Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 233 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Anyone have experience applying to DYS using just achievement scores and a portfolio? What was the outcome? Will my DD6 be asked to take an IQ test?

22B Offline
    I don't have answers, but I'm sure you'll soon get many.

I'll add a question, I also want to know about. Is there a difference between the two cases:
    [1] No IQ test was taken
    [2] An IQ test was taken, but the score was not high enough.

Also in case [2], what if you wait (for two years?) for the score to "expire"?

A
    A
    Originally Posted by 22B
    I don't have answers, but I'm sure you'll soon get many.

Also in case [2], what if you wait (for two years?) for the score to "expire"?

22B, as I understand, every IQ test is administered differently - they have different subtests and may be different types of questions. So, if the score in a WPPSI is not great, one need not wait for "test expiration" - one could just go ahead and get another kind of test like Stanford Binet, WISC etc if they are confident that the issue was with the tester or the child having a bad day etc and that the results were not a true reflection of the child's abilities.
    BTW/ when we took the WPPSI, the psychologist told us that we could not take the same WPPSI for a year. But there were no restrictions on taking other types of IQ tests.

P
    P
    My DD9 took EXPLORE last year as a 4th grader and she got good enough score. And I submitted along with portfolio (some of them clearly above 2-3 grades above level) but wasn't sufficient. IQ test is expensive but got her in.

Some kids have asynchronous development and the one thing they excel will wow the selection members easily. My DD is kind of balanced and I also did not have anything in videos, etc...

Even misplaced her AR test report from 1st grade (she did Harry Potter series and she got highest score in her grade) and she was supposed to be in Kinder.

Anyway, IQ test result is kind of black and white and once she gets qualifying score, she should be in.

DS (6 at the time) was accepted with qualifying achievement scores, portfolio and non-qualifying IQ score.

Esme, DYS ds7, ds1 - whatmom.wordpress.com
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by ToothMom
    ...applying to DYS using just achievement scores and a portfolio...
    It is my understanding that a family might be informed their application packet is incomplete, if more information is needed.

Originally Posted by Peter
    ... EXPLORE... good enough score... submitted along with portfolio (some of them clearly above 2-3 grades above level) but wasn't sufficient. IQ test is expensive but got her in... Anyway, IQ test result is kind of black and white and once she gets qualifying score, she should be in.
    With great respect for your authentic personal experience concerning your own child's application, some may question whether it is wise to assert that "once she gets qualifying score, she should be in" when the DYS qualification criteria page takes great care to manage parent expectations that "The Davidson Institute is unable to advise parents as to whether or not their child’s scores will qualify them for the Young Scholars program outside of the context of a complete application". The FAQ page also contains helpful, detailed information and explanations regarding the application process, including the required nomination.

Originally Posted by Peter
    ... Some kids have asynchronous development and the one thing they excel will wow the selection members easily...
    Might this be an individual opinion, rather than speaking for the selection committee?

P
    P
    Yes. That was personal opinion. She skipped a year and she was 8 when she took it. She got 88 percentile for 8th graders and got more than enough for composite as well as sub-subjects across the board.

Now, my DD read HP when she was 6, pre-algebra at 7. I did not have video, etc... and I know that I didn't have strong portfolio for her. I am pretty sure the things I listed what she did at what age wasn't counted blush (May be took it for granted) But then again, EXPLORE score already indicates that she could do it.

Anyway, we are at peace and glad that IQ test was done. Local DYS group is awesome and so many parents have a lot of experience, ideas and wisdom to share.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thank you for all of the information. We got the good news yesterday that DD6 was accepted to the DYS program. We look forward to participating.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations