Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #171395 10/15/13 06:38 PM
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    I picked DD up a Brain Quest workbook today for fun. They have really good reviews but I'm curious to know what this community thinks of the workbooks? Are they easy for the grade listed?

S
    S
    My son didn't like the third grade one this summer... Too easy... He was supposed to go into third this year but we skipped him into fourth. We got the book for free from a relative.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    My DD8 seeks them. We skipped her into 4th grade this year, and she works on the 4th grade workbook at times for amusement.

DW also picked up a trivia game with the same brand. DD has been handing me one of the card decks and asking to quiz each other most nights this week. She quit playing Minecraft with me early so we could do it last night.

I can't certify how the difficulty of the workbook rates for DD, but I can say there's a a good mix of easy and difficult (or at least, unknown) questions for her in the trivia deck.

I have these, but we don't find too much time for them. We keep DS' workbooks in the car, mostly.

When he was five, he went over to his cousin's house for a few hours on a Saturday. The cousins were 11 and 15. They had an old Brain Quest Questions and Answers cube for third grade and were playing with him together on it.

You should have seen his aunt's face when we went to pick him up....

Priceless.

(As a woman of few words, she actually put together a few paragraphs for me. LoL)

J
    OP Offline
    J
    The workbooks seem great and have great reviews. So far you all seem to have good things to say as well. I picked DD up the 1st grade one (she is currently in 1st) because I am not sure where she is. In 2 hours she completed the first 3 subjects. I'm thinking it is too easy for her which confirms my assumption that she is beyond the 1st grade. She is enjoying it so I'm going to leave it be and let her complete the rest of the book. Maybe I'll see some strengths and weaknesses while she goes through it.

U
    U
    We have only used the flip decks of questions. My kids have usually used the ones 2-3 grades ahead, though they sometimes run into ones they have to skip (usually math or history). We like them in the car. These are nice for younger kids who can't write well yet, or even those who can't read yet. I never bought the really young ones, though (K and under).

G
    G
    The American History flip deck is nice. Not only does it include major historical events, but there's also some good culture questions.

I quote: "His most famous composition is 'Rhapsody in Blue.' Name him."

My fifth-grade brother particularly enjoys this deck, but we also have the fourth-grade deck and the board game.

G
    G
    I agree with Dude and Ultramarina. We like the card decks. They are great for the car. We just got the US History decks and it is a little too hard for DD, but that's ok...she likes just reading them, or quizzing me:-)

G
    GHS Offline
    G
    I find the flip deck (for the very younger years) 3 years behind. Possibly even 4 years. Not sure about the workbook. The flip deck that DD (almost 4) enjoyed this fall was the 1st grade one. 1/2 of the questions way too easy, 1/2 challenging so perfect!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations