Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 33 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    This is long but really inspiring! I love how he talks about how his mother advocated for him! If you have some time watch it, especially if you have twice-exceptional child!

Last edited by Irena; 11/23/13 04:36 PM.
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Some favorite Quotes:

“Difficult children make interesting adults.”

and

"You know, real intellectuals, they don't care how you get there, they just want you to get there. They don't care about process, they care about ideas. These are people who are on fire about the big ideas in the world, and the other stuff is minutia, right? And that's what father young believed, that's what he understood, he was going to hold me to the highest expectations, higher expectations than the rest of the class, but he was going to give me multiple ways to reach those expectations. …I didn't have to argue with this guy about whether we needed to take time extensions or not because he understood that how well I know something is more important than how fast I know something. He understood that we're not trying to educate a generation of jeopardy contestants, right? Why -- why is time the determining factor, right? So he understood that if you get somebody interested in these ideas, we got to nurture that and we have to accommodate and change the environment."

and

“My mother was a vociferous advocate for me. And the central component of my relationship for her,something she said every day, was 'you don't need somebody to fix you, you need somebody to fight for you and with you because what's happening to you is an injustice.'”

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    You know, I would really like to send this talk to the school psych and principal at my son's school as well as my son's iep support teacher, and regular-ed teacher. I just found it so inspiring and an important reminder of how they can affect a student who learns differently. I am not sure of course that they would watch it but would it be gauche to do so? Or offensive?

G
    G
    “Difficult children make interesting adults.”

Love that! It reminds me of one of my favorite Mark Twain quotes:

"My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it."

Come to think of it, difficult children make interesting children, too.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs