09:04 AM.
    22B Offline
    As far as this "One good thing about the format is that there's very little in the way of clues to student age," is the point just that it's possible to never disclose it, or is it encouraged not to disclose it, or doesn't it matter either way? Is there any philosophy behind this "age-anonymity"?

As far as costs I was thinking.
    $X0 for a book
    $Y00 for an AoPS course
    $Z000 for a Math Summer Camp (for 2-5 weeks, e.g. Epsilon, MathPath, MathCamp).
    We had a thread on Math Summer Camps
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted..../all/What_elite_math_camps_are_ther.html
    The $Z000 price for a Camp takes people aback, but some here have paid it, and others are thinking about it. In that context, $Y00 for an AoPS course seems more reasonable, even though you can get a book for only $X0.

Our DS7 has been taking K12Inc online courses (for free in a virtual school) and he has been going through the math courses like a hot knife through butter. They are okay for basic presentation of material, but the exercises are rudimentary and unchallenging, and I've heard similar complaints about most course options out there. I gather that AoPS is a rare case (unique? anyone know of others for math?) of very challenging courses which we desperately need to prevent all the pitfalls of whizzing through shallow courses, and never meeting real challenge.

I've been convinced that AoPS Intro to Geometry is a good one for DS to take (eventually, when the time is right), and I could possibly learn a fair bit from it myself, which would not be the case for any other intro or interm course.

We need to pick one or more AoPS courses for DS to take before Intro to Geometry, and before the lack of challenge goes too long. (I'm asking for suggestions.) We have to be selective due to time, cost, potential burnout. Though I could teach any of them myself using just the book, I gather from the review and other comments, that it is worth having the structure, timeline, feedback from non-parent grader/marker, and other potential dialogue.

Out of the following AoPS courses, does anyone have recommendations? And what is a (partial) order of these courses in terms of difficulty, and also considering prerequisites? (DS would meanwhile be taking a standard USA sequence of courses. He's doing K12Inc's PreAlgebra now.)
    Algebra 1
    Introduction to Counting & Probability
    Introduction to Number Theory
    Algebra 2
    Introduction to Geometry
    Algebra 3
    Intermediate Counting & Probability
    Intermediate Number Theory
    MATHCOUNTS/AMC 8 Basics
    Advanced MATHCOUNTS/AMC 8

Also does anyone have experience with younger kids (8, 9, 10) handling the live online lessons with the fast reading and typing (with a parent right there to maybe help type)and the fast thinking, of course? Does it work for young ones? How much learning happens in real time during the live lesson, rather than at other times?

R
    R
    DS (turned 11 last week) began EPGY in 4th grade and went through their 5th-6th course in a bit under two months, next completed Honors Pre-Algebra in about a month and a half; finally completing 4th grade by doing Honors Algebra. He worked alone almost entirely which was great as before EPGY I felt I was too involved in his math.

He took the summer off for math but took AoPS Intro to Python Programming which was difficult for him. I contacted a local university about 2/3 of the way through the course and found a student to tutor him for what turned out to be about 10 hours. The tutor really helped him understand and he enjoyed the course and now really likes to write programs. I think the AoPS course was hard in general but also he struggled to type quickly enough to be too involved. It was his first time being involved in an online chat learning format and I think it was difficult for him but all in all a great experience. I was not really involved at all except for at the very beginning to see how the course worked and the chat was being moderated.

He began 5th grade this year and started EPGY Intermediate Algebra which he completed in two months so he recently started Intro to Geometry and is definitely being challenged but seems to enjoy it. I think Intro to Geometry is the first real challenge he has faced with his EPGY courses, not so much that he did not learn in the other courses as he definitely did, but it did not seem to be overly tough for him.

I think it will take him about 4 to 5 months to complete the Geometry course. Afterwards I hope for him to do the AoPS courses on Counting/Probability and then Number Theory. I purchased the books and am hoping he can do it without the online class as the timing is not great for us.

FYI - my son is in public school but is able to work on his EPGY math course during the math period.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM