Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 130 guests, and 100 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    I thought this was interesting in light of the recent thread on Common Core Common Core Mathematics: background
    Liping Ma critiques the "strand" structure of U.S. mathematics curriculum. Common Core seems more of the same, at least in the way I'm seeing implemented in my DD's school.
    A Critique of the Structure of U.S. Elementary School Mathematics
    The big influence of the first California framework, “The Strands Report”, published during the new math movement, was to fundamentally change the structure of U.S. mathematics content from a core-subject structure to a strands structure. During the past few decades, although the names of items changed from “strands” to “areas” to “standards”, the strands structure has remained. The damage this structure has caused to U.S. elementary mathematics education is the instability of content, discontinuity in instruction, and incoherence in concepts.

C
    C
    Are you aware of any curriculum that approaches math in the manner described in the article? I suppose having been brainwashed in the current strands methods, it is hard for me to imagine a progression that does not look at strands to some degree or another.

B
    B
    EPGY has strands, as described in

http://thoughtsongiftededucation.blogspot.com/2009/09/using-adaptive-programs-to-teach-math.html
    Using Adaptive Programs to Teach Math
    Thoughts on Gifted Education (blog)
    September 13, 2009

The online platform tracks progress across six different strands:

Number Sense: Integers
    Number Sense: Decimals and Fractions
    Geometry
    Logic and Reasoning
    Measurement
    Data/Statistics/Probability

A student could be at different levels in each strand. However, all strands must "graduate"to the next grade simultaneously. For instance, if a student completes the statistics strand one month before the others, the system increases the number of non-statistical questions until all strands make it to the next grade. The system adapts the difficulty and number of questions in a given topic according to the student's progress. Hence, every single student moves at a different speed and through a unique set of problems.

My children like EPGY and have learned from it. In recent EPGY sessions, my 3rd-grader, doing EPGY 5th grade math, has worked on

multiplication of numbers with several digits
    long division
    multiplying and dividing fractions
    identifying lines of symmetry
    logic
    getting information from bar graphs and pie graphs

Some advantages of strands could be that

(1) changing topics after a few minutes maintains interest
    (2) if a student is stuck on a topic, he can still move to other strands and feel successful

A report "Description of the EPGY Stanford University Online
    Courses for Mathematics and Language Arts" http://www.isteconference.org/2012/uploads/KEY_70208630/EPGYStanfordOnlineCoursesISTEJune2012_RP.pdf co-authored by Patrick Suppes, the creator of EPGY, describes the use of strands:

The adaptive motion engine at the core of the EPGY online course software is designed to adjust the number and sequence of exercises presented to each student based on their level of mastery of the concepts being taught, both in Math and in LA&W (Suppes 1967). Each concept typically has more than a dozen associated exercises, but if a student successfully
    answers most of the first several exercises, the motion engine sees that the student has mastered this concept, and advances the student to the next concept. Conversely, if a student misses several exercises after being taught a concept, the motion engine will continue to present exercises for that concept until the student demonstrates mastery. If a student shows continued difficulty with a given concept, the motion engine will move the student back to a prior concept, enabling the student to review the earlier building blocks needed for eventual mastery of the more challenging concept. The motion engine also weaves together the various strands that make up each course, at each step drawing the next presented concept from whichever strand will keep the student advancing through the grade while keeping progress aligned across the strands. The complex algorithm driving this adaptation of the movement through the course ensures that students are focusing their time in the course on concepts that challenge them while matching their mastery level, so the students stay engaged and rewarded in the learning process.

Maybe strands work better in a software-based course where a student's progress in all strands can be tracked than in the teacher-lead courses that are the norm.

There is some research at http://eric.ed.gov/ supporting "interleaving".

Last edited by Bostonian; 11/06/13 06:52 AM. Reason: added link to Suppes report
    22B Offline
    Hmmm these "strands" correspond to various branches of mathematics. It doesn't seem like a good idea to ignore some branches of mathematics. What am I missing here?

Bostonian, I wonder if that supports strand-based pedagogy-- or if it is more of an affirmation of adaptive/mastery-based pacing. Clearly the latter is a good thing because it automatically keeps students in their proximal zones and learning well.

I will say that I had to laugh a little when I read:

(2) if a student is stuck on a topic, he can still move to other strands and feel successful

I laughed because the former is the precise thing that drives my own top-down, mastery learner to distraction about the way that math (or anything else) is commonly taught in schools. She calls this the "ADD model of education."

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I will say that I had to laugh a little when I read:

I laughed because the former is the precise thing that drives my own top-down, mastery learner to distraction about the way that math (or anything else) is commonly taught in schools. She calls this the "ADD model of education."

My term is ADD Mathematics.

My middle child is stuck with this model right now. Math class goes like this: "Let's do some absolute values! Okay, we've done our five minutes of that. We're going to move on to solving inequalities. Don't get too comfortable, though --- it's almost time for practice at order of operations!"

It's painful.

As for the strands thing, my impression of the Common Core stuff (I now have a textbook written by Wu) is that the whole point of the CC is to tie it all together.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Val
    [quote=HowlerKarma]I will say that I had to laugh a little when I read:

[quote]

(2) if a student is stuck on a topic, he can still move to other strands and feel successful[/quote

My term is ADD Mathematics.

My middle child is stuck with this model right now. Math class goes like this: "Let's do some absolute values! Okay, we've done our five minutes of that. We're going to move on to solving inequalities. Don't get too comfortable, though --- it's almost time for practice at order of operations!"

It's painful.

Does anyone like it? I remember a workmate talking about her daughter's class standing up and doing some exercise or singing a song (5 year olds) every 10 mins or so and all I could think was "how annoying".

My children like EPGY and have learned from it. In recent EPGY sessions, my 3rd-grader, doing EPGY 5th grade math, has worked on

long division
    logic

IMO, this is what is wrong with US and UK 'modern' education.

5th grade? EPGY (which is supposed to be for gifted kids, right?) tell me you are joking.

Here is how it was when I was a kid in the UK back in the 70s:-

multiplication of numbers with several digits - 2td grade (on paper at first and then mentally)
    long division - 2rd grade (ditto)
    multiplying and dividing fractions -3th grade
    identifying lines of symmetry - 2nd grade
    logic - not sure that this refers to in this context
    getting information from bar graphs and pie graphs - so obvious I don't ever remember being 'told' how these worked

Become what you are
    C
    C
    My DH and I were have a discussion the other day about ADD Math. He is not a Math person. I liked Singapore for my DD8. We did 3 of those books, but he likes the nice clear boxes for instructions in Abeka. Since, we had an unused Abeka book for 5th, we are using it. I hate it. I refuse to make her do all the spiraling reviews, but the book covers so many different random topics and doesn't go into sufficient depth for many of them.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by madeinuk

long division
    logic

IMO, this is what is wrong with US and UK 'modern' education.

5th grade? EPGY (which is supposed to be for gifted kids, right?) tell me you are joking.

Here is how it was when I was a kid in the UK back in the 70s:-

multiplication of numbers with several digits - 2td grade (on paper at first and then mentally)
    long division - 2rd grade (ditto)
    multiplying and dividing fractions -3th grade
    identifying lines of symmetry - 2nd grade
    logic - not sure that this refers to in this context
    getting information from bar graphs and pie graphs - so obvious I don't ever remember being 'told' how these worked

Exactly! I just joined this forum in hopes of finding resources to help teach math to my child and I came across EPGY. I think I will have to continue looking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM