Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    LOL - here's a suggestion that needs a side of salt. Just ask for twice as much as you want. I know a IRL family that it worked for. So when you make your argument for him in 3rd grade Math - that is, he is already learning it at home, so he must be capable to learning the material, they can pat you on the head and put him in 2nd Grade Math. Then you try for an agreement to have in retested at the end of year so he can go with 4th Grade Math in September and concede.

Best Wishes and I agree - go with your gut.

Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    LOL! I think I used this strategy when I bought my last car, but in reverse! Definitely a point well taken, even with the salt!

It seems to be an unwritten rule of negotiation. I've found it worked well in the work world.
    Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    I got a letter today from the principal. I'm very glad that I sent the letter and info ahead of time. He has responded with a letter that will allow us to cut to the chase at the meeting tomorrow.

Paraphrased, the letter states:
    Thank you for all the information you have shared with me over the last two days. We have already provided the following accomodations for your son - followed by a list of already being accelerated, getting enrichment activities in math (which are supposedly a challenge), been assessed with end of the year assessments which indicate "holes" in his math ability and that he is receiving social work services "as requested by his parents" (the principal initiated this, not us) and that he is at times showing a lack of maturity as this is his first year of formal schooling.

Then he goes on to state what they plan on doing:
    he will continue to do the group instruction and "individualized enrichment"..."will offer challenge to him but not push him too quickly through curriculum so as to create an larger holes in his achievement." Bah. He doesn't have holes - he has a couple of things he hasn't been exposed to. And those are things not expected until May of this school year, if the teacher gets that far in the program! And things that DS could learn in about 10 minutes!

He also says the staff will "shorten his more rote-like assignments when deemed appropriate.....provided he has demonstrated concept mastery at an acceptable level to the staff." And he will continue to receive social work services and we'll meet at the end of the school year to "determine what will be the best educational placement for next year." what the heck does that mean? Like he might not go into second grade or what?! I'm sure he doesn't mean that they will skip him to third grade math for next year.

Ugh. and ugh again. I'm frustrated and trying to stay calm. Trying to just breathe and collect my supportive documentation so I can counter everything. And just about ready to say forget it, he's staying home.

Then DS comes home and I try to talk to him about it. and he says he's fine and he can stay in the class. But then he refuses to do the homework saying it is too easy! When pressed, he says that he wants "other kids" to go to second grade too. So I think he is starting to feel singled out. and the school staff just doesn't get it. He's also bringing home more marks on his behavior card. Having a hard time following rules and keeping quiet, hands to himself, etc. he's just bored.

Say prayers. For me and the principal. He'll need them!
    I'll likely start a new thread tomorrow after the meeting to let you know what happens. Thanks for the safe spot to vent.

G
    G
    Saying prayers already, Debbie.

At least now you know what to expect, going into the meeting, and can prepare mentally/emotionally.

I think your DS's behavior says a lot about him not being challenged appropriately. Unfortunately, they can also use that against you and say "see, he's not mature enough to handle higher level work..." (sigh).

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Keep up the good fight!

GG

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs