Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Z
    Z
    I'd favor the LEGO one, because that also builds to skills for robotics competitions and needs specialized hardware to do and is not easy to troubleshoot oneself; does he do LEGOs at home?. With Scratch, if it interests him, it is free at home and fairly intuitive to use: if he likes it, odds are he is up and running and doing stuff in an hour on his own, if he doens't odds are the class isn't that much fun. Minecraft is pretty clunky to do progammatic work in or game design, I'd speculate it is more soft skills in level design than re-useable programming type skills; Minecraft also has such a rich Youtube presence and community, a class seems a bit counter-intuitive.

I
    I
    Thanks Zen! That's what along the lines of what I was thinking but I know nothing about this stuff. He does stuff on minecraft all of the time (for example "making adventure maps?" etc) and he and his brother watch youtube videos for ideas. They also play with my husband so I was thinking there may not be much more that a class can give him. Scratch, I have heard is free is free online and my DH said he could do that with him. The one he has never done is the robotics...

When you ask if he does "legos at home" ... He builds with the real legos but has done nothing that I am aware of with any lego software or computer related. There is a robotics club at school but you have tp be in at least 3rd grade to do it (frustratingly it is the same with chess grrrr)

Last edited by Irena; 11/14/13 11:56 AM.
    Z
    Z
    Welcome. I meant with real LEGOs, since doing Mindstorms necessarily involves physical LEGO construction. If he hadn't worked with LEGOs, I was going to suggest trying them before committing to that path.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Welcome. I meant with real LEGOs, since doing Mindstorms necessarily involves physical LEGO construction. If he hadn't worked with LEGOs, I was going to suggest trying them before committing to that path.

Ahhh got it - yes has been doing free-play with legos since he was very small, has done kits as well (like the ninjangos where you build certain things per directions) Also loved the lego bionicles...

Okay great ... I'm gonna sign him up for that one! Thanks again! smile

Last edited by Irena; 11/14/13 01:06 PM.
    S
    S
    For people who like Scratch, check out what I just came across!!

https://www.play-i.com

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs