Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 337 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    Originally Posted by kimck
    And I really don't get what they're trying to say that your DS only has superficial understanding of a college level physics book?

And how would they know? Do they have more than a superficial understanding of physics themselves?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Good one, Cathy! laugh

Kriston
    K
    K
    LMAO! laugh No kidding! I took college level physics. There were plenty of college age kids (approaching half the class at my university) that never gained a superficial understanding at all and failed out. Conceptual understanding or just plain "getting it" is huge IMHO.

B
    bk1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Yes, judging from my inability to answer DS's physics questions, I think I only developed a "superficial understanding" of my -high school- physics book.

Thanks everybody for your support. I think you've helped me get my confidence back! It was also really interesting to hear how many of you had similar experiences.

DH says I probably helped my cause by crying and talking back. He thinks now they are probably going to try to prevent any more outbursts. I figure they will just try more mind games.

I have a meeting with the principal (and the folks from the IEP team) next Thursday to discuss the math skip. Next year's teacher is also supposed to be there, but who knows if the principal will actually invite her or disclose who next year's teacher will be. Continually scheduling yet more meetings may be her way of letting the clock run out without doing anything I'm asking for.

When I first broached the math-skip idea with the principal, I mentioned the IAS and she said let's take a look at it, knowing it would take about a week to get delivered. When I brought it in, I explained the process and she asked to borrow the book and to have some time to look at it.

After a week or so, I called back to ask if we could start the testing called for in the IAS. She said she hadn't read the IAS yet. She said she wanted to use an on-line test developed for assessment in NYC that did not stop at grade level, and test him in both language arts and math. That was at least a week ago and DS hasn't been tested yet. School ends in a week and a half.

I feel compelled to keep trying at this school because we waited to long to easily move to something else.

We started panicking about school too late to apply to a private school for next year. The regular G&T program in our NYC district is no great shakes.

Because of rather fuzzy admissions standards in years past, 40 percent of students in elementary G&T classes across the city are at the 80th percentile or lower in IQ (or so the Ed Dept said when it decided to standardize the process this year and make the admissions criteria 90 percentile on a weighted combination of the BRSA and OLSAT for children going into K-2.)

For children currently in grades 3 and 4 applying to G&T programs, the new policy is apply to G&T in general (no specific school) and if spots open up, applicants will be placed in schools based on their scores on the 3rd grade, NCLB tests, with the top scorers getting priority in placement. Parents will be informed of G&T placement in August. Of course, the watered down NCLB test covers what are essentially second-grade skills, so there isn't enough challenge at the top to really separate out the MG, HG, etc. As a result, this policy won't actually mean that the HG children with the greatest need for G&T will actually get placed in G&T.

So, we will pursue a good IEP and math-skip for the local school for next year, also apply for G&T for next year, too, just in case, and if nothing works out, in the fall of this year we will also apply to a local private school for gifted kids for Fall of '09.

OK, I've rambled again. I thought the G&T criteria might be good for discussion, and I'm hoping the play-by-play of what's happened for us might be helpful to others. And I got to vent again!

bk

Bk, I hope the math skip meeting goes well. I recently read "Developing Math Talent." It has some good suggestions for accommodating kids with math talent.

B
    bk1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    I skimmed that at Barnes and Noble on a couple of lunch hours, and I should definitely get a copy and dig in.

bk1 (now I've got Burger King in my mind!!LOL!!!), I am so sorry for your frustrating day. I understand the crying at the meeting. I cried right after my DS's IEP meeting too. The frustration of it all can just be too much and you just need an outlet for all those feelings. They played the same sort of mind games on me and it was just awful. frown

I'm glad you've got your confidence back and that you have a plan for the future. Just having a plan can make you feel so much better!!! I hope things goes well in the math skip meeting. smile

acs Offline
    I agree with gratified3 about the tears. Remember Hillary in the New Hampshire primary? A few tears got her a long way, at least in NH!

E
    E
    Raises Hand and admits to tears in the school meetings at times as well smile

L
    L
    Originally Posted by elh0706
    Raises Hand and admits to tears in the school meetings at times as well smile

Yeah, me too-- both as a parent and as a teacher!

Originally Posted by delbows
    I actually felt physically ill for several weeks due to his inept response.

I've had that experience also. It seems that no blow is too low when dealing with a parent.
    Treat yourself as if you actually have a cold, and give lots of extra TLC, ok?

I think that they need you to sign the IEP, and that if you put in writing that parts that you don't agree with, it will help move things along. If possible, I would try to set up a private meeting with the Priniciple in advance of the big meeting - I cryed there, and it really helped.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs