Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    mmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi !
    I 'am trying to find private/public schools for gifted children in NJ and the only one I ‘am seeing that is focused solely for gifted kids is a private school called Primoris academy (http://primorisacademy.org/). The school seems new and I cannot find many reviews.

1. Can I get recommendations for good private/public schools in NJ for gifted kids
    2. Have you known any kids who have attended Primoris academy?

Thanks !

C
    C
    I'm in NJ, as well and trying to figure out the same thing. It doesn't seem like there are a lot, from my research (though I would LOVE to be proven wrong!).

What age group/grade are you looking into? and what area of NJ (north, central or south?) That will narrow the scope of schools.

As far as Primoris, I believe it is brand new, and so, probably won't have many reviews. Though it looks pretty cool from the website, if not expensive.

Just wanted to mention, if you are in the southern area, there are a few schools in Philly, and likewise, if you are all the way up north, there are some schools in NY. Also, There seems to be a sort of concentrated area of gifted-type schools in Princeton (central jersey).

if you want to talk more (or in more detail), we could always exchange a PM.

D
    D
    I don't know about early years but I believe Haddonfield is open to acceleration and the high school has a great program with Drexel.

P
    P
    Princeton's school is for HS students.

http://www.prismsus.org/

N
    N
    If you can be in the Philadelphia area, there are lots of private schools - they are not specifically for gifted kids, but there are plenty of gifted kids in many of the private schools. As far as public schools go, Lower Merion, Radnor and Tredyffrin-Easttown are just outside Philly and are good. They don't cater to gifted kids, but there are plenty of gifted kids in those districts.

Of course, the private schools are pricey, and homes in the good districts are not cheap.

D
    D
    Haddonfield is also a wonderful town to live in--I think it would be worth checking out.

C
    C
    mmom, sent you a PM.

G
    G
    Re: the other thread about Sudbury style schools, if part-time homeschooling is an option, the center where my kids to is in Philly. The website is www.talkingsticklearningcenter.org.

P
    P
    My son is at PRISMS (www.prismsus.org) referenced above, and loves it. It's only the first year, so there are many issues being addressed, but there are some extraordinary faculty and no age restrictions. The school is affiliated with a top high school in Beijing. This past summer they (the Beijing high school) hired a wonderful woman who recently earned a PhD in gifted education from Purdue. I'm hoping she moves to PRISMS to help both the kids and the faculty create an even better school. No word on that yet, but it certainly shows the intent in China with regard to its students.

Before PRISMS we homeschooled. I've heard great things about the Talking Stick co-op referenced above and if we were closer to Philly, would have looked into it then.

I've attended a couple of NJAGC conventions and was shocked to meet trained GT teachers in NJ. There is nothing where we live (Montgomery Township).

S
    S
    I live in South Jersey, just outside of Philly. If I had the choice to live in PA or in NJ for my gifted child, I would choose PA. Granted, I only have experience with one school district, but getting accommodations is like banging my head against a very polite brick wall. NJ is required to provide gifted services, but there's no structure beyond that to explain what they need to be, and there's no funding. PA has a legally required Gifted IEP program that I often think would be very helpful to us as we advocate for our daughter.

As a grown-up giftie myself who was in a gifted program in a really great district, and as the aunt to several gifted kids in some really excellent districts in this area, I can say that most of the gifted programs are just fluff.

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM