Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 342 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Dude
    LOL... those aren't irrelevant in our home. DD8 has been watching random clips from Holy Grail and Life of Brian with me for the past two evenings.
    Apparently I was a Fawlty Towers fan at DS' age. I've lent my set out to a friend, but maybe I should have it returned and diversify DS' viewing menu. wink

And Yes, Minister...to die for.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    U
    U
    DD8's math homework recently had a word problem featuring a certain famous, household-name basketball player from Chicago's heyday who wore number 23.

We have noticed an unholy obsessions with baseball and basketball in DFD's homework. DD really does not care about these sports so she is perpetually mystified. Recently she had to fill in the blank with the word "foul" (the player "fouled" another player). Her only context for this word was "disgusting," so she was extremely confused.

There was something else lately where she was supposed to know what a triple play was.

I think these may be intended to make work more exciting to boys? I don't know, but seriously, they exclude some children.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    DD8's math homework recently had a word problem featuring a certain famous, household-name basketball player from Chicago's heyday who wore number 23.

We have noticed an unholy obsessions with baseball and basketball in DFD's homework. DD really does not care about these sports so she is perpetually mystified. Recently she had to fill in the blank with the word "foul" (the player "fouled" another player). Her only context for this word was "disgusting," so she was extremely confused.

There was something else lately where she was supposed to know what a triple play was.

I think these may be intended to make work more exciting to boys? I don't know, but seriously, they exclude some children.
    Part of cultural literacy is knowing the basics about the major American sports, including what a "foul ball" or "triple play" is. In the business world knowledge of professional and college sports is an important ice-breaker.

Originally Posted by Bostonian

Part of cultural literacy is knowing the basics about the major American sports, including what a "foul ball" or "triple play" is. In the business world knowledge of professional and college sports is an important ice-breaker.

Generally useful, but unimportant. Adults should be able to find common interests with each other that can act as social lubricants. Entertainment, travel, business experiences, and family are all similar, non-controversial topics.

However, in certain circles it's VERY important, because it ensures an executive is doing business with the "right kind" of person. Good-old-boys and glass ceilings, etc.

After all, just as ultramarina indicated this sort of thing excludes certain children in school, it's also quite handy for excluding certain adults in the business world.

B
    B

Generally useful, but unimportant. Adults should be able to find common interests with each other that can act as social lubricants. Entertainment, travel, business experiences, and family are all similar, non-controversial topics.

However, in certain circles it's VERY important, because it ensures an executive is doing business with the "right kind" of person. Good-old-boys and glass ceilings, etc.

After all, just as ultramarina indicated this sort of thing excludes certain children in school, it's also quite handy for excluding certain adults in the business world.
    Are we writing as parents or social reformers here? It looks like you don't disagree with my advice if that if you want your children to do well in business, have them know something about sports.

Are we writing as parents or social reformers here? It looks like you don't disagree with my advice if that if you want your children to do well in business, have them know something about sports.

Yes. And ideally, you played several as well.

Aren't we as parents, on a micro level, both?

As a way to break ice with a wide range of people, I would encourage her to develop a wide range of interests. If one of them happens to be a sport, so be it.

But since my DD is highly unlikely to be initiated into the good-old-boy club (seeing as how she is only one of the three), I do disagree. As a parent, I see little future financial value in educating her on the niceties of the infield fly rule.

As a way to break ice with a wide range of people, I would encourage her to develop a wide range of interests. If one of them happens to be a sport, so be it.

But since my DD is highly unlikely to be initiated into the good-old-boy club (seeing as how she is only one of the three), I do disagree. As a parent, I see little future financial value in educating her on the niceties of the infield fly rule.

I think his point is that you have to at least be able to pretend to get along with the relevant people because otherwise you will remain irrelevant.

Oh, I agree you have to pretend to get along with people. I just think there are a lot of ways to do that.

Only random Monty Python, Doctor Who, and Star Trek references truly let you know who the right people are, however. Everyone knows this. LOL.

Oh, sure-- some of those people also love sports. Some of them love chamber music. That is merely coincidence, though. grin

I've educated my spouse about early music notation and he's educated me about the niceties of a "perfect" game. In spite of irritating questions like "Shouldn't a pitcher really have to only make 27 pitches if he were truly having a "perfect" game?" I still maintain that this is a perfectly valid line of reasoning, but whatever. He seemed to think it was hopelessly gauche. I defer to his judgement on baseball, and he defers to me about composers. Ken Burns' work seems to suffice as common ground here, supporting Dude's assertion.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM