Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    stbmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    We had an "assessment" teleconference today with Dr. Deborah Ruf (Educational Options) regarding our 15 month old son. Although she said he was the youngest she had gotten started with, she was glad we did it so soon.
    Since we of course we couldn't do formal testing, we filled out a milestone review and offered information on my husband and myself as well.
    Wow! What a great 2 hours we had with her on the phone. I learned a ton and now feel so much more ready for what lies ahead. She also encouraged us to continue to fill in the milestone sheet (it asks questions such as when did child start reading, etc.) and use it to develop a portfolio.
    She also gave us great ideas for early education options (we are in a no entry Kindergarten state, plus other issues) and has agreed to review the schools we are considering for ds when he is around 3/4 and give a recommendation.
    It was a breath of fresh air to speak with a professional that didn't think we were bragging or making things up and gave us encouragement and affirmation we were doing the right thing. She informed us that the way ds is tracking at this point, we will probably have to stick with a Montessori type school along with at least partial homeschooling/turtoring which we were prepared to do. She also said when the time is right we can look into programs like Davidson. She also had great ideas such as letting him participate in community sports (if interested) for "age based" interaction so that the focus during education can be on education. This set well with us as my son is very physical now and my husband (also gifted, but never officially tested) played football, baseball, weight lifted, and ran track - all while taking advanced math and science classes. So, it really helped him feel good about encouraging my son in sports (he is quite the football fan so far), but we also won't push him.

Trinty - thank you so much for the recommendation!!

Sbtmom,
    I'm so glad you got the experience of dealing with a professions that didn't doubt your story! Yippee! If only we had had that "way back when" ((shrug))

I think having a professional you can count on over the years is a terrific thing.

Yippee!
    Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    stbmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I am definitely seeing her as a "gifted guide" especially because she has such a heart for gifted boys who often don't fare as well in traditional education because of the different ways they manifest their gifts.
    She is also very supportive of parents in helping us come to terms with our giftedness (definitely repressed it!!).
    I was glad she is willing to begin working with us so early, having an advocate that can give advice when needed and an ear is really good.
    Luckily ds is in a great daycare right now (he was just "promoted" to a 19 - 24 month class today at 15 months). They really take the time to monitor him and ensure the fit is good for each class (they moved him to the 12-18 month class when he was 9 months). They observe how he plays with the toys and other kids and when he starts to seem bored or slow down in development - they are quick to move him. I can tell he was around older kids because he was very talkative today. He was listening to a CD of chidlren's music just now and said "roll over" (The song about kids in the bed and the little one said roll over). Its just a shame that our local school system doesn't function the same way.
    They REFUSE to do a grade skip for Kindergarten or first grade. To make matters worse, our son has an Oct birthday and the cut off for entry is Sept. 1. So, instead of skipping a grade he would actually be held back a year if we went the public school route. I have a friend that teaches kindergarten here in the state and she said she gets kids that are not yet potty trained and have never seen a book. So, even though school is a LONG way away for us, we really needed to start looking at our options early (and there are not a whole lot of them around here).

D
    D
    It is so cool that you have consulted with Dr. Ruf while your child is so young! You are definitely getting quite a head start with your son. Maybe he will be featured in her next book!

S
    stbmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Maybe - but she is very honest and I would hate to end up in the "wrong" chapter!!!

A
    A
    Wow, that sounds awesome! Congrats on a great consultation!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations