Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 414 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    N
    Nik Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    ...in Michigan. I thought this might be of interest to those of you who may have heard about neurofeedback but had reservations about it not being tried and true:

"Neurofeedback is now recognized as an effective alternative to medication for children under 18 by Blue Cross Blue Shield in Michigan. Neurofeedback is covered for treating ADHD in children under 18:

http://www.bcbsm.com/newsletter/therecord/record_1013/Record_1013m.shtml#!

scroll down to codes 90875 and 90876 to read policy provisions)"

Hopefully, policies in other states will soon follow as this is an excellent first option for parents that are reticent to medicate their children. I documented my daughter’s experience last year here:

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/149822/1.html

While I think this is a huge step forward for the health care industry to acknowledge the effectiveness of NF, I must include a caveat for anyone considering it:

There are 2 very different schools of thought in Neurofeedback, “Entrain and Migrate” and “Dynamical” in a nutshell:

Traditional NF takes a QEEG (static reading of all of the brainwave activity at one moment in time) and develops a protocol of pushing the brain towards a more “normal” or “average” state. This can be very effective, but you must trust the professional to decide what is best for your brain and it is very possible to overtrain and experience negative side effects. Also, this method assumes that “average” is good. For gifted children, average is actually “less than” if you get my drift.

Dynamical NF looks at the brain as a complex integrated system that is capable of optimizing itself when given feedback about its own activities, so it does not push the brain in any direction but rather provides instantaneous feedback which the brain uses to fix/adjust itself. It’s just like giving the brain a mirror – if you walk by a mirror, it’s almost impossible not to adjust something about yourself, your hair or your posture etc, you do this without even thinking about it. The brain responds the same way when given instantaneous feedback.

This is a gross simplification but hopefully a good starting point for anyone considering NF to research it some more.

Nik

B
    B
    Thanks. We're not in MI but I have been wondering about that.

D
    D
    Nik,

I read some of your previous posts about your daughter and neurofeedback. Did the neurofeedback help with the written expression disorder?

We are going to try it with our son and we are hoping to see improvement with the ease of writing. His problem is taking a very long time to produce anything. It really is an output problem.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM