Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Instoyque, Gourab, Jwack, journeyfarther, Clare
    11,505 Registered Users
    September
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #17107 05/30/08 09:53 AM
    S
    shiloh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi all,

I'm completely new here but have lurked a bit for the last six months.

Recently I've concluded that my 8 yr old D is likely gifted. At the very least she's probably precocious.

Math at school is too repetitve and uninteresting (Saxon) and we'd like to hop ahead this summer.

I would like suggestions for a program or curriculum that isn't Saxon but would work well for a home-ed situation.

I say third grade because I've not done this before so I don't know where to start.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by shiloh; 05/30/08 09:54 AM.
    I'd try going to singaporemath.com and having your DD do the placement tests and see where she places. Singapore math is a good one for doing afterschool, teaches good conceptual understanding. There are homeschool teachers books which help you to understand the Singapore way of doing math which may be different from the way you learned.

I also love RightStart but it's not as easy to compact and just jump around as SM is but it gives the same conceptual understanding but with more handholding for the teacher.

The two cheapy ones that are generally preferred are Aleks (online) and Singapore (workbooks). Both are highly affordable and generally well-liked. I think Aleks even has a free trial month.

We used Singapore and liked it to a point. The reason we left it was because DS7 was tired of arithmetic and not yet ready to memorize times tables. I think we'll come back eventually, at least to help supplement the more problem-solving/less arithmetical approach that I hope to take with him next year.

BTW, if you go with Singapore, I recommend the Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems workbooks. They're much more interesting and thought-provoking. You can probably skip the regular workbook unless you just want to hand the book to the child and let her teach herself.

If I had to pick only one workbook, I'd choose the IP one, since it has word problems in it as well as other kinds of problems.

I really liked the Home Educator's Manual, too. It was good at giving me ideas for games and ways to teach things that I wouldn't have considered. I highly recommend it, again assuming that you don't want the child to self-teach.

There are other good programs out there, but Aleks and Singapore are two I'd recommend looking at to start. And if you try one and hate it, at least you're not out much money.

Kriston
    This sounds bad, but I like Aleks because I don't have to teach her. She's self sufficient by the way the program works.
    We have not tried Singapore, but I've only heard great things.

M
    M
    If she likes a more visual approach you may also want to check out

http://www.larsonmath.com/

they also have a free trial.

When dd9 was younger she loved it, she is now doing Aleks.

I just looked at larsonmath but when I called them, they said they no longer sell individual subscriptions. They only serve classes of 100 or more.

Singapore and Primary Grade Challenge Math.

LMom

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Weird results for 2nd Grade Gifted Test
    by aeh - 09/16/24 02:00 PM
    Please help me understand child results
    by aeh - 09/15/24 07:28 PM
    How critical is school selection?
    by aeh - 09/15/24 06:50 PM
    A Progressive Assault on Selective High Schools
    by Dakota Pilcher - 09/10/24 01:08 AM