Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    A
    Allegra Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Hi y'all! New here - I tried the search engine but I'm not finding what I'm looking for. I'm hoping you can help or point me in the right direction please. My 3rd grader tested above 97% on verbal testing and was suggested she take the SCAT for the John Hopkins program. I looked at some of the samples and they are nothing like what she works on now. Are there any resources that you can recommend that have practice tests or samples for her to work on?

Also, while she scored very well on her schoolwork, she is apparently not in line socially, performing at more of a 1st grade level. Any suggestions for books for me (or her) to help us work on her socialization skills?

Thank you in advance!

Allegra

Basically bumping for you in case someone else has more information.

I believe the Johns Hopkins site has some sample questions and information about the format of the test.

A
    Allegra Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks for the help in the test taking. She's used to taking AR tests at school but since she's in a private school, they really dont do much by way of standardized tests. I'll just work with her on the format they have so she understands the questions they are asking.

As far as the social thing goes, she does not work well with others - she prefers to go her own way (which is much like I was for most of my school years) She tends to try to dominate and does not really have a good friend. She does feel the lack but doesnt understand why the "girls" dont want to play. She is much better friends with the boys for sure.

I dont allow a lot of "tech" in our home so she doesnt have a phone or know how to text like the "cool girls" in her class. Thats not something I am willing to bend on though so just need to work with her to help her play appropriately.

S
    S
    I don't know about resources but my 6 yr old took the test this year and due to me not reading up on it ahead of time, he didn't finish the math section. Make sure she guesses answers before time runs out because you don't get taken off for incorrect answers. My son missed out by 1 question... My bad.

P
    P
    I may be the odd person out here, but I wouldn't worry about prepping for the SCAT, other than letting your dd know where she'll be taking it and perhaps going through the sample problems on the CTY website. I found it useful to see how my kids scored on it without prep, and it sounds like your dd has strong verbal abilities based on her other testing. Has your school promised some type of differentiation based on the results of your dd's SCAT score? Or are you thinking of enrolling in CTY programs?

polarbear

G
    G
    The Critical Thinking Company has Thinkanalogy puzzles that are pretty good practice for the SCAT verbal.

A
    Allegra Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Or are you thinking of enrolling in CTY programs?

This.

Something else I thought of - we were considering the SCAT for our younger daughter since she is not old enough for any other form of "talent search" type testing like EXPLORE. We found out that she would do her testing in a large room with other kids, teens, and adults taking various other tests. We had concerns she wouldn't feel comfortable or be able to truly concentrate in that type of testing environment. You might want to check into how and where the testing is done.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by 1frugalmom
    Something else I thought of - we were considering the SCAT for our younger daughter since she is not old enough for any other form of "talent search" type testing like EXPLORE.

I was going to start a thread but I might as well ask here. We were thinking of having DS7 (Gr 2) try SCAT this school year in the absence of other "talent search" type testing. It would be purely to "see where he is", and maybe to get accustomed to testing. I'm pretty sure we'll have him try EXPLORE in Grade 3.

Is there really any point in having him try SCAT in Grade 2?

B
    B
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Is there really any point in having him try SCAT in Grade 2?
    Our son's getting a good score on the SCAT in grade 2 encouraged us to think he would be ready for the EXPLORE in grade 3, and his good score on that suggested taking the SAT in grade 4, where he did very well on the math.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM