Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 337 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    My DS3 is asking a lot of big questions lately, and I need help:

1. Does space have an end?
    2. How did the earth begin? Humans?
    3. What happened to the dinosaurs?
    4. Do numbers end (not a science question, but wanted to add that one to the mix since it relates to my answer that space doesn't have an end, and he's troubled by that concept)

We have plenty of books on these topics, but I would like to add a video component. Does anyone have a recommendation for videos that cover these topics in a way that is also appropriate for a very sensitive, empathetic child who gets scared easily and absorbs other's pain (ex: dinosaur eating another dinosaur).

P
    P
    Some of the magic school bus episodes are ok.

A
    A
    My kid asks those exact questions, right down to the recurring concern over infinite space. I feel your pain.

Videos are weirdly challenging, because so many of the glossy ones are done in a very dramatic way where it's not just "Here's how hurricanes work", but instead "DEADLY SUPER STORM! WILL YOU SURVIVE?" - totally upsetting for sensitive kids like mine.

I've had not-great luck with full-length science videos, with the odd exception - if you have Netflix or Amazon Prime, some of the older science videos are pretty slow/calm and acceptable. My kid has been willing to watch chunks of Sagan's THE COSMOS as long as I sit with him and pause it to discuss when he needs to.

I find a lot of the stuff that is actually for kids (Magic Schoolbus and so on) too loud and busy and non-literal ("But school buses can't shrink down and fly into your blood.") and generally kind of a bust.

But I have one possible option for you: there's a BBC kid show called Nina and the Neurons that is actually about science, and is calm and literal. The different series are about engineering, biology, science, and so on. The episodes are 15 minutes long and hosted by a female scientist character (which I value, YMMV). Downside is there's no legal way to get it in the US that I know of, so you're stuck watching it on Youtube. Here's the episode about stars:

(That user has a lot of Nina and the Neurons episodes.)

Another option is a show my kid has gone through phases of being very into: Beakman's World (on Netflix streaming). It's a pretty dorky show from the 90s, and is very loud and fast-cutting and has a lot of sound effects (all things I dislike) but is also pretty serious about the science, and does not do the thing where it uses magic or things that can't actually happen. Significant downside is that each episode features an experiment, which my child naturally demands to do.

I've also periodically watched old Bill Nye or Mr. Wizard clips with him on youtube if he needs information on a specific topic.

Another Youtube option is this channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/1veritasium

It's not for kids, but it's well-done and pretty accessible.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by Portia
    As for infinite, it is like a parent's love - there is always more and it knows no bounds.
    Portia, love this! Thank you very much for all the links and reco's.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by appleblossom
    Videos are weirdly challenging, because so many of the glossy ones are done in a very dramatic way where it's not just "Here's how hurricanes work", but instead "DEADLY SUPER STORM! WILL YOU SURVIVE?" - totally upsetting for sensitive kids like mine.
    You're absolutely right. It's so challenging to find material that meets their intellectual desire, but is emotionally appropriate.

Originally Posted by appleblossom
    I've had not-great luck with full-length science videos, with the odd exception - if you have Netflix or Amazon Prime, some of the older science videos are pretty slow/calm and acceptable. My kid has been willing to watch chunks of Sagan's THE COSMOS as long as I sit with him and pause it to discuss when he needs to.

I find a lot of the stuff that is actually for kids (Magic Schoolbus and so on) too loud and busy and non-literal ("But school buses can't shrink down and fly into your blood.") and generally kind of a bust.

But I have one possible option for you: there's a BBC kid show called Nina and the Neurons that is actually about science, and is calm and literal. The different series are about engineering, biology, science, and so on. The episodes are 15 minutes long and hosted by a female scientist character (which I value, YMMV). Downside is there's no legal way to get it in the US that I know of, so you're stuck watching it on Youtube. Here's the episode about stars:

(That user has a lot of Nina and the Neurons episodes.)

Another option is a show my kid has gone through phases of being very into: Beakman's World (on Netflix streaming). It's a pretty dorky show from the 90s, and is very loud and fast-cutting and has a lot of sound effects (all things I dislike) but is also pretty serious about the science, and does not do the thing where it uses magic or things that can't actually happen. Significant downside is that each episode features an experiment, which my child naturally demands to do.

I've also periodically watched old Bill Nye or Mr. Wizard clips with him on youtube if he needs information on a specific topic.

Another Youtube option is this channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/1veritasium

It's not for kids, but it's well-done and pretty accessible.
    Thanks for all the recommendations! I look forward to checking out the Nina videos. My DS really likes Bill Nye and movies like "Roving Mars".

A
    A
    We're finding we're hitting a ceiling with most children's programming for DS2. One idea DH and I are weighing is watching segments of Myth Busters as a family. While it won't satisfy burning big questions, I see it as an intellectual snack for my little man with a mechanical bent. Somewhat tangential to your OP, but hopefully helpful still.

It's so challenging finding appropriate media. Some backdated IMAX films are proving to be the most gentle, accessible videos for our DS. The cinematography is stunning, too.

It's not video, but this series by Stephen Hawking for children fits the bill content-wise. Will definitely be buying as a read-aloud for my DS if his interest is there later.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/1416985840

What is to give light must endure burning.
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Aquinas, my DS may eat several times per day, but the "intellectual snacks" are constant smile

Thanks for the tip on the IMAX films.

U
    U
    Oo, thank you for Veritasium--DD9 is really going to love that.

DS's fave video is a Blue PLanet one on the deep ocean and it's pretty darn nonviolent, but some of them surely have some predation.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent