Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    I bought DD a National Geographic almanac a few days ago. She is obsessed and hasn't put it down since. DH had to take it from her today while out to dinner, in which she begged to read it while eating and while walking, and while basiclaly doing everything lol

Beside the little National Geographic books (she goes through those like water and we have just about every one) are there books you recommend similar that have tons of facts about animals or science type stuff?

L
    L
    How old is your DD?

My DD has enjoyed the Basher Science books when she is first exploring at a topic. If she is interested, she then finds more books on our next library trip.

Last edited by Loy58; 10/09/13 05:44 PM.
    B
    B
    DS who is 6 likes the "I Wonder Why" books, which answer questions on various topics (including animals)

M
    M
    I bought a national geographic ( adult- coffee table type book) for ds6 last year at a used bookstore. He carried it everywhere! Also, if animals are an interest, a book called Safari was a big hit (it's a photo lenticular book).

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by Loy58
    How old is your DD?

My DD has enjoyed the Basher Science books when she is first exploring at a topic. If she is interested, she then finds more books on our next library trip.

DD just turned 7 last week.

Thanks for all the ideas!

She has a huge interest in animals and science. She has been saying since she was 4, maybe younger, that she wants to be a veterinarian smile

Last edited by jholland1203; 10/10/13 06:35 AM.
    C
    C
    I know you're looking for books so this is off topic but has she seen Kratt's Creatures -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RYkBflhbg

They are a bit dated but have lots of great info about a lot of animals. DS7 is doing animals at school right now and is exhausting the teacher with all of the animal facts that he's absorbed from that show over the past couple of years.

The Kratt brothers also have a newer series called Wild Kratts which is mostly animated and has villains that they save the animals from. Underneath the cartoon stuff they actually do cover a lot of info about animals but it is a bit more subtle. It's a good gateway show for kids that don't like "boring science" shows like my nephews.

M
    M
    My DD (almost 6) loves Wild Kratts. She's also a big fan of Mythbusters, and some of the Imax movies.

Her favorite book right now is My First Question and Answer Book. There are quite a few animal sections in it, and lots of science. The categories are Space, Planet Earth, Oceans, Weather, Science, Inventions, Human Body, Dinosaurs, Bugs, Reptiles & Amphibians, Birds, Mammals, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Rome, Vikings, Knights & Castles, Pirates and Explorers.

We also buy quite a few of the non-fiction supplement books in the Magic Treehouse series. There are so many that involve animals: Rainforests, Sabertooths and the Ice Age, Dolphins and Sharks, Polar Bears and the Arctic, etc.

If she likes birds, I would recommend the Backyard Bird Song guide.

We also use Magic Schoolbus books as a jumping off point, and then explore topics further with library books.

N
    N
    DD7 is obsessed with the "Who Would Win" books -- "Who Would Win, Cobra vs Komodo Dragon", "Who Would Win, Whale vs Giant Squid", etc.

They are pretty small books, but they have lots of information and cool pictures, and they pit the strengths and weaknesses of each animal against each other to determine which one would win if they fought.

She gets them from Scholastic.

C
    C
    We have found and/or been given some great encyclopedia type books designed for kids that DS really enjoys. I know he has at least one focused on unusual animals. They are big books, so lots of content. He also has one on dinosaurs, one on aviation, etc., etc. They make great gifts from grandparents. Barnes & Noble and Amazon have quite a variety of them.

Originally Posted by Nautigal
    DD7 is obsessed with the "Who Would Win" books -- "Who Would Win, Cobra vs Komodo Dragon", "Who Would Win, Whale vs Giant Squid", etc.

They are pretty small books, but they have lots of information and cool pictures, and they pit the strengths and weaknesses of each animal against each other to determine which one would win if they fought.

She gets them from Scholastic.

Definitely not for everyone, but there are also some real-world videos on Youtube that illustrate such things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM