Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    mom123 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi - With each kid a new challenge... I have one PGDD8 in a private gifted school which is working out just great. I have one "normal/bright" dd6 in public. Now trying to figure out what to do with my HG(mom's best guess on ability)dd4. I think public K would be a disaster... so I feel like my options right now are to send her to the gifted private school with dd8 or grade skip her and start her in first in public. She is a February birthday - so I feel like grade skipping is not such a huge deal (the cut off here is January)... not sure if the school will go for it though. I have heard of some measure or test to determine if your kid is a good candidate for a skip... is this something I can access and do? or to I need to bring her for formal testing.. I really, really don't want to spend money on testing... Would also be excellent if I could make public work and not have to pay for a second private school tuition.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by mom123
    I have heard of some measure or test to determine if your kid is a good candidate for a skip... is this something I can access and do?

The Iowa Acceleration Scale. Found online several places... here's one link -
    http://www.greatpotentialpress.com/iowa-acceleration-scale-3rd-edition-complete-kit

H
    H
    I think the measure you are referring to is the Iowa Scale of Acceleration. There have been several editions and used copies are available online. It's a book you can read and use data you have to evaluate the grade skip option.

mom123 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Perfect. $179 is steep, but thank you inter library loan! I'm sure I'll post back as I agonize over this decision : )

Last edited by mom123; 10/16/13 06:00 PM. Reason: Silly autocorrect!
    A
    A
    Our school district has an Early Access program that allows 5 yr olds to start in 1st grade -- have you checked your school district? That is how my DD Jan b-day skipped K. In our case, that program started just the year before I utilized it, so things could've changed since your DD8 started formalized schooling.

It isn't so much a "program," as it is an evaluation to see if your child would be a good fit for the next grade level. I had to submit a portfolio of her work (just drawings, a photo of something she'd built, things like that), an evaluation from her preschool teacher, and she had to go do a short screening test. Kids that passed all that initial stuff went on to a 2 hour long more thorough evaluation. She was the only one who was admitted early access to 1st grade in our school district.

It's more like 50bux at amazon if your are a prime customer grin and you can make your own forms easily - trust me. laugh

Last edited by madeinuk; 10/16/13 06:37 PM.

Become what you are

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM