Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 289 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #171054 10/12/13 07:49 AM
    M
    moomin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    gone

Last edited by moomin; 08/09/14 09:43 AM. Reason: gone
    C
    C
    Woah, that sounds like a full schedule for a 5yo - not surprising she's melting down! Is there a reason you couldn't cut back to say one playdate a week, say on the one day she doesn't have something later on?

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    "Teachers have a really terrible job. They have to tell students that they're doing things wrong all day long."

I would praise her for this insightful observation and the discuss the positive reinforcement techniques that the teacher uses. My daughter found it so interesting to learn about the negative reinforcement techniques that were used 'back in the day', and it helped her learn to appreciate her teachers.
    On the other hand DD herself reflects daily on all of those occasions that she has been caught transgressing any classroom rules,

I would also praise her for reflecting back on her behavior each day.

"I don't know how my teacher could say that I had a good day... I had three markers and we're only supposed to have one. When she told me to put two of them away she was SO angry at me!"

This would be a good opportunity to make a a chart that shows the "levels of transgression". Make a list with her of all kinds of possible classroom transgressions, and then give each one a rank of 1 (minor) to 10 (really bad). Point out that a day with only a few 1's or 2's is a good day. She's falling into the trap that my daughter did at that age of strong emotions leading to 'black and white' thinking. By using cognitive strategies like this, we were able to slowly override the emotional black and white thinking.
    At the end of the school day each day DD is absolutely shattered. She has NO resilience left. She often bursts into tears over the littlest thing, often on the way to the car. She spends most of the rest of the day being touchy, perfectionistic, and self-sabotaging.

The more tired she is, the more likely she's going to have these kind of emotional problems. Down-time and free time are so valuable and so underrated, in my opinion. If she's doing that well at play dates, I don't think she needs the social skills group, (but maybe they won't tell you that because they want your money). OT is not a proven therapy; it's possible running around and climbing on the playground is just as good. I couldn't afford OT for my DD - now at age 7, her sensory issues have mostly resolved themselves, and she's much more comfortable in the classroom environment. As for CBT, (which I assume is Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy), I wish I could have afforded this for my DD... but it all depends about the particular therapist. If it's a good one, your DD will probably enjoy going to him/her and will feel that it's helpful. If not, you may want to drop it, or find someone else. Since I couldn't afford CBT, I did what I could myself using books, such as "Freeing your child from negative thinking", and "What to do when you grumble too much". Great books. Highly recommended!

Downtime and freetime are the best medicine, but since they don't cost anything, no one is trying to sell them to you. I would strip down her schedule as much as possible and see what happens. The other thing I noticed was at that age, she needed to eat more often that she does now, and that fatigue along with hunger would really mess up her brain.

Good luck! Five was such a difficult age, but for me it has gotten so much better!

S
    S
    It is possible to take a break from OT so that your child can have some down time. My OT gave us tons of activities to do for a home program during a break plus I found some additional activities in books and online...I didn't call it OT home program. Just, hey, let's do this fun thing together. And then when she is less fatigued pick back up with OT.

I wouldn't drop the social skills class IMO or the CBT if it is going well. Possibly move some of the play dates to the weekend?

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    M
    M
    As a therapist, I would recommend two things:

1. If your state has Targetted Case Managers or another type of Care Coordinator, get connected with this type of service. They can help you hash through what is helpful therapy interventions and what is just overkill. Twice a week of CBT for a 5 yr old sounds like overkill. Realize that a provider does have the dual investment of wanting to do good, but also wanting to make money.

2. Rest time is equally as valuable as therapy and skills practice time. It gives kids time to process all the new skills they've learned. Even blanking out in front of the TV can be incredibly therapeutic when there are lots of social experiences to process.

Originally Posted by moomin
    Left to my own devices, my instinct would be to cut back on OT, CBT, or social skills rather than on playdates... but the problem with doing so is that her school knows that DD is receiving these services, which makes them more prepared to work through any rough patches (as she's working on those issues outside of school).

My instincts on this situation are in agreement with yours. Play is a wonderful and highly-valuable component in child development, so that needs to be protected. And it doesn't sound like your DD is getting much value from the professional services at all. Cutting those out and letting your DD have some downtime before bed could make all the difference in the world in her behavior.

As for the school... if they already know you've sought professional services for your DD... is there any reason to tell them you've stopped?

U
    U
    I would keep the CBT above all. This is obviously my outsider's perspective, but my sense of your DD is definitely that she has anxiety and that it could perhaps be her primary diagnosis. I am no expert, but we have been told that anxiety can create a lot of other issues, including apparent social skills problems, etc.

My anxious DD LOVES playdates but is also worn out by them. Also, she is on the SPD side of things but has continued to outgrow the behaviors without any treatment.

S
    S
    I would at least ask for a home program for the sensory OT and reduce your sensory OT to just once in a while (whatever the OT thinks is appropriate...once a month, ever other month?)....those activities can be done at home and really shouldn't be just once a week but throughout the day each day.

Maybe the gross motor could be reevaluated for helpfulness?

I do agree that I would keep the social skills and CBT in place....maybe the two providers could coordinate because it sounds like she has the actual social skills, just interprets situations differently so her reactions are off. You are lucky to have those.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    E
    E
    I would consider eliminating the sensory OT, and scheduling more playdates at places where kids will naturally have sensory stimulation - parks with monkey bars, etc.

I would go with your instinct and cut out all of the professional services, since you don't seem to have much faith that they are helping.

Through her playdates, she's learning social skills naturally, through play with other kids. If she has challenges, you can work through these with her as they happen, with love and empathy. Plus, with the playdates, she's building REAL relationships and REAL friendships, which is the ultimate goal of building "social skills".

The major social problems that they're dealing with are, a) accepting that peers are not judging or thinking ill of DD, b) not overwhelming peers with love and attention, and equally not expecting absolute reciprocity and fidelity in relationships, and c) not acting out of fear or social anxiety in complex and dynamic social situations.
    Are those the social issues that they work on in the Thursday social skills class? If they're not working on the specific skills she needs, then I don't think it's very helpful.

Her therapist says that she has never worked with an adult or child more clearly in-touch with her emotions and motivations than DD, and that DD seems to innately know what the correct course of action will be... but at 5 she just can't apply those skills.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like the therapist really doesn't know how to help her. As a parent, though YOU are best able to learn to apply these skills by discussing her day with her every day, praising the positives and helping her learn to reflect in a positive way. Patience and maturity will help a lot.

It takes a lot of courage to go with your instinct, but if your only reason for keeping these services is because you think the school will be less likely to work with you, I don't think that's a good reason, as these services seem to be doing more harm than good because of her lack of downtime.

If it ever comes up, I'd just tell the school that you couldn't afford the services anymore. Where I live, these sort of things cost over $100/hr and are not covered by insurance unless you have a diagnosis.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM