Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #173734 11/05/13 10:20 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Could somebody tell me what grade level these math skills are?

long division
    double digit multiplication
    perfect square roots
    measuring angles
    adding and subtracting fractions with common denominators

My 7 yo is doing 3rd grade math in her G&T class but chooses to do the above items independently. She says that her math lessons are still focusing on adding and subtracting (ie. 3 digits plus 3 digits but doing ballpark estimates because it's Everyday Math). She says she would much rather do division and multiplication.

ETA: the problem she is having in the 3rd grade math with EM are problems such as:

(Show 100 more)
    1,903 ______

She also will do double digit subtracting in her head but when asked to solve 85-4 she will use her fingers. So I don't think the teacher will be open to further differentiation.

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 11/05/13 10:37 AM.
    S
    S
    At our school, public in Research Triangle area of NC:

long division and dd multiplication would be 4th
    haven't really delved into square roots except briefly at the end of 4th, expect more in 5th
    measuring angles starting in 3rd
    fractions are all late 4th, early 5th as are decimals and percentages

Shannon L.

B
    B
    My DD is in third grade (curriculum is Math Expressions) and so far she has done a lot on place value. They very briefly touched on multiplication at the end of second grade, but so far this year I haven't seen it at all. They did multi-digit addition/subtraction once again, a little on fractions, and they just finished a unit on angles and geometric shapes (like what is a rhombus, what is a scalene triangle, etc). I assume (I hope) that multiplication is still coming up...who knows when they will get to double digit multiplication. My younger DS is currently doing Singapore Math level 3A (I am assuming this is meant for third graders), and it has multiplication like 92X8 and long division like 207/9. It also has stuff on money, like what is $62.30-$8.70. Book 3B has a lot on measurement, like converting and adding Km, meters, etc. and also has a lot on fractions including adding fractions. Different curriculums do things in different orders. I am hoping my DS is not going to be ahead of my DD by the end of the school year, because he is 2 grade levels lower! But they are currently both doing grade 3 math (DD is supposedly doing enriched math as well as the regular math--at a 5th grade level using a calculator--but I haven't seen it).

long division
    perfect square roots
    measuring angles

We've been past this stuff for a bit, but my recollection from 2006-2011 is that these skills are taught in spiraling fashion--

probably 3rd-7th grades, with the majority of the instruction coming as follows:

long division- 3rd-4th
    double digit multiplication--3rd, usually, and sometimes into 4th
    perfect square roots-- 4th into 5th and 6th
    measuring angles-- 4th through 6th
    adding and subtracting fractions with common denominators-- 4th and 5th, and FINDING common denominators for this purpose, through 7th.

HTH.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 11/05/13 10:41 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    U
    U
    I have DD in 4th who is working a year ahead in math (so she is doing 5th grade math for November right now). I forget what the math book is (I'm awful) but it is a common one. NOT Everyday Math.

long division--DD recently finished a unit on multi-digit long division with remainders, so 5th for the full skill (well, no decimals). They may have done single-digit w/ no remainders last year? I think so.
    double digit multiplication--did last year (in 3rd grade), so 4th. Maybe she did some in 3rd(really 2nd)? But I don't think double digit times double digit.
    perfect square roots--already covered this year, so 5th
    measuring angles--hmm; actually measuring? Not yet covered, but they did learn to ID acute, obtuse, right, and all that last year in 4th
    adding and subtracting fractions with common denominators--4th; they also covered adding and subtracting with different denominators in 4th, IIRC

Last edited by ultramarina; 11/05/13 10:56 AM.
    Q
    Q
    For all three of my chidlren, all the listed topics were covered in 3rd grade GT math, which is a compaction of 3rd and 4th grade math, and revisited at a higher level in 4th grade GT (5th) and 5th grade GT (6th) My oldest, who was in a pilot program a decade ago, which failed to not last beyond that year, first covered simple long division and double digit multiplication at the end of second grade.

It is important to note that based on our current spiraling method of math instruction delivery, the answer to your question is actually it depends on what you mean. For example, in my oldest DS' second grade class, "long division" was easy problems with remainder such as 287/9 whereas "long division" was more along the lines of 349.75/6.8 for 5th grade GT math.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 11/07/13 10:14 AM.
    ^ Exactly. This is why I gave a range, rather than a particular grade.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    P
    P
    I know in the seventies I did long division in standard 4 (this was the then equivalent of 5th grade. I remember clearly because it is what destroyed my love for maths. I didn't get it back for 10 years.

B
    B
    You can look at what topics are included in the math curriculum in each grade, or you can look at what kinds of problems students in various grades are able to answer correctly. NAEP results were released recently, and a few sample questions are at http://www.joannejacobs.com/2013/11/nations-report-card-scores-inch-up/ , and lots of sample questions are at the NAEP site http://www.joannejacobs.com/2013/11/nations-report-card-scores-inch-up/ . You can also Google phrases such as "california math tests" to get questions from NCLB-mandated state tests.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by mountainmom2011

long division
    as others stated--- depends. In 2nd they started with long division with remainders of less than 10 Ex: 85/7 or 501/5 This year, I imagine it will expand a bit-- with increasing in 4th and 5th to decimals & longer problems

Started two by two digit in 2nd with numbers ending in 0 I know in 3rd they will expand to varying two digit combinations with three digits ending in 0
    perfect square roots

dont know. I do know they touched on it a bit last year (2nd) as 'double multiplication' with a brief use of term square root. In 4th they expand on it a lot.

measuring angles

Again, they used protractors to measure 30,60,90 degree angles in 2nd grade. Right angle term. This year it is likely to be expanded on. In 4th they measure to closest degree and use a full range of geometric terms

My 7 yo is doing 3rd grade math in her G&T class but chooses to do the above items independently. She says that her math lessons are still focusing on adding and subtracting (ie. 3 digits plus 3 digits but doing ballpark estimates because it's Everyday Math). She says she would much rather do division and multiplication.

ETA: the problem she is having in the 3rd grade math with EM are problems such as:

(Show 100 more)
    1,903 ______

She also will do double digit subtracting in her head but when asked to solve 85-4 she will use her fingers. So I don't think the teacher will be open to further differentiation.

I have two 8 yr olds in 3rd. They were doing 3 digit by 3 digit -/+ and looking ahead in the book, they will be reviewing area/perimeter next (covered last year), and going back to 2x2 digit multiplication with varying numbers.

Last edited by KCMI; 11/10/13 07:36 PM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years