Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #17445 06/05/08 04:58 PM
    S
    Steph Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    HI,

I found this site after researching a lot online and came across the link through another board. Mom of 3, my youngest-DS5 recently finished K and won't be 6 until late June. He'd been pulled out for reading all year and the school suggested testing/skipping right before the end of the year. Based on lots of advice, the tests and recommendation from his school, we approved skipping him up to 2nd.

There is so much I want to discuss and this has kind of been a shock in ways. It feel really awkward talking to anyone we know IRL. It came up once that he was moving up and the other two asked why he just wasn't placed in the high ability group (pull out of class, no gifted classes separately) but he's well past that being a challenge for his grade (school's words) unless they put him in a much higher grade group. Even now, he'll still be pulled out for English & possibly math.

So I guess I wanted to connect with other moms, ask some questions and find out more about the programs available. Thanks!

Hi Steph

Welcome, I am also new to this board, but have found it very helpful. It is dificult to find people to speak to about our children. We have two boys one is also 5 with a birthday in July. We opted the private school route, many home school, public school, or some kind of mix. This is one of many great resourses that are out there.

Again welcome

Edwin

K
    K
    Welcome! You are incredibly lucky your school is proactive enough to initiate a skip and additional acceleration. I am a bit jealous!

We are at our neighborhood school where "everyone's gifted" so no one is. We may be homeschooling (I hope) in the fall.

Enjoy this community! It's incredibly helpful and welcoming.

Hi, Steph! I also have a DS5 at a public school. He was recently moved to first grade and will start 2nd grade in the fall.

I know what you mean about feeling awkward...most people are just curious though. Let me know if you figure out a good way to explain the skip to other parents smile

Cathy

Welcome to the board Steph!
    We're in a similar boat. My DS (just turned 6) will be skipping from K to 2nd next year. However, I had to really advocate for the skip and his school in general is not supportive of acceleration. Sounds like your school is much more flexible! Other parents from DS school have also said less-than-approving comments to me about the skip. There are a lot of experienced and down-to-earth parents here on the board who have validated my 'gut' feelings about what's best for my DS. It's nice to be reminded that you're not crazy or "pushy"!

Welcome Steph! I'm curious as to which tests your son took. I have a rising Ker (just turned 5) and I'm wondering if I should have him tested now or wait until he's 6-6.5yrs old.

Originally Posted by Steph
    It feel really awkward talking to anyone we know IRL.

Welcome Steph,
    I'm so glad you've found us! Your statement above 'qualifies' you to hang out here, so pull up some virtual beverage of choice, and set a while.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Welcome Steph,

I too have 5 year old son, who is about to finish K in Montessori. We are homeschooling next year. How nice that you got a grade skip and it sounds like the school initialized the move.

I saw your other post about DYS. Go ahead and apply, there is nothing to loose. You can use as many or as few of their services as you wish, the community is great. You get to meet new people in similar situation and hopefully make local contacts, which is truly priceless.

It's nice to be able to refer teachers/administrators to DITD. All of the sudden it's not only you saying that your child is really gifted.

LMom
    S
    Steph Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Awww, thanks for such a warm welcome, I feel a little better already. We didn't really debate sending him to K though he's one of the youngest, since he was already a fluent reader. I mentioned in passing to his K teacher that he was correcting his 2nd grade sis and the school did everything else. His READ teacher has been wonderful at exposing him to different books & working on writing projects. I do feel very fortunate that we are in such a proactive school/district.

To us, he's just this goofy, easygoing kid that can read really good. Now that I read some of the characteristics, I do see a few more signs. We weren't totally happy to need to skip him since he is so young & sensitive at times. I just feel like I lost a year of his childhood in a way, does that make sense? But I don't want to hold him back either.

Anyway, looking forward to sharing notes and getting lots of advice as we figure out what the heck to do w/him.

Welcome Steph!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM