Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #175995 11/27/13 09:40 AM
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    DD7 had her Eval this week. It was 1 of 2 appointments. So far the diagnosis is ADHD abd highly gifted. She recommended putting DD on medications because the ADHD is masking a lot. I feel really good about what we know so far.
    I would love to hear from others with ADHD.

My son has a lot of ADD symptoms stemming from his PDD-NOS and my daughter is like the poster child for ADHD. She is on Adderal XR and my son is on Tenex.

Meds can be a bit scary... sometimes you have to try a few different ones before you get one that works well for your child. Good luck to you guys! Meds can make an AMAZING difference.

~amy
    M
    M
    My DD is HG+ and has ADD, she's on concerta. It's definitely helped her a lot, but it's sure made us look to school like crazy pushy parents who think that their perfectly normal to "bright" child is super gifted and then put her on ADHD medication because she's not living up to our expectations... If only we would get over ourswlves and just let her cruise along achieving nothing it would all be fine... I hope you avoid this less than charming experience! But really when a 6 yr old a) lights up with joy of success at the most basic tasks they could do before and b) says "I feel better, I like it, I want it to last all day every day" things are pretty clear.

I
    I
    Jholland, I just sat through this entire presentation on ADHD (my son may or may not have it so I am trying to educate myself as much as possible). This video is FABULOUS... I HIGHLY recommend it. It is a bit long - I watched over the course of two days but it is HIGHLY enlightening and educational.

B
    B
    My DD was diagnosed when she was 6 and meds made a big difference for her. She went from doing almost nothing in first grade to actually completing work and making good progress. We had to play around with the meds a lot. Concerta worked well for her but wore off rather quickly and she was moody as it wore off. Tenex turned her into a sedated, unfocused zombie. Adderall made her very crabby, hypersensitive, and also wore off quickly, like the Concerta (even the extended release stuff). She is on a Daytrana patch now combined with short acting ritalin just in the morning (as we wait for the patch to kick in--it takes a few hours), and that is working the best for her. Only problem is that she has NO appetite until about 7 pm. Good luck!

M
    M
    Ive only gotten 15 mins into that video Irena and he's hit on one of the MAJOR reasons I pursued a diagnosis and medication last year - I could see DD head straight to ODD... And the medication did totally turn that around. And her 3 week break from medication earlier this term really set us back on that front.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by Irena
    Jholland, I just sat through this entire presentation on ADHD (my son may or may not have it so I am trying to educate myself as much as possible). This video is FABULOUS... I HIGHLY recommend it. It is a bit long - I watched over the course of two days but it is HIGHLY enlightening and educational.

I have not watched the full video just yet. The information so far is so eye opening and so on point with DD. Thanks for posting this!

I
    I
    It's a great presentation, isn't it?!

I have to say through most of it, though, I did not see my son... That is why I am concerned - my son doesn't have any of those behavioral issues arising particularly out of an inability to inhibit and regulate... If anything he is overly-cautious, very careful. He is just rather 'inattentive' in school...

Last edited by Irena; 11/28/13 10:05 AM.
    M
    M
    Did the SET (I can't remember what it stood for) section ring any bells for you?

I
    I
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    Did the SET (I can't remember what it stood for) section ring any bells for you?

SCT - slow cognitive tempo ... That rang a bit more true than the adhd but still didn't quite fit - he's not lethargic for example. Nor is he foggy or easily confused. To be honest, I don't have have any problems with him at home and in his extracurriculars. I don't have concerns with him being babysat or staying at a friend's house.He used to have more executive functioning issues at home but those have decreased. He clears his place after eating. He tidies up after himself after bath (hangs his towel, put clothes in dirty wash, etc). He dresses himself, brushes his teeth, etc. I do have to remind him to get started or to quicken the pace at times but usually only once. I wouldn't say he has awesome executive functioning - but he seems okay. Then again demands at home are much less than school I suppose. He is spacey in that he goes off to make up stories, act them out etc. he also moves and fidgets a lot - he paces and he clicks his joints around. Physically, he is not still.

Who knows what my kid has - it's probably some condition that hasn't been "discovered" yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM