Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    mmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi everyone ,
    I 'am a mother of a 5 year As a baby , he reached all his physical milestones (walking, talking) all at normal times (nothing extraordinary). He has always held a fascination for numbers .He is 5 now and he adds, subtracts , does basic multiplication and division . .His pre school teacher says he reads atleast one grade level above (English is his second language) and does math atleast at 2nd grade level. Should we even bother getting him tested and then try to figure a school environment that would suit his social and academic needs? If so , where do we start ? Thanks for all your help!!

I
    I
    Hello and welcome.
    Originally Posted by mmom
    ...where do we start ?...
    You may wish to begin with research. You found this forum, so you are well on your way...

Lots of great info on the Davidson Database (link- http://www.davidsongifted.org) including articles on identification such as Profiles of the gifted and talented (link- http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10114.aspx)

Hoagies Gifted Education Page has great info including tests and test results (link- http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/highly_profoundly.htm)

Kids may often do best when given a challenge worthy of their potential and a cluster group of kids with similar readiness and ability.

Here's a facebook page that may be of interest https://www.facebook.com/GiftedSupportCenter

M
    mmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks so much! This is all really new and I 'am happy I found this forum! It is so helpful.

R
    R
    Getting him tested is a good idea. You may be able to try for the Davidson Young Scholar program with a great support network after that. Otherwise too, it is better to know what you have in hand and have some professional advice. I just came across a blog today which is by someone like us. He has started this few days back and in the blog of his daily schedule, he is providing good content on the struggle, schedule, syllabus, etc. Just thought of sharing.So you really don't need to know where to start. There are lot of avenues and let the child lead :-)
    http://gradeless.blogspot.com/2013/10/8-3-2013-friday.html

M
    mmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks Ray .We have decided to get him tested in the next few months precisely for the reasons you have stated (Could try for Davidson Young Scholar or otherwise to understand what we need to do ). I have to remind myself of the beautiful thing you said "Let the Child lead".

C
    C
    @mmom- if your child is in preschool now, I would wait until Kindergarten.. if your child goes to public school they should have a Gifted program.. they will do the tests to see if he qualifies as Gifted- in my son's school they give IQ tests. They did warn me though before he took the test that Kindergartners don't have the life experiences required to score high on an IQ test, so if he didn't score high to get into the gifted program they would retest him again in 1st grade, but he scored high enough- just warning you in case your child doesn't score very high the first time he they are required to take an IQ test

P
    P
    IQ tests are normed by age so unless your child has been kept in a cupboard he should have no less life experience than any other kid his age and will be scored on a curve based on other kids that age - someone has to be at the top end.

On the other hand some of the screening tests they use are based in quite random knowledge from what I've heard so maybe that us what the teacher was referring to. I have read heaps of threads and it seems relatively uncommon for the school to test in K unless there is a problem or they have a gifted programme starting in 1st. Programmes starting in 3rd or not existing seem to be more common though.

Your son sounds adorable, mmmom. His carrying around a couple of numbers in his pocket resonated with me so much. Our DS' thing was letters, not numbers, though. He had to have at least one in his hand whenever we went to the store. He went through three sets of those foam letter/number sets in two years. He cut his teeth, literally, on the first set. smile

I recall reading someplace that a child who is advanced in math like your son is likely to be at least highly gifted. Something about math requiring a higher level of understanding that does reading. (?) I'm sure someone here knows of what I'm referring.

Making a quick Google, are you near enough to GATE Academy to talk with them?

H
    H
    We first tested at age 4 and learned very much about our child. It helped us consider what type of learning environment he needed and decide if it was worth the tuition to send him to a Gifted Private School. If testing could change some of your decisions or if you have concerns, then you would probably find it helpful. Many districts are not likely to provide IQ testing without compelling reasons to do so. If there is something you hope to gain or a question you need an answer to now, I would seek private testing.

M
    M
    Happily mom - would you mind noting what test you used with your child at 4? We are in the process of considering an evaluation for our child for the same reason. Since they're so young, I do wonder how helpful the results could/will be. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM