Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (figaloprepod), 137 guests, and 38 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    seablue Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DD6.5 looks ADHD but our UCLA pediatrician said, no, she's clearly gifted. We're testing for both. She is wiggly with great attention and memory.

Any advice for us, as we enter into a conversation with the school psychologist?
    I just want to go into this meeting prepared. My goal is to have OT services this year for sensory integration issues, with gifted placement for next year if she's gifted.

Is it absolutely necessary to bite the bullet and make sure we get private testing done first, and not rely on the school district's testing? I can see DD drawing butterflies and exploring the wads of gum on the underside of a chair during the testing... We can get private testing done with David Palmer, PhD out of Laguna Beach, who seems to be able to sort out hyperactivity from giftedness.

Any advice is appreciated!

B
    B
    If you can afford it (or your insurance plan covers it) I would definitely go for private testing before getting the school system involved. Then you can take the results and either choose to share them or not share them. Also, school districts (many of them at least) really do NOT want to find disabilities or disorders in kids if it means they will have to provide services or accommodations.

P
    P
    If you can afford it get it done yourself. The school can doit again if they like.

seablue Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for your replies. The private testing we did was for sensory integration. We are going through our insurance for the medical diagnosis of ADHD (or to rule it out). The private testing would be for giftedness. DD may not test well, due to her sensory seeking behaviors... she may sit under the desk and hunt for wads of gum, for example.

An ADHD diagnosis would have to come from our MD, not the school. The giftedness has to be tested by the district - they don't accept outside testing. However, the district will read private testing results, and perhaps be influenced by them.

M
    M
    Maybe you could get testing done with someone who specializes in gifted and 2e. He/ she may be more able to read/ understand your dc. Also, in my experience, the tester has also offered lots of advice and resources.

We did private testing, because we needed answers about ds, and the school thought everything is fine. One of the things the testing did for me (and dh) is we know we're not crazy. He is. Our school district will use outside testing as "supportive" data. We'll see.

Yet, the outside testing (which we paid $2k+) was well spent based on what we learned about ds and the best ways to support him. Also, I feel like the tester is an amazing resource!

Good luck! Keep us posted.

B
    B
    I guess it depends on what test the school would use and whether you think it would be an accurate test given the situation. Our district gives everyone the CogAt which is a timed ability test (at least the versions for kids who are 7 or 8 and above) and it's terrible for kids with attention or speed issues. If the school district would do the same test as you would get independently, I would personally probably let the school district do it because I am cheap and appalled at how much it costs to get it done privately. Keep in mind though that if the results don't turn out the way you want, the school has it in her records whereas if you get it done privately you never have to share it unless you want to.

Last edited by blackcat; 10/15/13 08:05 PM.
    H
    H
    IMO Private testing is invaluable. Especially if ADHD is a concern. We have a very 2e kid who has ADHD (he is very sensory seeking as well), Dyspraxia w/ hypotonia, + some and I would always choose to do private testing whenever you can manage it.

Private testers work for YOU and can get info you need, explain results well that they get, and sometimes advocate specifically for things your child needs to be able to work to her potential at school. Your best/most accurate and therefore most helpful information will come from someone who is experienced with children like yours. Mine would never have finished the WISC without a very experienced tester with extensive experience with 2e children.

One thing you may not know is that if she takes a test like WISC, she cannot be retested for one year with that test. The question usually boils down to "why do you want to test at this time/what do you hope to learn?"...... Your answer to that will hopefully steer you in the best direction for where to test at this time. If it's not the best choice, in a year or two you can try again with a different approach.

Hope you have answers and a responsive and helpful result from school soon. smile

C
    C
    We tested privately and DS spent almost a whole session under the table if it's any consolation. I was not impressed with his behaviour but the tester wasn't phased at all and got down on the floor and did the testing from there. They were able to get through all of that and we got results that have made a huge difference for him. Good luck!

seablue Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you, this is invaluable to me. HappilyMom, I didn't know about the WISC testing having a one per year limit. chay, that under-the-table story makes me feel better smile Melessa, we definitely want to know if DD is 2e. Her impulsivity is a problem. Blackcat, we are cheap, too. We'd like to keep DD in the public school system, so testing her at this time gives us information we need for placing her in a school program next year, via lottery. If she is MG we go one direction, if she is HG we go another direction.

Testing through UCLA is $2000-$7000. Testing with Dr. Palmer starts at $600 smile

O
    O
    seablue,

We did testing with Dr. Palmer, too, as have several children of my acquaintances. From what I understand, he is quite familiar and comfortable with 2E situations. I think you will be pleased. My DS loved his time with him.

Good luck and best wishes!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM