Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    mykids Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    An Educational Psychologist who specializes in 2e tested my child at 6.3 and results came back EG and no 2e issues. Fast forward 1.5 years and a new teacher and eye doctor are suggesting dyslexia. Is this something that could have been missed or not evident at 6.3, but now is at almost 8?

P
    P
    I thought when I read the post title that maybe he had reached a point where he couldn't compensate but the first assessor sounded much more expert than your doctor or teacher. Is it possible to contact the person who did the assessment? Also why did you have the assessment done in the first place - did you have concerns about reading.

Z
    Z
    Almost as if your kid always had it, but it was operating in stealth mode until now?

In fact someone coined the phrase "stealth dyslexia" to capture that very thought.

Here's a quote from http://jimforgan.com/stealth-dyslexia-undetected-reading-problems/

"Stealth dyslexia is form of hidden dyslexia. These highly intelligent and often gifted children compensate for their dyslexia because they learn to rely upon their outstanding memory, keen intuition, and general smarts to work around their reading weaknesses. Stealth dyslexia often goes undetected until the child is in fourth grade or older and then starts to struggle with reading longer and unfamiliar words that are specific to science, health, and social studies."

It's popped up a quite a few times here, too. Having the term "stealth dyslexia" you may be able to uncover a lot more.

P
    P
    FWIW my dysgraphic ds went through ability/achievement testing at 5 for a gifted program, and there were no issues found re 2e - but 3 years later in 2nd grade h was literally drowning at school due to severe 2e issues. When we looked back at the previous tests, the discrepancies in test scores that are indicative of his challenge were already there, but because we hadn't seen any reason to think there was an issue, the psych wasn't looking for it and she only saw a very bright high-overall-IQ kid. I'm guessing you were already looking for 2e issues when your ds was tested at 6 (just a guess based on what you wrote in the post above) - even if you were and they didn't jump up screaming from the test results, my guess is indications were already there, but the challenges in academics etc at the time hadn't increased to the point your ds had trouble keeping up.

My dd9 has a dyslexia diagnosis - it's not classic dyslexia, but it's also not really "stealth dyslexia". FWIW, she appeared to be way ahead in early reading, was at the top of her class in K/1, then dropped back to just a bit higher than average in 2nd, and continued to fall behind until the books she was reading were complex enough she could gather meaning from context - then she was reading back at grade level and/or above - but again, as time went by, she started slipping relative to peers again, as well as having difficulty reading instructions (short-sentences etc). She's a kid who does *not* want anyone to know something is difficult for her, and her HG-abilities make it difficult to realize she's having a tough time reading.

I'm curious about your eye dr suggesting dyslexia - is this a regular eye dr or a developmental optometrist? Are they suggesting vision issues such as tracking etc or are they suggesting dyslexia? Vision challenges are often present in dyslexic people, but an eye dr wouldn't suggest dyslexia (I don't think) unless maybe you had asked about possible tracking/convergence etc and the dr didn't see it and suggested reading issues were dyslexia related, not vision related?

polarbear

M
    mykids Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you all. In response...yes I specifically went to this person for 2e testing as I suspected dyslexia. She is pretty confident that it is not. I have a lot of respect for her and she has a stellar reputation so I have little reason to doubt her. That said, the struggle continues and seems to be getting worse. I have seen the term "stealth dyslexia" a number of places. Based on your experiences, should I trust the tester or retest? If retest, what age?

Polarbear...as for the eye dr...he is an optometrist but specializes in tracking and convergence issues so I went to him based on some "new" symptoms that have appeared since the beginning of the school ear--watery eyes when reading, eye exhaustion at the end of the school, complaints that the words are blurry etc. So yes, he suggested it based on the lack of any vision problems.

G
    G
    I can come up with two ways:
    The first is that the testing done at age 6 often doesn't test some of the higher level phonological processing, so it only crops up at an older age when the normed expectations are higher. A highly gifted child can brute force some of the lower level skills with a strong memory and above-level reading skills. Stealth dyslexia would fall in here.
    The second, and what I suspect was the case for my DD, a child well above level not instructed at that level fails to develop the encoding/decoding skills. In DD's case, her reading instruction was all focused on decoding well within her automatic reading level, which meant she learned little of the higher phonological skills, and she forgot the early skills, reading entirely through sight recognition.

DD was diagnosed at 9, and now at 11 is about to get herself undiagnosed after remediation.

Last edited by geofizz; 10/15/13 09:13 PM.
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    I suggest also posting this question on the Dyslexic Advantage forum.

http://dyslexicadvantage.com

I
    I
    Originally Posted by geofizz
    DD was diagnosed at 9, and now at 11 is about to get herself undiagnosed after remediation.

That's wonderful. May I ask what rememdiation you did?

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by mykids
    as for the eye dr...he is an optometrist but specializes in tracking and convergence issues so I went to him based on some "new" symptoms that have appeared since the beginning of the school ear--watery eyes when reading, eye exhaustion at the end of the school, complaints that the words are blurry etc. So yes, he suggested it based on the lack of any vision problems.

I guess I'm confused. Aren't these (the bolded) vision (or at least *eye*) problems?

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Kai
    Originally Posted by mykids
    as for the eye dr...he is an optometrist but specializes in tracking and convergence issues so I went to him based on some "new" symptoms that have appeared since the beginning of the school ear--watery eyes when reading, eye exhaustion at the end of the school, complaints that the words are blurry etc. So yes, he suggested it based on the lack of any vision problems.

I guess I'm confused. Aren't these (the bolded) vision (or at least *eye*) problems?

Yes, me too ... these are the exact symptoms of my son's convergence inssuficiency!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM