Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 275 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    I've been pondering what the very least the public education system should do for our kids. The best thing, of course, would be if they would individualize education for every child, but that's eons from happening.

IMO, the very least that should be mandated is IDENTIFICATION.

Parents at least deserve that information so they can help their kids, imo.

Willa Gayle
    S
    S
    I think the very least would be allowing students to enter school when ready. Our state has a very strict no early entry guideline and no grade skipping for Kindergarten and first grade. Also, a strict deadline of Sept. 1 as the cutoff birthdate for entering school that calendar year.
    I just can't imagine denying a child a chance to learn just because of when their birthdate fell.

S
    S
    I've been thinking about this same question, as I plan to go into a conference. What do they feel their responsibility is with regards to my 6 year old son? The sad reality is that with cuts in educational funding coupled with national/state standards, it may be all they can do to teach to the bottom and middle of the class to get them up to required levels. How much time and energy are they able and willing to give kids in the upper part of the curve? It is a fundamental issue - will the teacher/counselor feel they have a responsibility to see that my son is being challenged? Willa Gayle, I think you may be right that identification may be the least they can do - but maybe sometimes all they can do also.

S
    S
    The thing I don't understand is - how does subject acceleration cost the school money? I guess if there were too many kids in a class and the need for more teachers, but other than that - as long as there is a seat why can't a child do it.
    It would also take the burden off of teachers who could focus their attention on the students who actually do need help in the math area the teacher is getting.
    I honestly don't understand why TEACHERS don't advocate for subject accleration in the least. I am an adjunct college professor and it is much easier to teach a class with students at similar education/intelligence levels then when I have students all over the map.
    It is the teacher push back I really don't understand.

I would agree, Willa. Identification is the very least that we as parents should expect. I think the problem with that is that once a child is identified, as anything, then the school system would have to have a plan in place for providing services.

I once sat in on a meeting between educational people and healthcare providers that was called because the new child psychiatrist at our hospital was diagnosing "so many kids" with autism. The school administration stated at the meeting that they were just not prepared to deal with all these kids with autism. The school superintendent himself said "You see, doctor, every time you diagnose a child with autism WE have to provide services." The doctor looked at the superintendent and asked "What do you want me to do? Stop properly diagnosing these children who have never received the appropriate services just because you haven't yet figured out how to serve them? You better figure it out because these kids aren't going away." Many in the room were shocked and it shut the school people up for sure!

And, amazingly, the local school district launched an initiative to develop an "autism team" to address all the kids that were being identified. Now, I know that it was driven by special ed laws, but wouldn't it be great if we could identify enough numbers of gifted kids that needed more challenge, so the school just couldn't ignore them anymore? They say there is power in numbers - maybe that's what we need.

D
    D
    I believe one reason some teachers don�t want to subject accelerate or grade accelerate is if they do, it will set a precedence of accommodation. They want the kids to comply with the structure of their classroom and make their system run smoothly.

I agree that there is power in numbers. However, most kids that we are acquainted with in our town are bright or some level of gifted. (I am in a minority of the parents here because I only have a bachelor�s degree). Most parents are perfectly happy as long as their children are making A�s and scoring high on the state tests. It seems that high grades are valued more than overcoming a challenge. Perfectionism is rampant!

What are the opinions of most gifted parents you know?

S
    S
    Most gifted parents I know believe the hype of "socialization" or some how feel guilty because their child is gifted. They don't realize that just as the name implies, it is a gift (and I believe a gift from God). No one choose it, no one stole. Just like no one choose to have a learning disability.
    I think there is also a lot of confusion around "gifted" and "smart". Many parents would prefer a "smart" child over a "gifted" child in my area

D
    D
    I agree with you stbmom that giftedness is from God and we have a responsibility to make good use of it. My kids know they are expected to develop their talents to their highest ability and to use their knowledge, skills and financial rewards in an ethical manner.

You are also correct to point out the difference between smart and gifted. I do know other gifted kids, however, most are probably smart. It�s easier to see that difference when they are toddlers and preschoolers though!

D
    D
    Debbie,
    That is an amazing story! It�s probably repeated around the country every day.

I believe the reason my daughter was found to have no deficit by the school district psychologist and school district speech therapist is because they are either unethical or incompetent. Actually, I believe it is a combination of the two. They are �Masters of the Obvious� coupled with a prejudice against gifted children with learning differences. Philosophically, their sympathy lies with children who are behind and politically, they know there are limited resources and choose to apply them only where they cannot deny a learning disability (because it is evident to everyone).

Every professional (all with higher credentials) she had seen outside of the school district, believes there is defiantly a receptive language and phonological perception issue (whether compared to her IQ or not).

The only accommodation that we wanted was a grade skip in combination with relocation to a school with walls. No extra costs involved! 51/2 years after accomplishing these goals with a private school, I can say without hesitation, we were right about her learning difference (which has been further confirmed) and we were right that she needed a grade advance and THEY WERE WRONG!

I applaud this doctor in his response to the school administration. I don�t believe that clinical or medical evaluators should let the politics of limited resources influence their assessment. It is simply not their concern. If they do consider those issues, they may be in favor with the district superintendant, but their own professional credibility is lost.

I know that I am going to make a stirr here, but please look at the intelligence level of our teachers - again, I am trying not to offend anyone here. Maybe if they were paid more, things would change (over a few decades of course ;-)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM