Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 356 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by paa
    The question: there are 43 cups of juice to be divided among guests , each having 3 cups. How many guests can you serve? DD wrote as follows: "I will serve 15 guests. The last person will get only 1 cup but a least he will get something and be happy !!" (then she drew a smiley face next to it smile
    Wow, a mathematician and a philanthropist! IMO this child clearly knew remainders and may also have been exhibiting the gifted characteristic described in this link to a SENG article:
    http://www.sengifted.org/archives/articles/identity-development-in-gifted-children-moral-sensitivity
    "Starting from an early age, many gifted children show evidence of moral sensitivity. These children tend to care about others, want to relieve pain and suffering or show advanced ability to think about such abstract ideas as justice and fairness. "

Some may wish to print this article and highlight key points for possible future discussions with teachers following experiences which may bring these characteristics to the forefront, raising awareness of the need for understanding, acceptance, and affirmation of these positive traits.

P
    P
    Well really they should have asked how many full servings will there be and is there any left fro the host or something. You might want to explain the "simplest solution is most likely correct" criteria but it does seem silly as she clearly understands.

A point on majority culture - in some schools it is how many generations have attended, in some wealth, in some race, in some religion. There always is a majority culture and an outsider needs to get an in somehow.

Also if a school is government funded (as in the example another poster listed) then a reasonable person would accept a trasparent system with the tours/open days publically advertised and held and therefore may not think to ring up to book a tour a year in advance - this doesn't mean they don't care, just they don't have a contact in "the know".

I
    I
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Indigo, with respect, your attitude of "Why don't you just...it's very easy to...one could simply...you should...it is done as follows..."
    The words in quotations which you attributed to me, without context provided, where are they sourced from?
    Is this possibly a case of what was said differs from what was heard?

... comes off comes off as rather tone deaf to the needs of parents with a diversity of abilities, experiences, and capacities who are coping with the reality of this lived experience.
    The intent is to show possible paths through the acknowledged difficulties, also based on years of experience.

We should not expect every parent to have the ability to come in and work the system to max capacity
    To some ears, "working the system" may sound like "gaming the system", not like "knowing how the system works". That said, I've agreed that many parents are struggling to learn how the system works and suggested that there is strength in numbers, bonding with local parents may help learn their local system.

(and on the side, it seems they ought to phone up every person in charge and effect changes immediately if there is a problem).
    Is this possibly a case of what was said differs from what was heard?

The system itself ought to be a doing a better job than that.
    Agreed! I have posted elsewhere about this... 50 years of gifted ed and not much has improved regarding the actual experiences of gifted pupils and their families, who are finding the same ruts in the road. That having been said, we are a government of the people, by the people and for the people, and as such we the people are empowered to make changes in how our government schools can best serve our population, within the constraints of time, budget, space, etc.

I don't know if the OP is encountering bias or not. Quite possibly not--

Politics was the word used by the OP, bias was a word introduced by another poster in the midst of a very thoughtful response and actually in regard to their own district. It is a word which can be polarizing, akin to allegations and accusations, even when intended to invoke our highest selves and serve as a reminder to be open-minded and consider every view.

... it does seem to be the case that parents with less "know-how," which may include those who have immigrated and are speaking a second language, may be at a disadvantage in the school system.

Agreed. I believe I posted a similar sentiment.

... Should we pretend that this never happens? That would be disingenuous at best.
    Personally I prefer to show possible paths through the acknowledged difficulties.

... Should we then blame the parents if they struggle with this disadvantage? Seems unfair to me.
    Personally I prefer to show possible paths through the acknowledged difficulties.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by puffin
    Well really they should have asked how many full servings will there be and is there any left fro the host or something.
    Agreed! This would really be a great way to present that word problem. It would also appeal to the humanitarian side of children with that characteristic.

A point on majority culture - in some schools it is how many generations have attended, in some wealth, in some race, in some religion. There always is a majority culture and an outsider needs to get an in somehow.
    Hopefully the culture is fluid and welcoming and open minded, treating all human beings with impartiality.

Also if a school is government funded (as in the example another poster listed) then a reasonable person would accept a trasparent system with the tours/open days publically advertised and held and therefore may not think to ring up to book a tour a year in advance - this doesn't mean they don't care, just they don't have a contact in "the know".
    Agreed. I believe that in reply to the person who stated that parents needed to be "highly motivated" or have contacts, I earlier posted that if transparency was an issue possibly they could advocate for the selection criteria information (including the booking of school tours by the cutoff date) to be made known, such as on the school website.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM