Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    D
    Dbat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Hi,
    DD10 is about to get braces and is kind of freaking out about not being able to have caramel and popcorn for two years (food being her favorite thing in the world wink I think I can talk her down from that concern by emphasizing that she will still be able to eat chocolate, etc.

But I am starting to really worry about the braces themselves for a kid who is soooo picky about clothes--she hates seams, tags, etc. and we've worked around that, but what if she freaks out about how the braces feel in her mouth?? She's also super picky about food. I remember not liking braces at all and I'm also picky about tags and seams, but not as much as her so I just wonder how it's going to go and whether there's anything at all we can do to make it go more smoothly. Her orthodontist says she's not a candidate for those Invisalign things because her teeth need too much readjustment. Has anyone BTDT with a sensitive kid?

Last edited by Dbat; 11/15/13 09:20 AM.
    Dbat-- my DD is one of those kids, too-- she has done okay with her orthodontia...

I worry more about the retainer side of things, though-- because with THAT she can actually do something about it. Luckily she also has an acquiantance that did just that and is now back in braces for her senior year of high school.

The initial pain was the bigger deal in our DD's case. HTH.

She has just reminded me that there are just 17 days until the darned things come off, however. It's not as though she hasn't complained about the process... but they can't really DO much about it. Well, there was my DH who took his off with needlenose pliers in the garage, but I'm told that he's exceptional that way. eek

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    Dbat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks, HK. I remember them hurting some but it's been so long it's a hazy memory. I'm thinking maybe we should wait until Summer to get them on so DD doesn't have to deal with her school stuff at the same time, as she gets quite crabby when she is not comfortable.

I am amazed and impressed that your DH took them off by himself!!--I never would have had the guts to do that. Did his parents give up then on braces, or did he end up having to get them anyway?

C
    C
    Yes, DS11 is in the beginning stages of his orthodontic work. He is sensitive, too, and very picky about food. Really had trouble with the dentist when he was younger, and lots of resistance to brushing. Also, he watched his sister go through her orthodontic work, and was wary after listening to her years of complaining.

How does she do at the dentist, and with brushing? We actually waited several months before starting, as DS was not great with brushing (lots of oral sensitivity issues...). The orthodontist talked to him about things, asked him if he was ready (for his braces and the responsibility it entails) and DS said "no, I don't think so"! So we worked fairly aggressively with him on it and went back this summer.

Partly because of sensitivity concerns, they opted to put just the top braces on at first; he goes in for the bottom braces in a few weeks. He has done fantastically, really surprised us (and the orthodontist), though he is only a few months into it so hasn't had many wire tightenings, no rubber bands yet, etc. He needed prodding about brushing at first, but has risen to the challenge and is doing well. (This orthodontist wants kids to use a specific electric toothbrush which is pretty uncomfortable for DS but he is a trooper and sticking with it). Also, it may help that he is partial to soft foods, could live on yogurt, for example, so his diet didn't change much. He misses raw carrots and whole apples, but we cut them thin and he is ok with it.

I would make sure the orthodontist understands your concerns, and make sure your DD is involved in the conversations/plans. For example, DS knows his total braces time will be slightly longer because of the slower approach they are starting with, but they explained that they felt he would tolerate it much better. So far, it has been easier than DS expected, so I think that has helped him hold up his end of things (hygiene particularly, but also being careful to avoid certain foods).

Also, I make sure to give him some Tylenol or Ibuprofen before we visit the orthodontist, and make sure to have some favorite soft meals planned for the next few days. Lots of lip balm helps, too. Lunches at school can be tough- lots of yogurt, I make big batches of applesauce, soup, puddings, smoothies, etc. It takes a lot more time to brush they way they are expected to, so we try to remind him early, be patient, etc.

Good luck-

D
    Dbat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks, cricket3--I had really forgotten about the details. I do think we need to get DD to be 'ready.' I was thinking it wouldn't be such a big deal but she has been really talking about all the downsides a lot since they told us her teeth were all in and we could start. I guess I need to have a discussion with the orthodontist about DD--I think he's good, but their office is such an assembly line I wonder if they've had many reluctant kids there. DD was asking a lot of questions at the last appointment about foods and they seemed patient with her but we really only got a couple of 'bullet points' that were also on the back of her appointment card which were basically "no popcorn" and "no chewy or hard candy," which had DD literally in tears. Nobody talked about pain, which is good in a way I guess, but she will definitely need to be ready or I think it will be a very bad scene. frown Thanks again for the details.

Originally Posted by Dbat
    Thanks, HK. I remember them hurting some but it's been so long it's a hazy memory. I'm thinking maybe we should wait until Summer to get them on so DD doesn't have to deal with her school stuff at the same time, as she gets quite crabby when she is not comfortable.

I am amazed and impressed that your DH took them off by himself!!--I never would have had the guts to do that. Did his parents give up then on braces, or did he end up having to get them anyway?

He says that his dad just about shot a rod when DH GRINNED that night at the dinner table (sans metal), and the orthodontist was seriously impressed by his determination and pain tolerance.

Yes, he had them put BACK on... but apparently during the late 70's in the LA basin, my DH was a legend among the Orthodontics professionals.

I cannot even imagine. My other tips for dealing with a sensitive kiddo in braces:

Pick up about twice as much wax as you think you'll want, and use it LIBERALLY to avoid mouth sores

Premedicate with motrin or ibuprofen prior to appointments, and keep it coming for the first 48 hours after adjustments

keep a VERY soft toothbrush handy for those times when they refuse to use the regular one-- a little cleaning is still better than none at all.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations