Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #174270 11/10/13 01:26 PM
    T
    TNC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    I have been lurking her for a while and have found this group to be so helpful and insightful. I have had DD4 tested hoping it would help with school advocacy - which I am not sure it made much of a difference. That is a whole other discussion.

Last edited by TNC; 03/19/14 06:12 PM.
    C
    C
    If you can get the WPPSI done in a reasonable time frame (i.e. there isn't something that you think that you'd get out of DYS that you need asap), I'd probably wait for those scores before applying. I say this because, if I am recalling DYS application guidelines correctly, none of the test scores you have are ones they consider. For the WJ achievement (which appears to be what you have there given the Reading/Writing/Achievement/Apps scores), they want Broad scores, not brief scores. I also don't think that the RIAS is among the tests they take.

All of this is probably due to the brief nature of these "brief" achievement scores and the RIAS, not because your kiddo is not a candidate for DYS. I think that they just want more complete measures, which these are not. I'd expect that they'd want a pretty good portfolio without broad or full scale scores for either achievement or IQ. I could, of course, be wrong though.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by TNC
    ... DD4... I would like to apply for DYS...
    Based on information provided, she may be too young. If I understand correctly, the minimum age is 5. (link- http://www.davidsongifted.org/youngscholars/Article/Davidson_Young_Scholars___How_to_Apply_378.aspx) This would allow more time for testing and/or creating a portfolio.

T
    TNC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    DD will be 5 in the nearer future (probably about the amount of time it would take me to put together a portfolio), but thank you for pointing that out indigo. I had forgotten smile

P
    P
    If it's possible to apply at 4 (not sure it is?), I'd make the decision based on what you think you will be able to achieve through DYS in terms of advocacy - because I think that's the piece you're looking for? Whether or not you'll get help that makes a difference through DYS, you'll want to be sure you know as much as you can about available options in my local area for whatever type of academic situation/acceleration/challenge etc you want for your child - so I would work through that first before worrying about applying to DYS.

OTOH, I wouldn't turn down an opportunity for free testing through the school district. It's a data point, it's free, it might not be as timely as you like, but definitely go ahead and do it (unless you feel you really really need to test sooner). If you decide to test privately, this is jmo, but I'd probably wait for a WISC (otoh, will you be able to get the WISC through your school district when your dd is old enough?). I've found that the WISC carries a bit more weight than the WPPSI in advocating - and with scores like you've posted above, chances are you are going to be advocating for most of your child's school career, so if funds and opportunities for testing are limited, I'd want to wait for the test that might carry a bit more weight and be less likely to be questioned.

One other thought - the school psych has admitted he's rarely seen scores that high - is there anything you can do to leverage his knowledge of how unique your dd's' scores are? Did he have any suggestions for how to place/accommodate your dd in her current school or in the school district? Sometimes you'll run head-on into brick walls with school staff, but if you keep chipping away with requests and you have data (which you have) and a school staff member who believes that your child needs what you're requesting (which it sounds like this psych may be supportive) then you can make progress - it just takes time and repeated effort.

Hang in there! And good luck smile

polarbear

T
    TNC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    I'd make the decision based on what you think you will be able to achieve through DYS in terms of advocacy - because I think that's the piece you're looking for?
    DD is in a Montessori school and advocacy is an issue. They believe they have had, and currently have "more then a few" children at DD's level - I am doubtful. I feel if they had more experience with children in DD's range they would not have been so resistant to giving DD the opportunity to explore some of the "older children's" works. Plus I suspect I am still seen as the "pushy" parent trying to hothouse my DD. LOL! DD is my first child and this is all so new to me, any help DYS can provide will be so greatly appreciated.

(otoh, will you be able to get the WISC through your school district when your dd is old enough?).
    You bring up an excellent point. I don't know if the school district will test on the WISC, though I suspect they would when she is old enough. But if I have her tested on the WPPSI they may refuse to do further testing.

One other thought - the school psych has admitted he's rarely seen scores that high - is there anything you can do to leverage his knowledge of how unique your dd's' scores are?
    Unfortunately the psych is part of the local public school district and the Director of DD's school doesn't hold much confidence in the district. When I mentioned I was thinking of having the school district do another evaluation to help with DYS application, she scoffed and said "good luck with that." I hadn't though of asking the psych for anything other then the test and now I will. Thank you for bringing that up! Who knows what will, if anything, bring DD's school around.

Hi TNC. My 5 year was recently giventhe RIAS too. His CIX was a 142 with no significant scatter between the subtests. He is in public school Kindergarten and is 2e. (Aspie) I know information on these boards along with links and information on the net all points to the Rias being rather short. For my child the test took much longer, closer to 2 hours. (A couple of water, bathroom breaks) I was hoping that you would be open to sharing an approx. time that it took your child to get through the test. Thank you advanced. smile

T
    TNC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi Maisey, The psych said it was "typical" for her age. She didn't give a specific time, but I wouldn't say it was much longer then about a half hour or so. As well, the psych said her response time to the questions were average as well, with some taking bit longer and some taking no time at all. I hope that helps a little smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM