Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #174711 11/14/13 11:53 AM
    OP Offline
    We recently bought a piano and I want to teach my DS7 how to play (I play but am a little rusty since I haven't owned a piano as an adult). He already grasps a lot of the technical things about music but hasn't had the chance to apply them because we haven't had an instrument. After previewing a few different books on Amazon, I think they may move a little slow for him. Any recommendations on a beginning piano book for gifted kids?

Mom to 2 kiddos - DS 9 with SPD and visual processing issues and DD 6 who is NT
    A
    A
    I recommend that you start with elementary aged books even though your child may be gifted. Even if his sight reading, ear training and theory are excellent, there are a lot of things in piano playing that take time - the finger position, hand-eye coordination, posture and just all of it coming together. If you jump in at a higher level or use an accelerated course, all of these things may or may not fall into place for a child. If after you start teaching a course at the beginner elementary level and feel that your DS is getting it all and needs no repetition to advance, you have several options:
    1. Condense that level to accelerate to the next level
    2. Jump to the Accelerated Piano course of that publisher
    3. Use option #1 but add in more repertoire to include various artists and styles of music
    From the little experience that I have, Faber's Piano Adventures series and The Music Tree series are pretty good. We use the Faber PA series now after graduating from preK level Alfred, JT and Little Mozarts. I love how Faber has supplementary books like the Developing Artist series, Gold performance books and the "PreTime to BigTime" series. They also have an "Accelerated Piano Adventures" which might be an option you can pursue if you find PA too slow for your child.
    I also add in really fun, interest driven music books that boys my son's age like (he is 6) - e.g. Harry Potter, Star Wars, Pirates etc in addition to Mozart, Beethoven etc.
    We have a teacher who is happy to teach "extra requests" and flexible enough to fit these into her curriculum.

Good luck.

A
    A
    The Royal Conservatory of Music books from Canada are lovely and make significant advances in terms of difficulty at each level. The repertoire is varied and rich.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    P
    P
    My impression is that the books are all arranged in similar orders in terms of what basic knowledge and skills are introduced, but you can move at any pace that works for your kid. Each of my kids stayed on the basic method books for a very short period of time. I remember my DD8 (when she started piano at 5.5 yo) spent 2-3 months with a few method books that would usually take at least a year to cover, and then just moved on to standard repertoire. Even when she was using these method books the teacher supplemented with lots of other pieces as well. My feeling is that the books don't matter as much as the experience of the teacher who can tell what is the right content and pace for a kid.

In terms of books, I agree with aquinas that the RCM books are really good. But they are not method books, they are leveled repertoire books (meaning that they don't explain note names, time values, key signatures, expressions, etc). In terms of method books, aside from what has been mentioned above, we also liked very much Succeeding at the Piano by Helen Marlais.

B
    B
    DS5 is using Bastien books. He cruised through the first few fairly quickly compared to a friend that started a few months earlier but there is theory along the way which is great. I also find free sheet music of favourite classical songs, Star Wars etc and he makes his own music up too.

M
    M
    You can look at the Suzuki books. I love them mostly because they get into playing actual pieces with both hands quickly. DS5 has been having lessons for about 6 months now and absolutely loves it!

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    A
    A
    Playandlearn is right. I enjoyed this book for music theory:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/1554400112

What is to give light must endure burning.
    B
    B
    We started with a combo of Faber and Suzuki, which worked well. We've moved on after a little less than 2 years to just playing music from intermediate books. The combo was a great start, but more important was switching to a professional musician from a piano teacher. We travel an hour twice month and I manage things in between.

Bean

C
    C
    the music tree is a great book for beginners. in general, i wouldn't jump into more advanced stuff, without some focus on the basics, because a lot of piano is repetition and muscle memory as well as the theory and understanding...but if your DS grasps concepts quickly, you can simply move through the material at a faster pace, but the repetition is a necessary component in the process.

i'm personally not a fan of the suzuki method, because it puts zero emphasis on musicality, and so, kids usually end up playing the notes by rote, having little to no artistry in their actual playing. ends up sounding robotic, imo. of course, this is coming from someone with a degree in music (aka, a bit of a music snob wink ), so this may not apply to/bother you.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Marnie
    the music tree is a great book for beginners. in general, i wouldn't jump into more advanced stuff, without some focus on the basics, because a lot of piano is repetition and muscle memory as well as the theory and understanding...but if your DS grasps concepts quickly, you can simply move through the material at a faster pace, but the repetition is a necessary component in the process.

i'm personally not a fan of the suzuki method, because it puts zero emphasis on musicality, and so, kids usually end up playing the notes by rote, having little to no artistry in their actual playing. ends up sounding robotic, imo. of course, this is coming from someone with a degree in music (aka, a bit of a music snob wink ), so this may not apply to/bother you.

Suzuki bothered us (dd especially) but she had started out as a four year old with a violin, so it was an easy transition. The Faber almost over does the dynamics, so it sort of evened out.

Dd did not want to continue the combo- she wanted real music. In retrospect, I would consider looking at Faber's "older beginner" series. I think it moves through the basics more quickly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM