Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by somewhereonearth
    Sorry to be so negative on this topic. I used to tell my husband that I went through a mourning period when I realized that the public school system that I had loved as a child was actually dead and had no hope of being resurrected.

What makes me particularly frustrated and upset is my son's nosedive with regard to his attitude to school and the adults in it. He went on a 15 minute diatribe the other day after I asked him if he wanted to learn about something. He screamed at me, "I don't want to LEARN about anything. Learning is the worst thing in the world and I hope that nobody on the planet ever has to learn anything ever. Learning is so horrible!"

I started to laugh. I thought that he was kidding because all DS loves to do is learn. Then I asked him what learning means. He said, "learning is what you do in school when you have to sit there all day and learn things that you already know. Learning is sitting and being bored and listening to grown ups talk about the most boring things and then they ignore you all day." His school environment is not allowing him to learn. And as administrators and teachers have told me many times, they are focused on the "high" Common Core standards and making sure that everyone passes the test. The teachers have no choice but to follow their CC aligned curriculum, the administrators have no choice but to enforce the teachers' following it. Everyone is focused on the test scores and bringing the bottom up. Any teacher with the means and the brains have left, by and large. So my son, and many other children who are merely above average are being held hostage in this nutty environment.
    Wow! So sad that your little child is so frustrated by his learning environment. I mourn the loss of a good education system along with you. I have seen the idiotic common core frenzy around here too. And the "training" going on to shore up test scores and the pointless parent workshops and "community education booths" the school districts run in all the local Fall festivals to teach the masses about common core standards.
    It looks like it is a multi-year implementation program in California. I hope it is not the case in your area.
    Good luck to your child and I hope he can get better learning afterschool than from school.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by KADmom
    I think as a whole, it's not feasible to expect it to serve every child efficiently and effectively... One thing I would love to see is administrators allowing teachers to teach, less trying to teach to 24 levels in a class of 24, and less lowering of expectations.

It is possible that cluster grouping by readiness and ability, rather than chronological age, would help facilitate learning... benefitting both the students and teachers?

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Mamabear
    Where we are, public or private, the schools do not have any services for 2E... if a child has (ex.) sensory processing issues, but has advanced comprehension, they are out of luck until either comprehension drops to meet the SPD or the SPD goes away. We were told that our DD is SO smart that when she decides not to be dysgraphic, she will indeed not be dysgraphic! It is SO archaic here.
    I am so sorry to hear this. Might it be possible to share an electronic or print copy of the research article in the thread called "New research article on 2e gifted students", with the local school or news media, to raise awareness? (link- http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....search_article_on_2e_gif.html#Post172507)

I
    I
    Originally Posted by somewhereonearth
    ... background... attended public schools... worked almost 10 years in public schools, about 7 years in private schools (I have worked part time with one foot in each system)... issues as a former employee... Now, from my parental viewpoint...
    and
    Originally Posted by ashley
    ... how the PS system is designed and works... they groom people for all kinds of futures because society needs the blue collar worker, the janitor, the burger flipper, the garbage man etc (several thousands of these) in addition to rock star CEOs, Presidents and scientists who win Nobels (we need very few of these). After pondering a lot on this, my theory is that the outliers are expected to help themselves using their innate talents and the system grooms people who are below average, average and above average to move on and fit into society's hierarchy. When you see the system working, you can get the feel that they educate the majority of kids to be mediocre (which is what the society wants) and the effort being put into the education is also mediocre.
    You see what I see.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    When I tutored in a school last year, I researched things like crazy... One kid reported double vision when he was reading and had some major tracking issues, so I researched it, and figured out his reading speed almost doubled if a blue or yellow overlay was stuck on top of the reading passage. I even recorded his reading speed with and without the overlay and reported my findings to the teacher, and she barely seemed interested. Another girl I had (a 9 year old) had many symptoms of dyslexia and also could not walk down steps alternating feet or do basic things in Phy Ed. I kept bringing this up with hints that she should be evaluated or someone should talk to her mother, and mentioned that she has many symptoms of Developmental Coordination Disorder like my DS, except she was worse (and I even printed a thing out and gave it to her teacher). I got blank stares or shrugs from people. No one was concerned or inquisitive about what this girl's problem could be. I had another third grade girl who didn't know basic vocabularly words like "branch" (as in the branch of a tree). After I nagged them for months and said how concerned I was, in Spring they finally agreed to do an eval in the fall (hopefully they are doing it now!). There were numerous other examples like that. And now I'm seeing the same thing in my kids' school. The teachers... don't seem to take much initiative to do anything to get them special help or figure out what is getting in the way of their learning.
    The world would be a better place with more people like you! How to get people excited about the differences one person can make, in touching others' lives?

U
    U
    I completely agree with the earlier comments about getting rid of the current system.

We live in what should be a great school district. It has the highest percentage of parents with doctorates (mostly MDs and PhDs in our case, but JDs also count in the census data) in the country. And precisely because they do see some very bright kids, they have very rigid rules for keeping them in line. To the point of prohibiting kids from checking above-grade-level books out of the library.

Parents with average kids seem happy. Many parents with above average kids are not, but are afraid to criticize anything less there be reprisals. There are some teachers that are worse than others, and you never see the most connected parents (i.e., school board members, PTA officers) end up with their kids in those classes.

The one merit of NCLB is that it is shutting down unionized schools and replacing them with either something better, at least on average. The problem is that the shutdown criteria don't adjust for inputs, and so are too easy for schools with good raw material, so for those of us in moderate-to-good neighborhoods, all we see is the wasteful effort that goes into gaming the tests. But NCLB, for all its flaws, is making a difference in inner cities.

It's a pity centrists gave up on vouchers. They would speed up reform dramatically. So would eliminating lotteries at charter schools. If markets were allowed to work, they could get us a lot closer to a solution.

Originally Posted by blackcat
    I think the requirements to be a teacher should be much higher. Everyone should have a Master's Degree and in depth training in gifted and special needs (esp. now that so many children are mainstreamed).

This would just trigger a watering-down of Master's programs. The demand is too great for supply... especially when the financial reward is so far below what Master's holders can earn in other fields.

Originally Posted by uppervalley
    It's a pity centrists gave up on vouchers. They would speed up reform dramatically. So would eliminating lotteries at charter schools. If markets were allowed to work, they could get us a lot closer to a solution.

The market is in control at the university level, and that's not going well.

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by Dude
    The demand is too great for supply... especially when the financial reward is so far below what Master's holders can earn in other fields.

Like literature, theatre, and history?

D
    D
    Originally Posted by uppervalley
    But NCLB, for all its flaws, is making a difference in inner cities.

I doubt this. Here, most of our inner-city charter schools are doing even less than babysitting-- some were just shut down because they weren't even providing lunch regularly. Far less can they actually educate anyone. It looks remarkably like a wild-west scenario, with poorly regulated schools siphoning off money and then leaving the students poorly served.

I agree, DeeDee, and truly-- I wanted to like the model for vouchers/charter schools. I really, really, REALLY did.

I just don't believe that the majority of charters are anything more than for-profit money-making schemes at this point. frown

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM